Is Blu-ray at death's door? Innovative 1TB optical disc could be the future of physical media

podknocker

I'd like to see a high capacity disc. Having boxsets, or 'every film with Tom Cruise collection', would be great. Having every episode of 'Game of Thrones', in 4k, with highest sound quality, on 1 disc, would be fantastic. Put the disc in and play. Just press pause, when you need to eat and sleep etc.

Bloke

BANNED
Apr 4, 2022
Visit site
I would love to see this happen. But streaming is being pushed for a multitude of reasons - of which convenience is only one aspect - so I imagine there will be some resistance to this being standardised.

F8lee

Dec 20, 2019
Visit site
One question I have is how long will these new disks last - are they archival?

We know there is a life span to home-burned DVDs etc. - the oxides eventually fail - and if this tech uses 8+ layers (perhaps with different colors of light for each to keep them separate?) then knowing they wont become coasters after 5 years would be comforting - particularly given the amount of data that would be lost in such a failure.

F8lee

Dec 20, 2019
Visit site
I only scanned the piece - does it mention R/RW capability? I didn't think it did.
Good point, but if not then who really cares if it holds a brontobyte? I mean, sure, some folks (including commenters here) would like to see collections of movies or whatever on one disk (though the real utility of that is elusive to my mind) but as a read-only medium would seem to be relatively undifferentiated from what is available today - again, other than saving 4 Blue-Ray's worth of shelf space when all 5 movies are on one disk.

toymotor

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm interested but greed always determines price. Why reduce prices when they can control the market. Flash media is now a commodity and so will this be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts