iPod Cable VS Coaxial

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

I am still trying to understand the 'digital' difference between:

A: Using iPod on a Wadia dock and feed the signal to a MF CLiC via coaxial

B: Using iPod connected directly to the CLiC via the white USB iPod cable

The sound between them is definitely different. Using Wadia dock sound livelier.

Taking the songs on the iPod are MP3 320kbps/48 kHz files:

1. Does the iPod cable sends digital signal to the DAC of the CLiC hence bypassing the iPod DAC itself?

2. What is the limit of bit per second that the iPod cable can handle?

3. Why would the sound be different if the DAC in CLiC is processing the files from both sources?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure of the features of the Wadia, but assuming the Wadia is similar in some respect to the Onkyo ND-S1 and ND-S1000, I'm guessing that the dock's clock might have an effect (not sure what the CliC does as far as reclocking, etc.), as well as having more engineering (i.e. more vibration isolation, etc.) which could have an effect (e.g. I noticed an improvement moving from the ND-S1 to the ND-S1000 which I partly attribute to more solid engineering).

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Lee H said:
I'm guessing the dock has it's own DAC whereas using the USB will be using the iPod DAC

I'm pretty sure that the Wadia is a transport, so in this case it takes the digital signal from the iPod to be processed by the CliC's DAC. THe CLiC also has digital inputs specially for the iPod which, once again, takes the digital signal from the iPod to be processed by the CLiC's DAC, which is why the OP is wondering why it should sound different.

A

Anonymous

Enjoy a crisp, clear picture from Cable and Satellite TV, your RF antenna or other F-Pin RF signals. High-density shielding
signature_smiley.jpg
rejects interference. Precision-machined 24k gold contact connectors provide superior fit and conductivity, and all-copper solid-core construction maximizes signal strength.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
I'm guessing the dock has it's own DAC whereas using the USB will be using the iPod DAC

Maybe I wasnt clear. The Wadia dock I know for sure bypasses the iPod DAC and feeds the digital signal to the CLiC via coaxial.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:
Not sure of the features of the Wadia, but assuming the Wadia is similar in some respect to the Onkyo ND-S1 and ND-S1000, I'm guessing that the dock's clock might have an effect (not sure what the CliC does as far as reclocking, etc.), as well as having more engineering (i.e. more vibration isolation, etc.) which could have an effect (e.g. I noticed an improvement moving from the ND-S1 to the ND-S1000 which I partly attribute to more solid engineering).

Yes the Wadia 170i has the similar function as the Onkyo. So you are saying that the reclocking is done by the dock itself?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts