iPhone5 & dual band wireless?

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
I know I should understand this, but I don't. Can anyone help me understand dual band Wireless N?

Just got my first dual band router - the Netgear N600. I - stupidly - assumed that there'd just be one visible network to connect to, and the dual band device & router between them would sort out which was best to use at any one time, and switch automatically depending on load, environmental conditions, interference etc etc.

Surprised to see the radios appearing as completely separate networks on my iPhone5. So, am I supposed to just pick one, say the 5GHz assumign there's more interference on the 2.4 band, or do I connect to both at the same time? Is this possible?

Thoughts welcome. I've had a quick Google but am none the wiser.

cheers.

Dual band routers support both 2.4 & 5GHz networks. You can't automatically switch between them. Both will be displayed as separate networks. You're supposed to pick just one. I've chosen 5GHz & it's a lot faster & lot more stable than 2.4 GHz

I can understand the confusion, as they do claim automatic switching:

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/features/wi-fi.html

Basically, I've enabled my iPad to work on both networks, with priority for 5GHz. I'm assuming that if the 5GHz one doesn't work properly, my iPad will go down the list to connect to the 2.4 GHz network. It hasn't happened yet as my 5GHz network is stable.

A

Anonymous

Dual mode wireless has come up with a big boom but you must know that certain models of routers does not support dual band!! :?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts