Question Is LG NanoCell and Samsung QLED worth it over normal LCD?

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
I know there is always a lot of marketing words etc, but is LG NanoCell and Samsung QLED are they actually better than just LCD?

It’s hard to find info for them, as a lot is just marketing. Does it really help with contrast and colour, in a good way?

I’m looking for a new 65” and down to an LG or Samsung (I want Apple app and airplay 2 on), and it seems the QLED and NanoCell get good reviews.

Who h is best for motion as I hate to be able to see motion blur etc on sports for example.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

I know there is always a lot of marketing words etc, but is LG NanoCell and Samsung QLED are they actually better than just LCD?

It’s hard to find info for them, as a lot is just marketing. Does it really help with contrast and colour, in a good way?

I’m looking for a new 65” and down to an LG or Samsung (I want Apple app and airplay 2 on), and it seems the QLED and NanoCell get good reviews.

Who h is best for motion as I hate to be able to see motion blur etc on sports for example.

Thanks
What‘s your budget? Samsung QLED TVs are indeed better than LCD TVs they go brighter and blacker than them. I wouldn’t bother with NanoCell though I can’t think of one good TV they do.

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
The budget was low, but as looking into time more seems to increase! How we’ve still Max of £1000, maybe low but all can at moment.

QLED seem to get decent reviews but what is up with NanoCell you say? No LG TV is any good in your opinion? Why? They seem popular (doesn’t mean good I agree), but they look really good.

I thought NanoCell was the QLED comparison. Are they (QLED and NanoCell better in general to LCD though, is it worth the extra?

thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

The budget was low, but as looking into time more seems to increase! How we’ve still Max of £1000, maybe low but all can at moment.

QLED seem to get decent reviews but what is up with NanoCell you say? No LG TV is any good in your opinion? Why? They seem popular (doesn’t mean good I agree), but they look really good.

I thought NanoCell was the QLED comparison. Are they (QLED and NanoCell better in general to LCD though, is it worth the extra?

thanks
Something like this would be awesome at £1250 with £50 discount offered on the page still £250 over budget though:

QLED is the OLED comparison and currently QLED is winning in that battle.

D

Deleted member 2457

They have the Q80R available to at £1299 and delivered I will see if it’s cheaper:

D

Deleted member 2457

These QLEDs are said to be very good I don’t know if they do all your features though:

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for links. Still a lot over budget really though. Seems like you prefer Samsung QLED, can I ask why you doing like LG please? Is this in general or just the nanocell ones?

thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Thanks for links. Still a lot over budget really though. Seems like you prefer Samsung QLED, can I ask why you doing like LG please? Is this in general or just the nanocell ones?

thanks
Do you have to have a 65-inch TV? What about 55-inches? How far away are you are you viewing the TV?

I cant think of anyone I know on the forums who have ever bought a nano cell TV. LG OLED TVs are really good I have and own then still. You could get a LG 55-inch OLED for your budget. I will have another look around.

D

Deleted member 2457

I just think you can do better with your budget than a LG Nano Cell TV.

Samsung QLED TVs always have a VA panel. This means that the blacks are very deep and brightness and contrast are sufficient for HDR content. Only the viewing angle is limited, so colors slightly lose their luminosity when viewed at an angle and get a gray haze.

LG NanoCell TVs, on the other hand, use a whole different technology. IPS panels with different basic characteristics are used here. Here the viewing angle is much wider, but the blacks are not as deep and uniform. Particularly in very dark rooms, a dark gray stitch is noticeable on the screen due to the backlighting. IPS panels can handle reflections very well and have sufficient brightness to fight against many light sources in the room. On the other hand, the display of HDR details is rather difficult. However, some high-quality NanoCell TVs have additional Full Array Local Dimming to increase contrast. These properties make them very suitable for very bright rooms.

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
I currently have a Panasonic AS50 50”, not sure what panel that is.

I definitely want a 65” as this is the max I can fit where it will go. I sit about 9 ft away.

I’ve read up on the different type of panels now and it’s never been a factor before for me. I bet most people don’t realise as well. I’m not really sure if my is classed as a bright room, I suppose it is as has 2 windows 90 degrees in the room to the TV.

Regarding the Samsung Q60 looks like this is the bottom of the range and so has a lot of limitations?

Seems a lot of love for Samsung on here, wonder why none for LG and the Nanocell. Is it just that people don’t like the IPS on LG?

I won’t get an OLED as too pricy, burn in and it’s just overkill for me.

Thanks

Last edited:
Seems a lot of love for Samsung on here, wonder why none for LG and the Nanocell. Is it just that people don’t like the IPS on LG?
It's one member who loves his Samsung ;)

You need to understand the market dynamics to answer your question. LG has invested a lot on OLED. They have monopoly in OLED market (regardless of manufacturer, all OLED TVs have LG panel). OLED is their flagship, so they will naturally focus on promoting OLED, at the expense of NanoCell.

Samsung on the other hand has QLED as its flagship and so will naturally promote QLED heavily. That's why you'll see people talking about LG OLED or Samsung QLED. Nobody talks about NanoCell. This doesn't mean they're inferior or bad.

In my experience, the lower ranges of Samsung QLED aren't as good as the higher ranges. Even the reviews seem to testify this.

With shops reopening, hopefully you'll manage to see a side by side comparison to decide what's best for you.

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, everyone has opinion I agree and that’s why I try to take all answers.

I wouldn’t get an OLED as overkill, and too expensive.

To be honest I wouldn’t see difference in shop unless glaringly obvious, they all look great. I’m more for features, and that’s why I think I want one with Airplay 2 and Apple TV app built in. as that’s about the only streaming app that isn’t on my BT box

That's a sensible approach. In day to day viewing, you won't be comparing your TV side by side. Both Samsung and LG have Apple TV apps and AirPlay 2. Check Apple website for compatible models.

Reactions: PM_121

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Just nervous that this and other places seem not to like the LG NanoCell and LCD, yet they seem to sell a lot and they are in all shops, retail and online.

If had to get an LG is the NanoCell better or marketing only?

I’ve checked that link for Apple and it’s confusing, and not sure accurate for all the TVs tbh

Most of everything is marketing, whether QLED or NanoCell. The picture improvements are usually overstated. In reality, people will be happy with whatever they purchase. None of them are bad TVs.

Once you zero down to 2 or 3 TVs, you can look at the specs to ensure it has all that you want (including Apple TV app).

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
I thought QLED and NanoCell were actually something different to standard LED though, after actually cutting through the marketing.

I don’t want OLED as to expensive and burn in (family tends to leave stuff on pause a lot!), but if QLED and NanoCell are better happy to pay for them.

Had a chat with LG online eventually, most of the model numbers are very slight change, over hasn’t got BT, one has 360 VR etc, stuff that wouldn’t use.

There is 2 LG that look good, but after reading a lot one seems to have better spec, but a 2019 model. Both NanoCell, the 65SM8050 (2020) or 65SM9010 (2019). The 9010 seems to be higher spec, but an older model. The 8050 is £900 and the 9010 is £950. The higher spec one has “cinema HDR” Which has Dolby HDR as well, and has better local dimming. Not sure though, would prefer a 2020 ideally but the 2019 is better spec

I would prefer the 2020 model if I’m honest just for maybe future updates etc, but not sure on spec wise.

What would you buy, and why?
Thanks

Your correct though, maybe fussing too much about which model, when should just get one and I’ll probably think it’s great anyway. It’s more the professional AV people who notice the difference

D

Deleted member 2457

I thought QLED and NanoCell were actually something different to standard LED though, after actually cutting through the marketing.

I don’t want OLED as to expensive and burn in (family tends to leave stuff on pause a lot!), but if QLED and NanoCell are better happy to pay for them.

Had a chat with LG online eventually, most of the model numbers are very slight change, over hasn’t got BT, one has 360 VR etc, stuff that wouldn’t use.

There is 2 LG that look good, but after reading a lot one seems to have better spec, but a 2019 model. Both NanoCell, the 65SM8050 (2020) or 65SM9010 (2019). The 9010 seems to be higher spec, but an older model. The 8050 is £900 and the 9010 is £950. The higher spec one has “cinema HDR” Which has Dolby HDR as well, and has better local dimming. Not sure though, would prefer a 2020 ideally but the 2019 is better spec

I would prefer the 2020 model if I’m honest just for maybe future updates etc, but not sure on spec wise.

What would you buy, and why?
Thanks

Your correct though, maybe fussing too much about which model, when should just get one and I’ll probably think it’s great anyway. It’s more the professional AV people who notice the difference
Don’t buy this one:

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Ah ok that’s bad, it’s the SM9010PLA, wonder the SM90 series? Is different to that SM98 series?

I thought of it had full array local dimming it was to stop this! Back to drawing board then, as not sure how SM9010 will be now as that also has the full array.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2457

Ah ok that’s bad, it’s the SM9010PLA, wonder the SM90 series? Is different to that SM98 series?
Where did you see the good reviews of the LG TVs? Can you link them?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts