Ipod to Hifi best sound quality questions from a Numpty

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Being a bit of a Numpty when it comes to modern technoIogy (i come from the era of coin phone boxes and no telly after 10.00pm) I have had since June a Ipod Nano 8gb which was bought for my birthday for listening in the car , but have also been listening to the Nano with a pair of Bose Triport earphones and have to say that I am impressed with the sound quality , what i would like to know is which is the best way of linking the Nano to the Hifi for obtaining the best quality sound , and that it will be competing with and running along side a NAD BBE345 cd player.

Can you use an external DAC (Meridian 203) with the IPOD as i hear some people use DAC`s ... how is this done????

I don`t want to replace CD as a source of music but want to enjoy another format of sound... besides some of the music you can get for the IPOD is amazing , I got rid of my Vinyl about 5 years ago 1000+ albums... , along with my Logic DM101 of recent and am enjoying legally down loading stuff i had on vinyl)

how does the apple universal dock compare to the Arcam dock??

Sound quality is obviously paramount and would appreciate some advice that isn`t technologically baffling...

IN PLAIN ENGLISH PLEASE!!!!!!
emotion-42.gif

Cheers in advance.... JOTABOY

idc

Here is a rough guide to connecting an ipod to an amp -

Regards to the ways of connecting an ipod directly to an amp:

- LOD or line out dock. A connector goes into the port at the base of the ipod and a cable runs to either a mini jack or phonos, which then plug into the amp. This connection usually bypasses the ipods own amplifier, but not its DAC. The volume is then controlled by the amplifier. The ipod is not charged through the LOD. Examples of LODs are the GQ-24 from Russ Andrews and the iBasso CB03. Both sound excellent.

- Dock. The dock connects through the ipod's port, but it also charges the ipod and does not always bypass the ipods amp, so the connection is different. Many docks then connect by minijack to minijack or to phono cables. Examples are from Cambridge, Apple and Arcam. See What Hifi reviews as many docks are not great.

- Minijack. A minijack cable from the headphone output at the top of the ipod to minijack or phono. The headphone out is the least effective way of connecting an ipod to anything. There are loads of such cables on Amazon and ebay, most for under a tenner and that cheapness reflects the lower standard of connection.

- the Wadia itransport. This bypasses the ipod's amp and DAC. Phono cables are then used to connect it to the amp. It is expensive and reviewed by What Hifi. There is a cheaper alternative from Onkyo now, the ND-S1, but it has fewer connection options. This is the only way to link an ipod directly to a DAC. You have to bypass the ipods DAC, or else you are trying to send an analgue signal to a DAC. A DAC needs a digital signal.

The alternative to the above is not to use an ipod at all. A PC with itunes connects to the amp via a DAC. Some amps have their own internal DAC. The PC usually connects to such an amp with a USB cable. Otherwise the DAC sits between PC and amp. The connection by PC to DAC is either USB, optical or digital cable. The DAC then connects to amp by phono cables.

There are other variations, but the above are the most common

A

Anonymous

IDC many thanks for that info...

however out of the various options available , which would give the best sound quality , the fourth option and linking it up to a DAC??

Also regarding using a PC do sound cards in a laptop reflect the actual sound quality?? (ie the more you pay the better quality sound???)..

Rgds JOTABOY

idc

I have not heard the 4th option myself and as to how good it will sound depends on the DAC as the ipod is reduced to a data storage device like a small hard drive. I personally think that the DAC in my older classic is great and up with the MF DAC in my V8P amp and my FubarII. Going by reviews the Wadia into a top end DAC such as the Benchmark should be the best sound, if you have £1000 plus to spend. Pound for pound the ipod on its own with the GQ-24 cable is very good IMHO.

As for a PC and its soundcard, the USB DACs I have bypass the soundcard and take a digital signal straight from the PC. The soundcard is in effect the PCs DAC, though it does more than just act as a DAC. I think it is the same for other DACs that connect with digital or optical cables.

manicm

I have the Arcam rDock - and the potential is great but limited by the iPod unfortunately - it's not going to make a silk purse from a pig's ear - in my case a Classic 120 (horrid in every way).

I suspect it would sound superb with a Nano or Touch, or Classic prior to the 120.

Unless you would get a DAC anyway, I'd forget about the Wadia, but would definitely check out the GQ-24 cable - seems very worthwhile and cost-effective - ensure you get the line-out version for best sound.

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Sorry if I am stating the obvious. Remember to rip your own music in a lossless format and also be aware that the better the system, the more you will notice the limitations of lower bit rate like itunes standard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts