Question Is my system considered “Hi-Fi”?

Dipy

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
My audio system:
PC -> USB out -> Fiio K5 Pro ->
(1) RCA out -> Edifier S1000db
(2) Amp out -> Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 (2013)

I’m thinking of upgrade:
1. DAC/AMP to Topping D90SE & A90 stack
2. Headphone to HD600 / HD800s / Hifiman Arya
3. Speakers to Yamaha HS8 and HS8s (subwoofer)

Will I get a much more better audio quality or the upgrade will not be very audible?
With my system right now I can’t hear any difference between Spotify and Tidal Hi-Fi. Is it my ears or my system or it’s actually not much different between those 2 streaming service file quality.
I also ripped some CDs and listen to the original PCM wav file but it’s the same with Spotify…

Any recommendations for DAC, AMP and Headphones (dynamic/planar)

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Doing a bit of research the Fiio K5 Pro you own works well with headphones that don't require an earthquake to power. Whilst I own the Topping D90 and Topping A90, I haven't owned the Fiio do be able to do a direct comparison.

Don't get me wrong, the Topping combo you have listed is certainly an End Game Setup. Going from standard PC and Creative sound card audio to that was transformational for me, but i'm not sure if it would be as drastic for you.

The thing to remember about streaming is you will always have limitations
- Internet (streaming purposes)
- Original File Quality

From that standpoint I always find the local files I have (whether a perfect CD or Hi Res) always sound better than the streamed counterparts.

Regarding the DAC/AMP From my experience with the choices on the market now, it all depends on your audio source, transport requirements and output requirements. If you are just using USB as your input, then for what you have stated, you could pay a fraction of the cost of the A90 and D90 stack for the audio experience. The Topping EX5 would give you that for around $350 instead of over £1000.

I highly suggest you do plenty of research first before taking the plunge. As well as sites like What HiFi, checkout hifiguides, ASR, and Z Reviews.

As with all options though, you would need powered speakers. Not being a speaker guy, others on this forum will definitely have better advice than me on that.

From a headphones standpoint, if talking midfi headphones then the Hifiman Sundara and Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro cannot be overlooked.

If you are going top of the line then check out Focal. the Elegia can be had for £500 and walk all over everything at and below that price point. At the £1000+ marker, you have the Celestee and Focal MG both as solid options depending on how you like your audio to sound (Celestee are forward focused, the MG have much more open Soundstage).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dipy

Dipy

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
If you are just using USB as your input, then for what you have stated, you could pay a fraction of the cost of the A90 and D90 stack for the audio experience.
Thanks for your reply 🙏🏻
Yes I’m using USB input tho since all my files are from PC (CD ripped, FLAC, Tidal, Spotify). What do you use or suggest other then USB input? For local files and streaming.

I will look up for your recommendations.

Friesiansam

Nothing wrong with using USB to output to a DAC/headphone amp. If you seriously intend to go for Sennheiser HD800s or HiFiMan Arya, I would strongly suggest you look for a higher end DAC/headphone amp. With headphones that good, you will hear the difference. When I bought my Focal Elegias I had an Audiolab M-DAC and the combination was pretty good but, upgrading to the Pathos Converto Mk2 was a huge improvement.

Reactions: Dipy

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
As Friesiansam has said above, their is certainly nothing wrong with using USB to output to a DAC. You get the best performance out of the D90 in that regard. Where I was going is performance between the D90 and the EX5 is alot closer than you'd think.

From an amplifier standpoint from an SNR perspective, their isn't a great deal with between the EX5 and the A90. You have very good performance from low and hi volume.

Next let's also consider what you actually get.

Both the D90SE/D90 have a whole multitude of inputs. Some of these are certainly aimed at True Audiophiles rather than enthusiasts
- IIS
- AES
- Optical
- COAX
- Bluetooth
- USB

Of those, USB, Optical and Bluetooth and Coax are the ones that you are going to find most useful. These are all present on the EX5.

The D90SE, A90 and EX5 all have balanced and unbalanced outputs to connect to other HIFI equipment or Powered Speakers.

Both A90 and EX5 have balanced XLR and Unbalanced Quarter Inch outputs (most common) for headphones.

For most people that connectivity is exactly what they'll want to use.

Next, what are the differences.
- The D90SE has 4 filters (Which in experience achieve little. I set mine to be the ones that gives the best SNR response)
- The D90SE performance is marginally superior
- The A90 can comfortably power Cans requiring a nuclear reactor (600 ohms). However as the best headphones don't need this then its a rather mute requirement.
- The A90 again being a dedicated AMP has marginally superior performance.
- The A90 has the rare 4mm balanced output.
- The A90 doubles it's output power under balanced operation. The EX5 does not.

Next, let's consider the known bugs.
1. MQA. The D90 has a known issue where in the D90 MQA the XMOS MQA USB chip upsamples all audio before hitting the DAC. I believe this has forced Topping to look a different chips and MQA impelmentations to circumnavigate this problem. my understanding is the transition to the SABRE chip has allowed Topping to dodge that bullet in the D90SE. However for myself, their is no workaround other than to use an inferior input to bypass the XMOS chip entirely :( (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ng-d90-balanced-usb-dac-review.10519/page-158)
2. Ground Loop between the D90 and A90 Stack on RCA. I understand this is still a known issue. The current workaround being use RCA to XLR Adapter cables when linking the two together or XLR to XLR. Depending on what you are doing, this might be a cause for concern. In a combined DAC AMP Combo, this isn't even an issue to begin with.
3. A90 Pot in some units has a favoured left balance. In the EX5 it's totally digital, and not analogue, so that isn't a problem.

Finally the difference in Cost. When you consider the Import Duty etc. for this now, you have to be a million % comitted, because those duties and tax (especially now we've left the EU) are going to sting the more expensive an item is.

I'm saying all of this not to put you off, but to seriously make you think about whether you are going to get the best out of it.....and if you need to spend that much money on the stack for your use case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and Dipy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts