Is quality affected by streaming across a wireless network from a NAS?

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi,
I’m moving – slowly – towards having all my music on my computer. Ultimately I’ll look to acquire the HRT Music Streamer and use this to feed in to my Rotel RA-04. It won’t be perfection but it should be pretty good I think.

I’ve read a lot about bit perfect, asio, foober, winamp and KS, but one further question occurs. If I wanted to store my music collection on a NAS, and stream it to the laptop – which will be connected to the DAC – via wireless N, could this affect the quality in any way?

I know streaming music over a wireless N network is more than feasible in terms of bandwidth, but I didn’t know if there would be any unseen pitfalls regarding reproduction at the laptop end of things etc. I’m hoping not because this would be a good solution for me, but then I hadn’t realised there were all the issues around bit perfect reproduction until I read around a bit either.

Interested in your thoughts.

Cheers.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i haven't personally streamed via wireless, but as long as the bandwidth is available there should be no problem, the data is error checked and if it's not right gets re-sent.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Craig M.:i haven't personally streamed via wireless, but as long as the bandwidth is available there should be no problem, the data is error checked and if it's not right gets re-sent.

That's right. If the sound gets there, it will be the same as if it had been sent through a wire.

A

Anonymous

Bandwidth should not be a problem. Quality is not affected, but drop-outs may occur due to low signal strength, heavy other wifi traffic including George and Mildred next door, installed programs that do auto-updates in the background, or pc drivers that block your system for too long, Homeplugs are a decent alternative and could be more reliable. A set of 200mbs plugs are only 55 euros here (do not expect 200mbs though)

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Agreed - when it's network traffic it either gets there perfectly or not at all. Interference is the biggest potential enemy with streaming music wirelessly.

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
remember wireless audio quality is affected not only by Bandwidith but also strength of the signal. Make sure no magnets or lead wallz
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have a NAS in my office, about 60/70 foot from my house connected to my router, also connected is a homeplug (devolo85Mps). in my house I have one wireless homeplug connected to my sonos Z90, sending music to my dinning room, kitchen and living room. In my living room its connected to my hifi, and most of my friends who listen to it, say how good it sounds.I've been using it for about a year, and never had a drop-out with the music, and only 2/3 times with the radio for a few seconds.

Paul.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts