Is it possible to run a sub with my amp?

Jakeireland92

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi ive got a technics su-v500 amp it both the channels are already in use for my speakers. Im not very clued up about amps & only use my set up for the weekend house parties and my personal use! But its lacking a bit in the bass side of things so im looking to purchase a subwoofer but i dont know if i can with my amp ?

ill upload a picture of the back of the amp & could someone please tell me if its possible to connect a subwoofer & if so how?

also if you could recommend some makes of subs would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

imagepng

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
You can connect a sub with a high level input to your amp,have a look at this link http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Monolith%20manual.pdf and the section titled "connecting your subwoofer". I would also recommend the BK subs as some of the best value around.

Jakeireland92

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The sub im buying is a powered/active sub with red and yellow rca, low level input, could i just use a splitter on my amps auxiliary & run a cable to the powered subs rca? Is this possible?

thanks in advance

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Jakeireland92 said:
The sub im buying is a powered/active sub with red and yellow rca, low level input, could i just use a splitter on my amps auxiliary & run a cable to the powered subs rca? Is this possible?

thanks in advance

No. Do not buy this sub, any sub unless it has high level (speaker level) inputs.

Your suggestion is hopelessly wrong regarding the connection. You need to speak to a competent dealer and get him to explain the basics to you.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Let's try something a little more helpful.

OP, subs usually have two types of inputs, high level (speaker level) or low level (line level). Although your correct in trying to feed it from a line level source unfortunately the AUX will be a constant level. You need a preamp line level output which varies with the volume pot, unfortunately you amplifier doesn't have this type of output. You need to buy a sub with high level inputs to integrate it in to your system as previously mentioned. There are ways of connecting a low level sub to high level outputs but it is not for a novice. I suggest you look for an active sub with high level inputs, it will then be a doddle.

Jakeireland92

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Okay thank you for your help as you can see im nt very clued up about this lol, but ive found a sub with high level inputs its a Tannoy Msub 10.

Heres the picture of the back of the sub. Would this be easy to set up with my amp? Also what cables/splitters or other equipment would be nessesary to do so.

again, thank you in advance!

imagepng

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jakeireland92 said:
Okay thank you for your help as you can see im nt very clued up about this lol, but ive found a sub with high level inputs its a Tannoy Msub 10.

Heres the picture of the back of the sub. Would this be easy to set up with my amp? Also what cables/splitters or other equipment would be nessesary to do so.

again, thank you in advance!

imagepng

You can't add images like that, you have to upload the image to a photosharing site like flickr and then link to it.

Either way, any sub with high level inputs will come with the cable required to connect the sub to the speaker terminals.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
eggontoast said:

OP, subs usually have two types of inputs, high level (speaker level) or low level (line level). Although your correct in trying to feed it from a line level source unfortunately the AUX will be a constant level. You need a preamp line level output which varies with the volume pot, unfortunately you amplifier doesn't have this type of output. You need to buy a sub with high level inputs to integrate it in to your system as previously mentioned. There are ways of connecting a low level sub to high level outputs but it is not for a novice. I suggest you look for an active sub with high level inputs, it will then be a doddle.

You have more patience than I, but I think the OP really needs half an hour with a competent dealer where he can get his hands on some hardware.

He is clearly a novice, the AUX on this amplifier is an input, the only out is TAPE which is fixed and he is considering buying a sub with low level inputs only, from his post anyway.

Difficult to know where to start really.

Jakeireland92

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Just saw a picture of a solution to my problem, they have a 2 channel amp in the picture and they have these kind of extenders onthe channels allowing them to connect another set of speaker wires to each channel, what are these called so i know to buy the correct ones, would also like to appologise for my lack of knowlege as it must be frustrating for those trying to help when i dont understand most of it lol. Sorry!

John Duncan

davedotco said:
eggontoast said:

You have more patience than I, but I think the OP really needs half an hour with a competent dealer where he can get his hands on some hardware.

He is clearly a novice, the AUX on this amplifier is an input, the only out is TAPE which is fixed and he is considering buying a sub with low level inputs only, from his post anyway.

Perhaps you could start by explaining the things you've just talked about, rather than treating the OP as if he were stupid?

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Jakeireland92 said:
hey thanks for the reply but as my amp has only 2 channels which are in use for my speakers, is there any way i could connect a sub?

A sub with high level input will come with a cable that is bare wires on one end these are connected to the amp speaker terminals at the same time as the speakers

To connect the high level lead you will need to connect the RED wire to the RED terminal ofthe RIGHT hand speaker terminal of your power amp. Connect the WHITE wire to the Redterminal of the LEFT hand channel speaker terminal of your power amp. The BLACK wireis connected to either one of the BLACK speaker terminals of your power amplifier. This isimportant as some power amplifiers do not like their black terminals joined. Now plug theneutrik connector into the high level input of the Gemini II. The Neutrik plug will fit only oneway as it has a key. Next push the plug in then turn clockwise until you feel it latch. To undo
the Neutrik plug, pull back the silver lever on the Neutrik plug and turn counter-clockwise

This link also has a picture of the connections http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/gemini_manual.pdf

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
So Jake, are you using both sets of speaker terminals on the rear of the Technics amp – ie using two pairs of speakers?

If not, then you can use the speakers B outputs to connect a sub with a high-level input.

If you are, then you need to twist together the amp end of one set of the speaker wires and those for the subwoofer, making sure you get the channels and the polarity right, and connect those twisted wires in to the springclips for one of the two sets of speaker outputs.

You may find it easier if you use a pins like these, which have a bigger hole for the speaker cables with a screw-down clamp, and then a pin to insert into the springclip terminals on the amplifier.

41BE%2BXF9DlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

However, the Tannoy sub you mentioned appears to be different, in that it has springclip terminals for the input from the amplifier, and springclip outputs from the subwoofer to the main speakers. So you can connect two runs of speaker cable from the amp to the sub, and then two more runs from the sub to your main speakers, which is much simpler.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
He is clearly a novice, the AUX on this amplifier is an input......

One would assume he's got something going into the socket to mention using a splitter ;-) besides its irrelevant, it's been dismissed.

OP do you use the Speaker 2 terminals on your amplifier ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:
eggontoast said:

Perhaps you could start by explaining the things you've just talked about, rather than treating the OP as if he were stupid?

You can't, there is no basis on which you can give sensible advice.

As a dealer we used to do this all the time. people who simply did not have a clue would be taken through the basics, with equipment at hand so that it was possible to show and explain, step by step, how things worked, went together and ended up making a decent music playing system.

With someone who has absolutely no idea, you need to have equipment to hand so that you can go through everything, explaining what does what and why, that way you have a chance of giving the OP a genuine insight in how asystem works.

If you feel that you can do that without any face to face contact or any equipment to actually demonstrate how things work, then go ahead.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts