Is HD Ready a Thing of the Past?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new TV - 50" ish (my 37" seems to have shrunk since moving things around).

Looking in WHF buyers guide most TVs over £500 are shown as HD Ready and Full HD.

I thought TVs would be one or the other, but anyway my question is - are all decent brand manufacturers now only making Full HD TVs? Has premium price for full HD gone?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:To a great extent, yes, but there are still some budget models using lower-resolution panels in order to keep the price down.

Thank you Andrew.

In terms of Plasma vs LED vs LCD - are they much of a muchness - or is one technology better than the other two (at the 50" level)?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In my opinion the similarities are now greater than the differences, to the point where you can choose a set based on which picture you like, rather than worrying about technologies

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
heystak:Andrew Everard:To a great extent, yes, but there are still some budget models using lower-resolution panels in order to keep the price down.

Thank you Andrew.

In terms of Plasma vs LED vs LCD - are they much of a muchness - or is one technology better than the other two (at the 50" level)?

Hi,

There's only two types - plasma or LCD. LED is an LCD panel with LED back-lighting technology.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I have the 50X10 by Panasonic which I got about 5 months ago. I got it because at the time FHD screens just cost too much at the time and this model seemed to offer the best value: SD picture is great, and HD image is fantastic from both HD satellite and blu-ray (I have a PS3 slim). I sit about 3.8 meters away from the screen.

As far as Plasma vs LED vs LCD - each technology has its own advantages, the question is what main uses to you intend for your screen - determine that and it will help you decide which is the betteer screen type for you.

And LED is basically LCD, just pricier...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
FWIW, and I have really said this too many times (!), I have an elderly (in flat panel TV terms) 50in Fujitsu display, and am still to see anything that makes a compelling case for junking it and buying a new screen...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:FWIW, and I have really said this too many times (!), I have an elderly (in flat panel TV terms) 50in Fujitsu display, and am still to see anything that makes a compelling case for junking it and buying a new screen...

Doesnt that just mean you got rare (at that time, and some would say rare full stop) good one? There are loads of tVs made early on in flat pane;l terms that have been betterred. in fact, i would have thought (but do not know) that that was the norm...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, but thats what i meant really. i dont hear much about them, but they obviously made good TVs, and still might for all i know. But an early LG...bleurgh! I've also seen Pannys and Sonys significantly bettered over the years.

TRENDING THREADS