Is the Denon avr capable of pre outing with another amp ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Guys - can't seem to crack this issue. Have added a Nait XS to a Denon 2309 in order to get a better stereo but still keep 5.1 . New front speakers have replaced old ones which are now the new rears !

So am trying to get the Denon 2309 to join with Nait XS AV input and the Unity gain switch on through 2 rca to 5 pin din from front and left channels of avr pre out.

All correct but am still not getting a squeak out of the front speakers - why ? Do I need to go through the set up and assign proces of all the speakers again with the Denon audyssey again ? Is that why the Denon amp is not recognising the new speakers which are wired from the Nait xs but are linked via the pre outs ?

Thanks in advance

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi peebs,

Got your message...but might only have limit info on this, as I have never done it myself.

Roughly, you need to connect the 2309 to the Nait XS via pre outs etc, as you ahve done.

Then on the Nait XS, put the volume control to 12 o'clock or something rememorable....then go through the audessey set up on the 2309 again, but with both amp and receiver on. You should hear the 'pop' noises from the calibration through all speakers if connected correctly.

Once set up is complete, you will have to put your Nait XS amp on and at the 12 o'clock position, as well as your 2309 for home cinema, but only the Nait if using it for CD use. (But maybe not at 12 o'clock!!)

Hope that helps and answers your questions.......

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd suspect the cable configuraton - are you sure the cable you have is a phono-to-DIN inpute cable, or a DIN-to-phono output? I'd go for a standard phono cable between the two.

A

Anonymous

Thanks A / P for the comments

I;ve pretty well got the technology covered ie correct pre outs to correct av input on the XS ( the issue of cable direction and type I cleared with Mr Naim - rca to 5 pin din ) although they might say that !

And I flicked the unity av by pass switch..... so why not sound from the fronts

The by pass function works because when I go to use the Naim remote nothing happens and the Denon remote works the volume for centre and rears. So it's been recognised.

I woke up this morning wondering if the problem is that I was over cautious when setting the original volume gain on the Nait amp so that consequently there is nothing there for the Denon to work on ? I can't remember but it could have been as early as 8 oclock - not when I woke but when I set the volume dial originally .

Do you think this is the reason for the silence ? And if so do I have to go back and start all over again. ie de connect , re connect, flick unity gain switch , set at 12 oclock which is the memorable setting Pete suggested and then go from there ...

Counter intuiively I also tried to go in via the audyssey calibration - but the mic didn't recognise the front speakers because they are not wired from the Denon so does that mean you have to accept what you get manually from the initial level of the fronts via the pre out/ xs arrangement and then fiddle with the centre and surrounds for balance ? Or will the audyssey recognise the fronts when they are set at a sufficient gain to begin with ?

BTW for those in future who attempt this crazines in the pursuit of both great stereo and reasonable surround - if you are using a Denon it's not grounded so I had to buy a cheapie ground loop isolator to remove the terrible humm from the fronts whenever av on the Nait is engaged

Please reply , thanks

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Peebs

I've got a similar set up but with a Yamaha receiver and Nait5i.

I don't know if the XS is the same but I had to refer to the manual and do some jiggery pokery first - all very easy though.

This is from the Naim amp manual (but obviously pre dates the XS)

"To select Unity Gain, first switch the preamplifier into program mode by pressing and holding the handset prog key (with the handset in preamplifier mode). The front panel source mute button (NAC 202, and NAC 122x, mute button, Nait 5i av input button) will illuminate if Unity Gain is selected. If it is not enabled it can be switched on by pressing the same button twice. "

Source / copyright - Naim Audio - http://www.naim-audio.com/products/intro_manuals.html

A

Anonymous

The XS manual is clear on this facility. And unlike Roger's Nait 5i there's a simple switch on the rear panel to flick.

The key may lie in the original volume setting on the Nait xs prior to enaging the av by pass function - set it too low and you won't hear anything set it too high and it will dominate the surround sound balance . So like Goldilocks it needs to " just right "

A

Anonymous

is there any significance in the sequence here ie a) interconnects b) engage av input on XS c) set volume on xs c) flick rear switch

or is there are different and more correct sequence

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Magnum Opus:
The XS manual is clear on this facility. And unlike Roger's Nait 5i there's a simple switch on the rear panel to flick.

The key may lie in the original volume setting on the Nait xs prior to enaging the av by pass function - set it too low and you won't hear anything set it too high and it will dominate the surround sound balance . So like Goldilocks it needs to " just right "

But isn't the volume setting on the Naim completely irrelevant? On my Nait it can be on zero or max and makes no difference...

A

Anonymous

True - but that's after the volume on the Nait xs dial has been set. From that moment of connection between denon avr and nait xs the denon remote takes over , until then it's in Nait's hands... I think !

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No: in unity gain mode the Naim is merely acting as a power amplifier on that particular input. Any volume setting made before unity gain is engaged and the relevant input selected has no effect whatsoever

A

Anonymous

Andrew you were right - the cable I was using Chord Chrysalis rca to 5 pin din must have been dodgy.

Swapped it for a rca to rca Chord crimson and hey presto !

It may not be a faulty cable of course it may be that the denon to Nait xs with din connection is incompatible. Some day I 'll try a different but similar interconnect.

I know have to test whether the ground hum was also caused by this cable . But with the ground loop isolator it's all but disappeared .

Now I can start enjoying the comparison between the straight stereo via the XS into the Spendor A6's and the surround ( but in pure direct mode ) of the denon to nait and spender route.

No contest of course - there is appreciable loss of clarity from the pre outs.But what it has given me is a vastly improved 5.1 .So I'm happy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts