Question Is expensive hifi worth it today?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rick3803

Mar 4, 2023
Visit site
I have a Marantz PM6007 with a pair of Dali Spektor 2 speakers. I play all my music (mostly classical) via my Samsung S20 phone, and I stream using Amazon HD. The image below shows the location, a room about 9ft by 15ft, with soft furnishings/carpet. I find the sound quality really good and although I have heard other systems in other locations I think I could only really tell any difference if I could listen to them side-by-side. The important point is I really enjoy listening to the music because of the music itself, and as long as the music is played on fairly good quality equipment, as I have, then is there any point in paying thousands for something that is supposed to be superior?

The best piece of music I ever heard was All Along the Watchtower (Hendrix) in 1970 at a friends house where about 10 people were relaxing and perhaps smoking something they shouldn't have (but not me). It was played on vinyl on a slightly dodgy old record player. It sounded so good because of the vibe that was going on. The equipment didn't seem to matter too much.

So, is it worth upsetting my wife (a lot) and spending some money?

View attachment 4217
Twenty five years ago I’d say maybe. Today, probably not. There are too many good alternatives to create great sound than there were 25-30 years ago. Bluetooth is gaining ground in high end sound and you don’t necessarily need separate gear for good sound. My gear is 30 years old. I just sold my incredible, original rebuilt levinson No 37 transport. It’s obsolete. You can buy a streaming unit w/it’s own DAC and onboard CD player all in one. No CDs, or records, means less cables, and other gear to reproduce that sound. Buy used gear and save money. I did that a lot especially with cables.

Reactions: nopiano

Emark600

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
There wasn't a suggestion or a mention of an offer in your original post hence why I stated the RRP's.
Yes I know, but I did state that the dealer offered me the three boxes and interconnects for £15k in my reply at post #248….

thought it was very fair to offer a significant slice of the dealers margin, although I haven’t yet purchased the Naim set up..

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I have a Marantz PM6007 with a pair of Dali Spektor 2 speakers. I play all my music (mostly classical) via my Samsung S20 phone, and I stream using Amazon HD. The image below shows the location, a room about 9ft by 15ft, with soft furnishings/carpet. I find the sound quality really good and although I have heard other systems in other locations I think I could only really tell any difference if I could listen to them side-by-side. The important point is I really enjoy listening to the music because of the music itself, and as long as the music is played on fairly good quality equipment, as I have, then is there any point in paying thousands for something that is supposed to be superior?

The best piece of music I ever heard was All Along the Watchtower (Hendrix) in 1970 at a friends house where about 10 people were relaxing and perhaps smoking something they shouldn't have (but not me). It was played on vinyl on a slightly dodgy old record player. It sounded so good because of the vibe that was going on. The equipment didn't seem to matter too much.

So, is it worth upsetting my wife (a lot) and spending some money?

View attachment 4217
Only the boss can decide the answer to that one ha ha.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I agree with you regarding the sound quality, sure my set up is way better than the environment it sits in……but a set of super sexy speakers and associated separates etc sitting in your lounge, IMO don’t even have to be switched on to make me happy.

it’s horses for courses though, I do know of a feller with a Ducati 916 sat in his lounge…..and totally understand why…
Does the 916 ever leave the lounge? Or is it merely decor?

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
My cousin in China loves his Chinese high end _ I used to flog it 30 years ago In Hong Kong but at the time I had fancy British, American, Swiss and German kit.
Was it just as good or better - I`d say yeah - you get a lot for your money there.
I`ve since bought stuff blind as gifts for friends and it was fabulous value and quality.The Chinese are getting better.

I have an alibaba and aliexpress account and family in China and contacts there plus I know loads of Chinese businessman at the Manchester Chamber of Commerce plus our big Chinatown - so I have lots of options.

I might get rid of my big boxes and get a valve amp and some simple little speakers to replace my old junk.

This is good kit - it looks classy.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Expensive hifi looks classy, there's no denying that. In its majority at least.

One of the reasons many go for it, even if they don't listen to music much.
I looked at one of them and saw the price. I wouldn’t trust aliexpress with a fiver.
I've bought quite a lot of stuff off AliExpress over the last 5 years. I personally would not spend more than two to 300 pounds max on there.
The sellers there are somewhat hit and miss. Some are nice honest people. Others are liars who will misrepresent what they're selling and also you get thieving going on at some of the sorting or distribution hubs if you're unlucky. It's also very difficult to get AliExpress themselves to give out any refunds if things go.......South so to speak.

I looked at one of them and saw the price. I wouldn’t trust aliexpress with a fiver.
Of course, even I wouldn't be comfortable importing expensive Hi Fi from AliExpress. Although it seems like the forum member has relatives in China so may be more comfortable ordering things from there. It's the Amazon equivalent in China. The founder / owner of AliExpress.com (Alibaba Group) is a well known billionaire philanthropist.

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Of course, even I wouldn't be comfortable importing expensive Hi Fi from AliExpress. Although it seems like the forum member has relatives in China so may be more comfortable ordering things from there. It's the Amazon equivalent in China. The founder / owner of AliExpress.com (Alibaba Group) is a well known billionaire philanthropist.

A philanthropist? What like George Soros?
Not getting into political aspirations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts