is it just me? :S

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hey everyone,

is it just me or has a massive LCD cloud been casted over most people...

I do not understand how people can even compare 42 or above plasmas to LCDs, (especially 46"+)

Sure its slightly brighter, but you get blurry images, you have to sit further back than plasma (as far as i believe)

You also dont get anywhere near the good black levels when comparing the top end models of both types...

heh i may be very Anti-LCD but id like to see others opinions :)

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
And ME! Keep LCDs for the bedroom and of course there natural place as a PC Monitor!
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Well, I am with you, Plasma is the way to go out of the 2 versions. Personally, I would not touch LCD TV's with a 20 foot barge pole. Mainly because I watch a lot of sport , and I think the fast movement of LCD is rubbish.

The reason so many people fall for them is because they look so shiny and bright. If you walk into a shop the brightness of the LCD'S hits you, the Plasmas look a little dull in comparison. It is only when you start to look closer and see the depth of colours that you begin to see the difference. It does not help that they are quite often running cartoons as the demonstration disc.

A

Anonymous

ok so seems like andrew prefers LCD maybe... but also plasma doesnt have as much choice =/ i mean only Panasonic do 37" and if Panasonic didnt do plasmas i dont think they would be around for this long really.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
ive spent less time looking at plasmas than lcds, as i must admit i believed all the plasma myths til recently. but at the moment im leaning toward plasmas. im seriously considering the new panny plasma - the hd ready one, not the full hd, as i simply cant afford it.

A

Anonymous

Try watching a Blu-ray on a Sony 40W3000 LCD tv - then you will see that LCD can produce a picture that seriously rivals plasma for overall picture quality. And in some aspects, such as it's absolute razor-sharpness and brightness (especially during daytime on a bright day), this Sony beats plasma hands down. Of course, plasma tvs have superior black levels and deeper, more realistic colours, but LCD certainly has some big advantages.

Plus, forget all I've just written, plasma and LCD just have a different "look" to their images - and some people prefer the "look" of LCD's pictures while others prefer the "look" of plasma's pictures.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="BenjaminHart"]

Try watching a Blu-ray on a Sony 40W3000 LCD tv - then you will see that LCD can produce a picture that seriously rivals plasma for overall picture quality. And in some aspects, such as it's absolute razor-sharpness and brightness (especially during daytime on a bright day), this Sony beats plasma hands down. Of course, plasma tvs have superior black levels and deeper, more realistic colours, but LCD certainly has some big advantages.

Plus, forget all I've just written, plasma and LCD just have a different "look" to their images - and some people prefer the "look" of LCD's pictures while others prefer the "look" of plasma's pictures.

[/quote]

How many programs are broadcast in Blue ray?

And that is the problem, most people are watching SD pictures. Try watching football in SD on an LCD TV, you will think you have gone back 50 years.

A

Anonymous

Benjamin the LCD will be about the same as plasma on Blu Ray because they both are the same quality...., SD pictures are important, where plasma has better colours and much better motion handling

A

Anonymous

uhmm Very Annoyed, programs arent broadcast in Blu-Ray (as far as i know) only comes from Blu Ray DVDs so far anyway.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthew s"]uhmm Very Annoyed, programs arent broadcast in Blu-Ray (as far as i know) only comes from Blu Ray DVDs so far anyway.[/quote]

And that is my point. If you want to watch football on SD, LCD is not mush cop. It is all very well going on about Blue Ray, but that is no good for watching most TV.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
You've made a point I've banged on about before on these forums ...WHY (assuming your chosen screen size is available in both formats) would anyone choose LCD? ...Given (to me anyway) the obvious advantage plasma has over LCD why do so many firms even produce LCD's?.....Why does a manufacturer like say Sony only produce LCD's when their boffins must have noted the superiority of e.g. Pioneer's KURO set's especially in the larger screen sizes?

...I was buying various Sony CRT Triniton sets and Rear projection models for years and when a still a newbie assumed that Sony would still be my choice when flat screens came along ......until I compared the 2 technologies.

...Yes the Sony Bravia X range LCD's look initially fab UNTIL you compare them with Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung, plasmas.

..In just about every magazine review that pit's LCD models against plasma the plasma win's out (about 90% of the time anyway!)

If there was a significant cost disadvantage between the two technologies I could understand LCD's dominance of the market place but apart from the aforementioned KURO range that's not the case (Samsung 50" plasmas are significantly cheaper than the equivalent Sony LCD models)

I'd be interested in Andrew's view on just how LCD came to dominate sales against a demonstrably better technology!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I think the maximum for an lcd should be 32inch in order to avoid any fast moving scenes problems, may be with the use of the 100Hz technology it can be expanded up to 40inch, while above this size the choice should be for a plasma, that's exactly what i did and am happy with the picture quality, i bought a 42inch plasma for my living room (a panny 700) and a 32inch LCD for the bedroom (again a panny 700)

for the same reasons panasonic are not producing an lcd bigger than 37inch and that's recently, before that the biggest was 32inch.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I've noticed substantial "noise", or at least a pretty "fuzzy/speckled" (sorry, im no good with the jargon) look to even the best lcds ive seen with SD (and not just with fast motion). Altho this does seem to depend on channel and time of day and, im sure, the specific model of tv. Anyway, if you know what im talking about, do people notice this less with plasmas...?

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
..OK just to prove I'm not totally biased towards plasma (!) ......On my Pioneer 507XD I have noticed that whilst watching a football match at one of the bigger grounds (those that have those electronic advertising hoardings around the pitch) I do sometimes note a "fizzing" around the moving image.

Generally however I have had no real problems at all with motion blurring.

A

Anonymous

meh im totally biased to plasmas, but to the person who said why do companies produce LCDs is because they know there is still a big market for them... until everyone realies plasma is more superior

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jetjohnson"]

I'd be interested in Andrew's view on just how LCD came to dominate sales against a demonstrably better technology![/quote]

Will I do? Considering that only 25 percent of TVs bought in the UK last year were larger than 32in (in other words, the maximum market for plasmas is 25 percent), it's easy to see why LCDs are dominating.

A

Anonymous

I can't for the life of me understand why Sony has gone down the LCD route. Surely they should offer a plasma range as well, just like Panasonic.

It is unbelievable that the company that gave us the famous one gun tube, TRINITRON, on CRT should give all this up to just have LCD technology. If Clare is right, and most TV's that are sold are under 32", it make even less sense to me. No doubt when everybody is getting free to air HD, and all channels are pumping out all programs in HD it may make sense. But how long will that be?

A

Anonymous

im pretty sure is because theres a bigger market for LCD... thats why Sony decided to only develop LCD for the time being, i remember seeing a few sony plasmas a year or two ago.. they were terrible to my eyes :p but would be nice to see them make a new range of plasmas

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts