IPL Acoustic M1tl Speaker Kit, PMC 24 killer?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well 2 years after getting back into HiFi and origonaly planning to buy the above IPL Mtlkit i have finally plucked up the courage and ordered them. Buoyed up by reading about a chap who replaced his PMC twenty 24 with the slightly larger ones and rekons they better them in every area, im hoping for big things. My intentention is to finish them in Zebrano or Macassar Ebony or Santo Rosewood. And to add an additional plinth finished in black to add a touch of style.

If anybody on here has built some or has any experience feel free to comment, i may even post a few pics of the build!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers guys yes it has a ribbon tweeter. The guy who replaced his PMC 24 had a build thread and it seemed genuine without to many outrageous claims. They should arrive Monday Tuesday I've bought some f clamps Gorila glue and some suitable glue. The next job is to find some suitable veneer looks like my plan for iron veneer is a non starter as more exotic wider sizes are not redially available. However I have seen glue you can apply let dry then iron into place. So it's as much as a project as it is obtaining a pair of speakers. The things blokes do when they hit 50! By the way PP the answer to my question joke was "to much detail" and again thanks for your interest I'll keep you posted.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Kit arrived today almost built them both, internal baffles to add. Then it's on to acoustic foam and braces. Then the electronics. Wrote a long post about 6 went to add pics, forum just hung and all wasted will try again tomorrow. On a positive note kit panels are perfect fit just screws, glue, clamps, damp cloth and a pinch of swearing!! Both stood up looking good. The drive unit and tweeter are huge with heat sinks. They make PMC magnets look punney! Bring on tomorrow can't wait!!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
OK finally pics wont work uploading in IE ! So after an unaseptable wait ordered wednesday they finally arrived packed in a Heath Robinson carboard pack must of taken him ages! No feed back on when shipped had to chase Monday got email Tuesday to say shipped UPS with a tracking Number, IPL really needs to improve there processes both front end website and production, shipping would love to get involved! CNC machine straight into packing box in predefined order, seal then ready to ship. Website add Anyway drivers are huge fills me with confidance that they are going to sound good. Boxes glued and screwed together need to add internal baffels today, And finally my organised work area on dining room table Mrs Boggit is over the moon. (must improve my internal process)!

15801332688_ec42a7cec9_m.jpg
15986566471_586b4aac75_m.jpg
15368926253_2d65177cfe_m.jpg
15801334218_7e0aa3d951_m.jpg

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Looks like fun!

If these get anywhere near the sound of the PMC 24s, they'll be a remarkable bargain at that price.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
Looks like fun!

If these get anywhere near the sound of the PMC 24s, they'll be a remarkable bargain at that price.

Cheers Matt, I can hear the scepticisim in your typing!! *smile* Well he had the bigger versions his build thread and pics and thoughts are hear http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?106785-DIY-IPL-Acoustics-Transmission-Line-S4tl-Speaker-Kit-Build He rekons they better them in every way! Its more of a challange to be honest and to learn new skills but i have no doubt they are going to sound good, spoke to him this morning on a quiry and he was saying he has been doing it 20 years first as a hobby. Then software driven accoustic measuring became available and allowed him to compete sound wise with the big guys and produce a great sounding product. What is it with IE and this website could not add a link had to do it in Chrome!!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
boggit said:
matt49 said:
Looks like fun!

Cheers Matt, I can hear the scepticisim in your typing!! *smile* Well he had the bigger versions his build thread and pics and thoughts are hear http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?106785-DIY-IPL-Acoustics-Transmission-Line-S4tl-Speaker-Kit-Build He rekons they better them in every way! Its more of a challange to be honest and to learn new skills but i have no doubt they are going to sound good, spoke to him this morning on a quiry and he was saying he has been doing it 20 years first as a hobby. Then software driven accoustic measuring became available and allowed him to compete sound wise with the big guys and produce a great sounding product. What is it with IE and this website could not add a link had to do it in Chrome!!

Sorry if I came across as sceptical: I honestly didn't mean to! But the price differential is huge, and even taking into account that they're kit speakers, they look like a genuine bargain.

*drinks*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Matt not sure my answer came across very well but no i didnt take it in a negative way and i was joking and yes its good fun in a perverse way!.

Anyway more stories from the workshp (dining room) TL baffles fitted, and hardwood braces had to source myself but the bloke in the local merchants just let me have a piece right pain to fit as they need to be under tension wedged in to stop resonance. Next up accoustic foam, i thought it a good idea to use spray carpet glue, what a mess I have so much foam on my fingers i could not use an iphone. Going into work tomorrow but hoping to slide off about 12. Looks likley it will be the crossovers tomorrow assuming i can get the foam off my fingers!

15804407868_13d0ae9110_m.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
@Matt Wow thats a site! they look awsome but alot more complicated than the IPL's, maybee next, they look amazing!

@ Steve no, i had not, nor probally would I have no idea why! Im not against active speakers im an electronics engineer by trade. I have suggested some AVi's for my mum in principle it's a no brainer but i do like an amp (its a box to research and play with) I had a pair of Audioengine A2 they were great until i blew them up stupidlly i threw them out. I suspect i blew the PSU but it was when i was alot richer and it didn't matter, i really wish i had them now great product.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Have you considered turning them into actives?

That's an interesting thought, though I suspect it would involve quite a lot of home-brew work. How do you work out the crossover frequencies and slopes? That's the question of a self-confessed ignoramus!

*pardon*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
That's an interesting thought, though I suspect it would involve quite a lot of home-brew work. How do you work out the crossover frequencies and slopes? That's the question of a self-confessed ignoramus!

*pardon*

Using a sine wave generator. You can download the software for free.

Using both fixed frequency sine waves and a sine wave sweep you can easily find the limits of the drivers. You start by finding the upper frequency limit of the mid/bass driver by listening for the frequency at which cone breakup starts. Then you do the same to find the lower operating frequency of the tweeter.

Once you know the upper limit of the mid/bass and lower limit of the tweeter you have a rough idea of where the crossover needs to be. Then it's a case of trial and error between these two frequencies. Using both sine waves and recorded audio (simple acoustic instruments and the spoken word are useful here) while trying different crossovers in order to find the one that gives you the smoothest and least noticable transition between the two drivers.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I think that's the point you stop DIY and buy a ready made kit if you must. They have spent time and effort in fine tuning the speaker both in terms of electronics and cabinet. Looking at my crossover components they are stamped IPL are of high quality and substantial. Inductors are wound specifically for IPL. It would seem a pointless job in trying to recreate the synergy of the components honed after years of development!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
matt49 said:

*pardon*

Using a sine wave generator. You can download the software for free.

Using both fixed frequency sine waves and a sine wave sweep you can easily find the limits of the drivers. You start by finding the upper frequency limit of the mid/bass driver by listening for the frequency at which cone breakup starts. Then you do the same to find the lower operating frequency of the tweeter.

Once you know the upper limit of the mid/bass and lower limit of the tweeter you have a rough idea of where the crossover needs to be. Then it's a case of trial and error between these two frequencies. Using both sine waves and recorded audio (simple acoustic instruments and the spoken word are useful here) while trying different crossovers in order to find the one that gives you the smoothest and least noticable transition between the two drivers.

Sounds cool, even if a bit hit-and-miss. I think I'd feel more comfortable using a proper speaker measurement suite.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Matt thats what made me post it! post kind of linked well in my head!!

So left work early and back to the workshop today, crossovers used a glue gun for the first time and likeing it, instant and pretty strong, Areldite may have to take a back seat! Anyway pretty much a doddle would of been easier with better instructions but components top notch! I did hace to swap the black and red terminal to match the diagram and circuit diagram i have emailed Ivan to clarify, also he suggests bi wire , not sure if i can link terminals as per "normal speakers" the crossovers appear to be 2 seperate circuit for basss and treble not knowing if all crossovers are like this i thought i would ask the question. I have also asked if i can router a rebate for the drivers to sit flush on the box for asthetic purposes and if it will have an affect on sound quality. EDIT pics triggered the spam filter

15379557233_efdf696e96_m.jpg
15813437417_5ae14280e6_m.jpg
15813518257_0258100771_m.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts