Is the Monitor Audio BR2 bright?

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
 My new system (Cambridge A.540 C v2 cd player and NAD 325BEE) looking for budget(sub 250) standmount speaker. I read about the Monitor. Audio BR 2 in some reviews  that can be bright compared with Wharfedale Diamond 9 series,W.  Pacific Evo 2, Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1. I intend to avoid brigth speakers (for me Tannoy Sensys DC 2, Kef IQ 3, M. Short 902i, M. Audio Silver RS 1  are speakers with bright top end because I can not listen them for a long time with classical music).What is your opinion about Monitor A. BR 2 ( I have no possibility to try this speaker)? Can it be bright in my system?

Thank you for reply

A

Anonymous

If you find the MA Silver too bright, most likely you'll also find bright the BR2.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
ÿÿThank you, the Diamondÿ9.1ÿ is very goood, but I consider the M. Audio BR 2ÿorÿtheÿWharfedaleÿPacificÿEvoÿ2 8 are bigger with deeper bass, I suppose.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
It is possible, I ask you how is the Wharfedale Evo 2 10 compared with M. Audio BR 2, Wharfedales have generally a sweet top end?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Tibor:My new system (Cambridge A.540 C v2 cd player and NAD 325BEE) looking for budget(sub 250) standmount speaker. I read about the Monitor. Audio BR 2 in some reviews that can be bright compared with Wharfedale Diamond 9 series,W. Pacific Evo 2, Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1. I intend to avoid brigth speakers (for me Tannoy Sensys DC 2, Kef IQ 3, M. Short 902i, M. Audio Silver RS 1 are speakers with bright top end because I can not listen them for a long time with classical music).What is your opinion about Monitor A. BR 2 ( I have no possibility to try this speaker)? Can it be bright in my system?

Thank you for reply

Perhaps I'm wrong here but did'nt we go through all this a couple of days ago?

A

Anonymous

The MA BR2's aren't bright at all, IMO.I had mine run through components from various manufacturers, all priced way above what these speakers cost, and they performed splendidly always.

These speakers offer very good detail resolution and has a nice balance across all music genre, with the exception of hard rock, which isn't an affinity for me anyway.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I used these with a Rotel RA-04 amp and a Marantz CD6002 and they are not bright at all IMO. Very good speakers for the money. I also had the RS1......awful sounding speaker IMO. Bright as hell.

matthewpiano

I had a pair of BR2s and didn't find them bright. I actually thought they were a bit thick and syrupy sounding - lacking in sparkle with a range of different amps. I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. To me there are better speakers including the Diamond 9.1s. If you can find a pair of Tannoy Sensys 1s they leave the MAs for dead in every way. They were a more expensive speaker but are end of line and you might be able to pick some up for less than £200 if anyone has stock left. Those new Dalis look worth exploring as well.

Alternatively, look at second hand. There are plenty of lovely B&W DM601s and the like about and they sound superb.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately your budget dictates certain compromises, most notably the quality of drive units as many manufacturers tend to spend cash on the looks of the cabinet though even there thats often just skin deep. There is also a trend these days to voice speakers with a sharp treble and upper mid lift.

There are some notable exceptions which tend to stick to basic design but good engineering, exactly what you want in a budget speaker. Have a look at the best buy section in this magazine.

Alternatively, consider a pair of Mordaunt Short MS10i's (or 20i's) second hand. They don't sound anything like the companies current entry products (a lot of Epos input in a cheaper cabinet, courtesy of robin marshall) and I'd say you'd be hard pushed to find any speaker under £250 to significantly better them today. You can find them for between £10 and 50 or so, depending on condition.

We tried a pair of the smaller 10's a while ago in direct comparison with some PMC DB1i. It was interesting ...

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I suppose the Tannoy Sensysÿ1 should be better than M.A. BR 2,butÿIÿamÿafraidÿofÿitsÿtitaniunÿtwenterÿbecause I experienced many speakersÿwithÿthisÿtypeÿofÿtwenterÿ(CelestionÿFÿseries,ÿFocalÿJMÿLabÿ700ÿseriesÿwereÿbrightÿforÿme).
The new Dali Lektor 1 is good, but with weak bass response because ofÿits size

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
ÿThanks, I suppose I can find this type of M. Short, I think speakers should be natural sounding more than give a big amount of detail from cd.This is very important if you have budget cd players or if you want to listen violin concerto for hours.

A

Anonymous

Tibor, I also listen mainly to classical music (I'd say 95%) and I also hate brigth speakers. I'll list some of the speakers I've had below GBP 500, and what I think about them regarding brightness (not judging them in any other way):

Not bright:

Tannoy System 600 and 800

Tannoy Reveal

Tannoy Mercury MX1 and MX4-M

Tannoy Saturn S6

Tannoy Definition 500

Wharfedale Evo2-10

Mission M31

AE Aegis Evo One

Moderatley bright / or sometimes bright / needing carefull matching:

Epos ELS3, M5, M12.2

B&W 602

Tannoy Sensys DC1

Tannoy Precision 8

Definitely bright:

Focal Cobalt 806

Paradigm Titan

Paradigm M5 and M7

Revel M12

So, again, Tannoy Fusion or Wharfedale Evo are still for me the better choice at those prices. Both have highs nicely integrated into the mids. You can barely notice there is a tweeter at all! I'm not saying they are better or worse, overall, than a MA BR2 or other speaker near the price. I'm just saying they have the softer highs at this price.

Regards,

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Tannoyite, it was a great help. For me the word bright is mean unnatural, not easy to listen for hours. I think Warfedale Evo 2 or M. AudioÿBrÿ2 will be my speaker next week, but I would be glad with a Tannoy Revolution 1 also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts