Is a NAD 3020 a worth while compromise ??????

Razzler

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi There

I was reccomened the Naim Nait 5i yesterday with B&W 685's as a reasonable set up. I have been offered a NAD 3020 for a very very good price, how would you say this compares to the Naim, would it be worth saving on the amp and paying more for speakers etc.

Any advise welcome
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Nope. The Naim will thrash (forgive the terminology) the 3020, and the 3020 was a very good amp in its day. The B&W 685s are as good as it gets for under £500 anyway - just make sure you are feeding it with a fairly good source - think £250 CD player or £300 turntable.

A

Anonymous

Aren't these 2 amps in entirely different leagues.... in terms of target market, power output and general quality? That isn't meant to sound sarcastic.. I genuinely would like confirmation (I know little about the Naim).

If so, there must be a pile of other amplifiers available cheaply which would kick the ass out of the 3020?!

A

Anonymous

I owned a version of the NAD3020 about 5 years ago, I now own the Naim. To compare them would be to compare Johnny Vegas and Frank Sinatra.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Totally in agreement - no comparison. None at all. The Nad is a budget amp, that would retail somewhere around the £100-120 mark today - the Naim is a mid-range item nearer £700.

Saying that, the NAD will still provide a nice sound, and if it's cheap then I would probably still get it (maybe as a spare, or for a second system somewhere else in the house), but if you can afford (and justify) the extra expense on the Naim, then there is no decision to be made!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts