Is it time for Tidal to lower its prices?

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
With Apple lossless now available and Spotify HiFi on the way, not to mention Amazon HD all coming in at a lower price, has Tidal priced itself out of the market?

It has the advantage of Roon integration and MQA (although that advantage is a different debate), but is it still a worthwhile proposition?

With Spotify Connect in so many devices already, could the HiFi tier become a decent alternative to Tidal's?

Tidal Hifi
£19.99
16/44 or higher
over 70m tracks
MQA, Tidal Connect, Roon integration

Amazon HD
£7.99 (for Prime subscribers)
16/44 or higher
over 75m tracks
smart device integration

Qobuz
£14.99
16/44 or higher
over 70m tracks
Roon integration, discounts on download purchases

Deezer
£14.99
16/44
73m tracks

Spotify HiFi
£TBC
16/44
Spotify Connect

Apple
£9.99
16/44 or higher
over 75m tracks

EDIT: to correct Qobuz price for paying monthly

Last edited:

Friesiansam

I f they are maintaining healthy subscriber numbers at the current prices, why would they reduce prices and reduce profits? That Tidal is a fashionable service to use, probably makes a price reduction unnecessary. The coming of hi-res Spotty, might change things.

To me it is not a worthwhile proposition. Qobuz has far more of the music that interests me and, there is no way I am replacing my Pathos DAC/headphone amp, for the questionable benefits of MQA. Although I don't use streaming very often, so cost doesn't matter too much, as I'm not paying every month.

Tinman1952

I don’t think Tidal have ever made a net profit and had declining annual revenue when Jayzee sold it to Jack Dorsey (of Square) for $302 million…..five times what he paid for it!
The business model is a joke and will never be profitable…..

Winter

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
With Apple lossless now available and Spotify HiFi on the way, not to mention Amazon HD all coming in at a lower price, has Tidal priced itself out of the market?

It has the advantage of Roon integration and MQA (although that advantage is a different debate), but is it still a worthwhile proposition?

With Spotify Connect in so many devices already, could the HiFi tier become a decent alternative to Tidal's?

Tidal Hifi
£19.99
16/44 or higher
over 70m tracks

Amazon HD
16/44 or higher
over 75m tracks
smart device integration

Qobuz
£12.99
16/44 or higher
over 70m tracks

Deezer
£14.99
16/44
73m tracks

Spotify HiFi
£TBC
16/44
Spotify Connect

Apple
£9.99
16/44 or higher
over 75m tracks
Ha . Don t think they will

Tidal Hifi
£19.99
16/44 or higher
over 70m tracks

Amazon HD
16/44 or higher
over 75m tracks
smart device integration

Qobuz
£12.99
16/44 or higher
over 70m tracks

Deezer
£14.99
16/44
73m tracks

Spotify HiFi
£TBC
16/44
Spotify Connect

Apple
£9.99
16/44 or higher
over 75m tracks
Hands tied ! For sure don t think they will have much choice .

manicm

Getting hires out of Apple Music is a pain in the arse albeit cheaper- there’s no ‘connect’ app and I guess there never will be.

Spotify may gradually offer true CD quality, but probably never hires.

So you’re really only left with Tidal and Qobuz for hires practically. And they can maintain their higher prices.

Tinman1952

Ah yes forgot Amazon HD - though this seems also a bit shaky for high res?
Actually the hi-res selection is pretty good. Most of the new stuff is UHD (up to 24/192) but the apps on iOS and PC need work as they don’t play the actual sample rate of the music but either the sample rate set on the computer or on an iPad for example they upsample everything to the maximum if your DAC will take it. Still it sounds pretty good…as good as Qobuz when I tried it. 🙂

Reactions: Niallivm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts