Is it Mandatory....

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
To have a sub with ATC's passive speakers ? Having observed the differing opinions on atc, about their type of bass output and sound.

I have noticed that quite a few atc owners have subs and advice given too existing or potential owners does tend to lean towards purchasing a sub to boost bass output.

So is ATC,s bass too clean and lean for their stand alone passives ?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Mandatory? Absolutely not. I used 11s happily without a sub, and do so now with the 40s. The thing is, unlike most speakers they don't have a 'smile' frequency response, the lack of treble boost is less attractive in a showroom and the lack of bass boost removes masking to the midrange. This can take a lot of adjustment for people, and it simply isn't for some people. As a sealed box is used, the bass does roll off earlier than an equivalent ported speaker. A sub can legitimately be used to fill in from 20hz (which very few speakers will get down to) up to maybe 80hz (depending on which ATC you're talking about) but this would never be to 'boost bass output', merely complement the taut, quick, accurate bass you already have down a little lower in the frequency range.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
To have a sub with ATC's passive speakers ? Having observed the differing opinions on atc, about their type of bass output and sound.

I have noticed that quite a few atc owners have subs and advice given too existing or potential owners does tend to lean towards purchasing a sub to boost bass output.

Their bass is accurate and for somebody who is used to less accurate (call it boomy, slow, etc) bass it is first perceived as lacking. However it is there and once you are used to clean bass you never go back. That said, any smaller speaker will lack the low bass octaves so sub is added to fill this gap. Subs also need to be accurate. Distortions of 20 and 30 percent are not uncommon in cheap subs and speakers at very low frequencies so be careful what you are listening to as bass - when distortion is high instead of the tone you hear a mix of harmonics and as human ears are much less sensitive at very low frequencies you actually hear more the harmonics than the main tone. Once you add room resonance at one of the harmonics it can become what is called one note bass i.e. you hear the distorted resonating frequency, whatever tone is really playing. There will be a lot of it but it will not be accurate. You decide which one you like more.

Btw this is true not only for atcs but for any speakers with accurate bass.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
alchemist 1 said:

Their bass is accurate and for somebody who is used to less accurate (call it boomy, slow, etc) bass it is first perceived as lacking. However it is there and once you are used to clean bass you never go back. That said, any smaller speaker will lack the low bass octaves so sub is added to fill this gap. Subs also need to be accurate. Distortions of 20 and 30 percent are not uncommon in cheap subs and speakers at very low frequencies so be careful what you are listening to as bass - when distortion is high instead of the tone you hear a mix of harmonics and as human ears are much less sensitive at very low frequencies you actually hear more the harmonics than the main tone. Once you add room resonance at one of the harmonics it can become what is called one note bass i.e. you hear the distorted resonating frequency, whatever tone is really playing. There will be a lot of it but it will not be accurate. You decide which one you like more.

Btw this is true not only for atcs but for any speakers with accurate bass.

here, in item 3 is a good illustration: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor-measmt.htm

combine this with equal loudness levels (google for info) and you get the picture.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
It seems from reading other ATC posts that a definate upgrade too the larger atc speakers is popular,gaining more bass and clarity.

The atc 19 being the pick of the bunch.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would say that with regards to the passives, the SCM7, SCM11 and SCM19 (not a fan of the SCM40) are quite similar, with the SCM7 having the best integration between the drivers and soundstage, and the SCM19 having the deepest bass extension and SPL ability. Unless you need high volumes or have a smaller room, the SCM7 would be my pick.

When you get to the SCM20, and the larger SCM50, 100, 160 etc that may well change. I have only heard the 7,11,19, 40 and Active 50's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts