Is technical information in addition to reviews helpful?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Is specific technical info about a particular product helpful or just pointless. Is it important to you. I am talking about colour triangles/D65 etc. settings out of box and after calibration with perhaps hints how to optimize specific models/brands.

Your thoughts ...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The settings might be useful, but I've no idea what "colour triangles/D65" and all that is, so it wouldn't mean anything to me. I bought an issue of Hi-Fi news last month for a bookshelf speaker roundup and the reviewer(s) in there were giving all sorts of graphs and figures, none of which meant anything to me at all.

I work in IT incidentally, so I'm used to technical, errr, stuff (inspiring isn't it?), but none of that lot would make a difference to me.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not really, I'm only really concerned about its performance in terms of the possible picture / sound quality. Colour temperature of xxxxK means very little to me, whereas, "colours are a little washed out" is something I can visualise and is therefore helpful. I know some find the technical data interesting and useful, but I would suggest they are very much in the minority.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:I know some find the technical data interesting and useful, but I would suggest they are very much in the minority.

Magazine sales figures tend to concur with you, prof chap.

A

Anonymous

I think there should be some sort of measurement of audio and visual products.

Human subjective reviewing can't always be consistent.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Techno Jargon graphs and stats are an instrument to cover up lack of ability of the writer to express in words what he is is hearing or seeing, i.m.h.o..Whathifi system of a review team singing off a well versed hymn sheet in terms of what is demanded of products is much more accessible and readable format.The measuring stick they use are other products in the same price catagory.The mag aint broke....All I.M.H.O

idc

drummerman:

Is specific technical info about a particular product helpful or just pointless. Is it important to you. I am talking about colour triangles/D65 etc. settings out of box and after calibration with perhaps hints how to optimize specific models/brands.

Your thoughts ...

I think technical information is only needed if there is a particular issue with a product e.g. this TV has only one scart.

Hints on optimising performance would be very good e.g. on review the contrast setting was found to best at 55%.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Is this your third tack on this subject, drummerman...?

Nop, a fresh attempt at something that happens to interest me AE. Glad to see you follow and count my postings though. Also glad to see that so far, you're right and to the average WHS&V reader, technical intricacies seem unimportant. You've done your MR thoroughly no doubt and I'm not being sarcastic [EDITED BY MODS - PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS MODERATION]

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Incidentally, we're shortly to launch a big new research campaign (online and in-mag), so watch out for details in the coming months. There'll be some juicy incentives to join in, too, in form of some tempting prizes.....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
professorhat:I know some find the technical data interesting and useful, but I would suggest they are very much in the minority.

Magazine sales figures tend to concur with you, prof chap.

Perhaps but would you sell less copies if you'd include some basic charts even if its only in small box? Those that are not interested will ignore them, but for others, which will probably include many that purchase expensive 'premium' products or just tech heads, you perhaps gain even more credibility/readership. I'd hazard a guess and say that some will want more information than you provide. Perhaps they bought the Ultimate guide, then again they may just went with another mag that prints technical findings or resort to e-test sites in addition of looking at the product in person after doing the research. What's there to loose, perhaps 2 or three less product reviews/editorials or an advert or three less for reasons of limited space. You have to strike a balance but we are talking about often very complex technology and anything that explains why something works/looks the way it does and what can be done if it does'nt quite life up to expectations could be helpful. Measurements, even if they are not the sole deciding factor, don't lie. Personal opinions no matter how well qualified/trained, can at best be subjective. As you are apparently using ISF certified equipment, printing your findings is, I assume, a question of page space rather than anything else.

Anyway, interested the see if there's someone here that agrees with me
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm afraid you do seem to be in a very small minority here, drummerman, based on both the responses of others and the circulations of the magazines on the market at the moment.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Well, so far you've asked basically the same question in three separate threads, with much the same response...

Third time lucky perhaps? There have been a couple of 'almosts'. Joking aside, there surely most be others and it's hardly prime thread time yet so if you are genuinely interested in what your readership thinks, even if it's only a minority (or one person
emotion-1.gif
), you can, as I am, a bit more patient. It's only constructive criticism from my point of view but if we carry this bantering on between ourselves I'm pretty sure few will have the inclanation to reply or guts to agree with me. Ta

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:
if you are genuinely interested in what your readership thinks,

So you missed my post about the massive research campaign we're kicking off shortly?
emotion-2.gif

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
drummerman:

Your thoughts ...

Well... I would find it very helpful TBH. I would very much appreciate the basic settings after calibration for tv's and amount of jitter found in digital players being included in reviews.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:drummerman:
if you are genuinely interested in what your readership thinks,

So you missed my post about the massive research campaign we're kicking off shortly?
emotion-2.gif

No I did'nt and it's obviously a good thing Clare. Just the usual bickering with AE, no offense intended. Anyway, I keep out of this now so others hopefully give their views.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:but if we carry this bantering on between ourselves

I'm not bantering, just trying to answer your points, however increasingly illogical they may become.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Incidentally, we're shortly to launch a big new research campaign (online and in-mag), so watch out for details in the coming months. There'll be some juicy incentives to join in, too, in form of some tempting prizes.....

That sounds great, Clare. You may count me in. By the way, is there any chance those juicy incentives could be awarded to people outside the UK?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
drummerman:but if we carry this bantering on between ourselves

I'm not bantering, just trying to answer your points, however increasingly illogical they may become.

Well, I won't give you the pleasure to ban me just yet so I'll keep anything personal out of the equation but I can't see where illogical comes in with regards to this thread. I'll give this thread back to other users/readers but you just carry on if you feel like it.

A

Anonymous

Subwoofers!!!!!!!!!!! a rough idea of how low a subwoofer goes would be handy as manufactures seem to just make this kinda thing up! MJ quote 13hz for the pro 50 mmmmmmmmm my chins getting itchy

Messiah

If think if technical information correlated with review outcomes then maybe it would worth printing. However, I am sure we are all aware that the CD player or Amp etc with the best figures does not always give the best sound. I can also imagine that whilst the figures may be useful, I can see them causing more issues - especially on this forum if nothing else.

'Why was that (a) CD player given a better rating than (b) CD player when it's figures are poorer?? and 'I used the TV settings you printed but my picture is rubbish' etc etc.

What HiFi is what it is. I am not saying it is perfect but we all know the formula.

If we want technical data we all know where to go to get that too.

The fact that the various publications present the data in different ways certainly gives us a better all round idea of a product.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts