Is an AV receiver able to acheive medicore stereo sound?

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Heya all,

Got a quick question, Im getting the Denon 1912 Av Receiver, will be linking this up with my 2 front floorstanding beauties the Acoustic Energy Neo 3 V2, and then the centre speaker, rear speakers and sub will be the KEF T305.

I listen to alot of internet radio (mainly Cyrosleep, bluemars, drone zone and other zero beat chilled psychill ambient music) I will also be using Napster service through this AV receiver (providing it works with UK subscriptions) and also will be connecting my Matrantz CD player for classical music such as Tan Dun.

Now my question is, Can I wire the front speakers up to another amp in this case a stereo amp such as the Rotel RA-04SE?? or will there be much point and will the quality playing through the Denon AV amp be sufficent (as it will mainly be 128kps radio streams anyways). Does the Denon 1912 play just through the front speakers?

I hope the what hi fi community can help :) because people in shops haven't been able to give me a straight answer.

many thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dan

It's very hard to give your main question a definitive answer, since everybody's view of "mediocre" is different. If it's good enough for you, that's all that counts.

As for your other question - if the AV amp has pre-outs, then you can integrate a stereo amp. If the stereo amp has HT by-pass, then this makes life easier.

Cno

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Napster subscription will work fine.The Denon will output sound in stereo or whatever mode you want ie Dolby Prologic2 music etc. I would say for 128Kps radio stream the Denon will be more than adequate.
Re you speakers make sure the centre and rears match tonaly.Can you not go for an AE centre as this will be the most significant speaker that needs to match the front left and right.

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies,

So you think I should get the centre speaker same model as the front floorstanders? the center is £118, and the KEF is £275, so I would be saving here, although would the sound be better?

If this is the case could I get the sub for the neo 3 range also? and just have the KEF back speakers? or should I get the whole Neo 3 rears aswell?

The AE energy package will be cheaper, but not as slimline.

Would I have to run another speaker wire from my speakers to the stereo amp, or can I use the denon`s pre-outs direct into my stereo player?

thanks

Paul.

The av amp you linked to does not have stereo preouts, so you can't hook up a power amp to it.

I would try the av amp for musical ability before you commit to hooking up a second amp, you may be supprised. It always used to be the rule of thumb that an av amp would equal a stereo amp a third it's cost, but recently av amps have been performing a lot better. I helped a friend pick out a system, and his yamaha 667 works nicely with music. It can be had for under £300, and does have pre outs as well. You may end up going the stereo amp route anyway, but if you are happy without it, you will save yourself a lot of space and faff.

I haven't heard either of your speaker choices, but generally, big boxes beat slimline boxes >)

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
IMO I would go for the Neo centre and rears to keep the package tonaly matched.The £ that you save I would invest in a BK sub or similar as the sub does not need to be from the same manufacturer.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi. It depends on what you find acceptable really. I have the Denon 1911 and use it on stereo duty with my BX2's and to me it sounds great - certainly a big step up from what I've had before.

I was part of the big question (WHF feature) last year where we compared the Denon & Sony AV receivers with a Rotel for different types of music. Although the Rotel seemed most effortless of the lot, I was pleasantly surprised at the musical abilities of the Denon. The budget Denon was much better than the high end Sony. Also, the difference between the Denon & the Rotel became apparent only after very careful listening.

Check your Denon first & think of alternatives only if you're not happy with the sound.

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys,

I am going into Rayleigh hifi this friday for a full on demo with ipod, internet radio and CDs, with the KEF 305s. I am unsure as to how this will sound on the AE Neo3 floorstanders but I cant really take them to the shop as they are bulky.

I knowthe Neo 3`s are cheaper but will I really notice the tonal difference? I am swaying towards the idea of getting the small KEF T105 for rears, they neo sub, and neo centre paired with the Denon. Anyone think different?

thanks

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys,

I am going into Rayleigh hifi this friday for a full on demo with ipod, internet radio and CDs, with the KEF 305s. I am unsure as to how this will sound on the AE Neo3 floorstanders but I cant really take them to the shop as they are bulky.

I knowthe Neo 3`s are cheaper but will I really notice the tonal difference? I am swaying towards the idea of getting the small KEF T105 for rears, they neo sub, and neo centre paired with the Denon. Anyone think different?

thanks

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
See if you can get a home demo of the Denon.Many dealers will with a security payment.Keep front 3 speakers matching.The rears are not as important and may match well.I havbe no experience of the Neo subget a demo and if you are happy go for it.
Let us know how you get on!

A

Anonymous

I have the Yamaha 667 and Stereo is excellent with my MA BX2 setup. I quips advise against mixing any front speakers especially floor standers with satellites. I would also look at maybe the bxfx as rears instead of the kefs.

You'll find the rear will never mix well and the fronts will over power other speakers.

I'd suggest Yamaha 67 series as definite audition!

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I have my front 3 matched, the rear 2 are Kef eggs and a Kef Sub. I have the same speaker cable on the front 3, and a slightly cheaper one on the back. The front 3 are the ones you want to match, as they do the bulk of the work. The rears are more for ambient sound.

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
So you guys are saying go for the cheaper option and get the remaining AE neo 3 speaker package, with possibly just the small KEFS for rears?

This does sound ideal...however, the Kefs look better and safe alot more space, also their sound cant be drasically different can it?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
It is important to match the front 3,best to get same brand all round if poss.I would invest any cash saved in a better sub!

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
had a demo during the week. The KEF T305`s are terrible with music, espcially with ipod usb connection. So gonna use my Neo 3`s get the center and sub and just have the KEF T101`s for rears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts