Is it possible to use two sources for speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I want to purchase a home cinema system and am undecided weather to use the KEF 3.1 sound bar system 7005 or a traditional 5.1 set up. I currently have an Arcam Solo Music with Arcam Alto speakers which I intend to keep as the sound is superb. But if I use a traditional 5.1 speaker set up could I utilise my Arcam Alto speakers as the front left and right speakers? This would require them to have two sources, one from the Solo and the other from the receiver. Is this possible without a reduction in sound quality? I do not want to add further front speakers into the living room to avoid clutter, so utilising the Arcam Alto speakers would be good.

John Duncan

It is possible, yes, provided you buy a receiver with pre-outs. Then you have cables running from the receiver to the Solo, and all the other speakers connect to the receiver. Search the forum for "pre outs" and you should find plenty of sets of instructions on how to do it. Most receivers above about the 400 quid mark have preouts, but do check the particular model you're interested in before parting with your hard-earned.

daveh75

idc:A friend of mine runs his hifi amps speaker cable to the main front two speakers and his AV amps speaker cables to all of the speakers including the main front two. He has bare wire from both amps speaker cables spliced into the speaker posts. It works fine and there is no noticeable drop in sound quality.Doing this isn't recommended, as if both amps are ever on at the same time, it could result in blowing one or both amps!!!

A

Anonymous

Alternatively has anyone had any experience with the KEF 7005 3.1 system, how does it compare to a traditional 5.1 system. I cannot find any proper reviews anywhere for this speaker set up.

I was thinking of getting a Sony STR-DN1000 as Richer Sounds have them on offer for £299. This receiver appears to have one pre out. I am going to get the speakers later on as still have to refurbish the living room. My setup is totally HDMI (PS3 and Sony Bravia W series TV) so it appears that from the reviews this receiver should be good.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
roberts5:

Alternatively has anyone had any experience with the KEF 7005 3.1 system, how does it compare to a traditional 5.1 system. I cannot find any proper reviews anywhere for this speaker set up.

I was thinking of getting a Sony STR-DN1000 as Richer Sounds have them on offer for £299. This receiver appears to have one pre out. I am going to get the speakers later on as still have to refurbish the living room. My setup is totally HDMI (PS3 and Sony Bravia W series TV) so it appears that from the reviews this receiver should be good.

If you don't mind me asking where have you seen reviews for the Sony STR-DN1000?

Could only find American ones online.

daveh75

The Sony STR-DN1000 only has a sub-out, it doesn't have the required Front left + Right pre-outs for connection to a stereo amp!

I'm not sure that any receiver at this price level will have the required pre-outs TBH.

D

Deleted member 2457

daveh75:

The Sony STR-DN1000 only has a sub-out, it doesn't have the required Front left + Right pre-outs for connection to a stereo amp!

I'm not sure that any receiver at this price level will have the required pre-outs.

Daveh75,

emotion-3.gif
Where has your Pioneer bdp-lx71 gone?

A

Anonymous

gel:daveh75:

I'm not sure that any receiver at this price level will have the required pre-outs.

Daveh75,

emotion-3.gif
it looks like its been oppod.
emotion-3.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:gel:daveh75:

Daveh75,

emotion-3.gif

emotion-3.gif

No Way
emotion-3.gif

daveh75

Daveh75,

emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif

My lx71 is still sat in my A/V rack ATM.......but when i get home from visiting family, it will indeed be replaced by the Oppo,which was a joint xmas present from my brothers and sister.

A

Anonymous

I too could only find US reviews of this receiver, presumed it would be pretty much the same as the european units. Have also seen the 2400ES is only £100 more, does this have pre-outs for more channels than just a sub?

Looks like I'll have to post a seperate post about the KEF 7005 3.1 system/traditional 5.1 set up debate

Daveh75,

emotion-3.gif

emotion-3.gif

emotion-2.gif

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Going back to the question, 3.1 will give you fronts, centre and sub - a distinct improvement over standard TV sound. However, you'll get no surround effects at all, as these come from the extra two channels.

D

Deleted member 2457

daveh75:maxflinn:gel:daveh75:

Daveh75,

emotion-3.gif

emotion-3.gif

My lx71 is still sat in my A/V rack ATM.......but when i get home from visiting family, it will indeed be replaced by the Oppo,which was a joint xmas present from my brothers and sister.

To Daveh75

I was just curious is there a reason you wanted the oppo more than the pioneer bdp-lx71?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

The KEF solution is to combine the centre and both front speakers into a sound bar uder the TV, two rear speakers and a sub so I thought that this would give surround sound?? I will post a different post abouth the 3.1-5.1 debate to see if I get more answers or feed back from people who have used the 3.1 set up as there aren't many reviews or feed back avaialble.

daveh75

roberts5:The KEF solution is to combine the centre and both front speakers into a sound bar uder the TV, two rear speakers and a sub so I thought that this would give surround sound?? yes you'll get surround sound with that kef system as it's a 5.1 set-up

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts