Is it possible to improve Synology sound quality?

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
So, after a few days reading manuals and transferring data finally I have completed the set-up of my new Synology DS112J. It is attached to my PS3 for playing movies and to my AVR for music.

One of my main objectives was to replace my iPod as main source for music. However, yesterday I was doing comparison side by side with various tracks and, I am finding the synology to be less musical. The sound from Synology is kind of dry and with less imaging whereas the sound from iPod via USB seem to be more harmonic, warm and musical.

Is there a possibility to improve/adjust the sound quality? Or, is there any possibility to equalize? Maybe by using a different multimedia server (ex. Plex)? I also saw options to allow the transcoding to be done by the Synology and an option to send “high quality sound” for USB speakers… I do not know whether any of that could make any difference.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rendu,

1-) yes DS app do have a equalizer only controled by the NAS DS Audio app and not by the ios or android app, you can twick with it, it has some pre defined equalizations that you can optimise, or start from scratch one your self!

2-) if you are not using the USB output from the NAS with the High quality sound you must be streaming by ethernet cable into the AV in that case is the internal DAC of the AV that is giving you the sound quality that you dont like.

my advice

switch to USB speakers, select HQSound if you AV have USB input.

Or you can buy a external DAC and connect the USB output from the NAS into it.

In my case I have the NAS connected to my Rega DAC through USB and the SQ is superd! Better that the SBT into my DAC though COAX.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much for you help. Regarding the options you have mentioned:

1) I have tried to find the equilizer in DS Audio but I can not find it. How do I get there? I am using the latest DSM version 4.2. I access DSM and DS audio via the Internet explorer 8.

2) Yes, I am streaming via RJ-45 into the AVR. This is interesting because I actually though that all digital input including iPod via USB and RJ-45 were using the same AVR DAC. Then, does this mean that in case of the iPod it is the iPod DAC that comes into play?

If 1) fails, I may consider using the USB output from the Synology as you have suggested however, this would defeat one of the objectives which was to be able to close the front "garage" door of my AVR (USB input is in the front under the main cover). No money for external DAC for the time being. Thanks again for the very good tips.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi

When you open the DS Audio in the NAS through you PC look to the right inferior corner, it apears the repeat, shuffle and next is the Equalizer.

In that case you are using the same DAC, I think so...

Play a bit with the equalizer and let me know your findings!

:cheers:

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
To get the best out of your Yamaha, you will have your music in FLAC format on the Synology, and the UPNP media server turned on.

Just point the amp at it and off you go - there is no need for equalizer apps, or transcoding. The Synology should just present the music via a Mediaserver for the amp to play.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello Hi-FiOutlaw, something seems to be different in my DS audio because I do not have the equalizer option. After the shuffle and repeat icons I have another icon with a "T" which takes you to the song letters. I wanted to paste the image but I do not know how to do this. Anyway, it seems that I do not have an equalizer. How could this be?

Regarding the possibility to convert to FLAC I have too many files and I can not re-rip all my CD collection but thanks for the tip.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
ok, so I was reviewing the DS Audio help and it states the following "Note - The equalizer is only available for USB speakers"......:wall:

TRENDING THREADS