Is it worthwhile to buy a higher quality phono preamp for a Denon MD-39?

I'd like to know if anyone thinks it worthwhile to spend extra on a phono preamp for a system that uses a Denon MD39 (with no phono stage) and an Audio-Technica LP120 (which has a lacklustre preamp). I'm using PSB Image B25 speakers. In other words, would I notice the difference between an NAD PP2, for example, and say a Slee Amp 2 with this setup? Thanks!

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
no, save up for a decent turntable with built in phono preamp like something from the Project range, both of the phono preamps you mention would be overkill to use with the Denon or think about ditching the Denon and buy a separate amp.

*music2*

I'd not be convinced it was worth the investment either, though you might try an upgraded cartridge if you want to improve the sound.

As you appreciate, the Denon is a limiting factor. However, if you can home-trial a phono stage from a dealer, it might be what you are seeking.

Thanks for the advice. This setup is for a second stereo in the house and I want to keep the footprint fairly small. I like the Denon because it has the cd player built in, but there's not much out there in the way of an upgrade for a small receiver with cd. I'll try out a PP2 and if that doesn't have a suitable effect, I'll look for a better cartridge. I just tried the PP2 and it didn't make that much difference compared to the onboard preamp in the AT120.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts