Is ordering electronics on the internet a risk?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know that more and more people are ordering stuff from the internet, but for me it's really difficult to decide whether
to buy online of offline.

I could buy the Sony BDV-FS350 for 349 pounds at the local electronics store at the centre of my own town or
i could buy the better version, the Sony BDV-360FS for practically the same money, but then i have to order it online or
travel quite a while to get it.

What would you suggest?

A

Anonymous

Use a credit card is the main tip, the card company takes liability, never ever use a debit card, different rules!

A

Anonymous

buy the best one ... travel to collect ... make a day of it ... visit places you have never seen

if you buy the 'lesser' product for the same price, you will always 'wonder' how much better it would have been if you did

A

Anonymous

I'd recommend researching the online seller on the net. You usually find there's a concensus of opinion on the good and bad.

As suggested previously, using a credit rather than debit card is definitely recommended. I've shopped online for years and have never had a problem.

If you're sensible, there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy the benefits of the higher spec product for the same price as the cheaper one.

Cheers

LL

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for your replies. I will decide within the next month which home cinema system i buy,
but am i right that the Sony BDV-360FS home cinema system is better than the Sony BDV-FS350?

I am not sure yet, because the Sony S350 Blu-ray player that comes with the BDV-FS350 is more expensive then
the S360, but actually is a older model. Both Blu-Ray players have 5 stars on this site, so performance should be similar, right?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
ignore everything i said above looking at the spec they are the same blu ray player - all extra connections amps ect are in the sub on the two you mention the 350 and 360 - the 350 is a discontinued product though - sorry for confusion

also ignore the one i suggested above as has no extra hdmi inputs to connect other sauces

A

Anonymous

Buying through Amazon or from a reputable retailer via their website, using a credit card not a debit card, is relatively risk free these days. I certainly check out on-line prices before I go shopping on foot.

Beware of EBay private vendors as sometimes people are less than honest and you are reliant on the seller being honest. From experience it's pot luck and things can be damaged in the post despite best efforts to package things up properly. Also sellers often have unrealistic expectations of what a used product is. It is USED, not brand new, so a few flaws must be expected unless the vendor describes it as perfect, and even then he may quite honestly be unaware of a scratch, flaw, mark, etc.

Many vendors sell ex-demo or end of range stock on their websites rather than in their stores, and some real bargains can be had as a result, e.g. I saved nearly 400 Pounds on a pair of ex-demo £1500 (full price) speakers buying on line.

Also, buying online usually means delivery to your door, no travel, no parking, no going into town on Saturday, no trying to squeeze huge floorstander speakers into a small car (or worse, trying to get them home on the bus), no screaming kids and / or wife to deal with, etc. etc.

A

Anonymous

Visa debit cards do offer protection, but you would need to read all the fine print

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I buy loads of stuff online so here my tuppence.

Buying online is great as long as its a reputable site.
I would check the contact details first and if all thats supplied is a mobile phone number stear clear.

I always use my credit card but have yet had to claim.

The big issue comes if you need to return stuff.
It is easier to return to a shop than return via post/courirer.

Having said that, Amazon returns are second to none I was recently surprisingly impressed when I had to return an item.
Don't be confused by buying at a 'marketplace' seller on any of the big sites, they do not offer the same service as the hosting site.
Recently returned stuff to an Amazon marketplace seller, as it was not as described, and the whole deal has cost me money :-(

On the whole I would rather buy online (if its cheaper) and wait for delivery.

A

Anonymous

You need to be careful with regards how much security you believe you have when shopping online with a credit card.

If you bought something through an Amazon marketplace for example, you pay Amazon with your credit card and Amazon in turns pays the seller, so a third party is involved and you lose any protection under section 75 if the item is faulty, not as described, or not-delivered (http://www.choose.net/money/guide/articles/credit-cards/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act-guide.html).

While you should be ok with Amazon - it's still worth keeping in mind that you don't always have the total protection a credit card can offer when you shop via Paypal or through the Amazon marketplace for example.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts