iPhone to Amp

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Recently purchased an iPhone and I have some music on it at the moment.

As I new to this I want to now what is the best way to connect my iPhone to my amp for best quality playback as I am thinking in the future to make my CD player redundant and listen to music via iPhone, many thanks in advance to all who reply......

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Options for ipod-to-amp:

1 - headphone out to amp line in.

2 - an ipod dock line out to amp line in.

3 - an ipod dock with digital out - a dac - amp line in

4 - ipod bluetooth - bluetooth receiver - amp line in (bluetooth with apt-x will be better quality).

If you use lossless files on the ipod 3 is the best, although 2 will work absolutely fine, as well as 4 with apt-x.

if you use lossy music - 2, 4 and even 1 are OK. 3 will work too, but will be an overkill.

to make your CD player redundant, you need to have all your music elsewhere. If you plan to store it on the ipod, and you have a lot of music, you will have to compress heavily. If sound quality is improtant you should not compress but then if you have a lot of music, you either need a big capacity ipod (64gig and above, still may not be enough) or replace the CD player with a computer or a music server or a NAS+streamer - then the ipod will not be your main player.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for all the info.

You mention using a pc or music server as I have my itunes library on an ext. hard drive what would would I need to play itunes from my pc sending sound to my amp.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
You need a streamer of some sort. There are a lot to choose from these days - from apple airport express to squuezebox (various models, e.g. touch) to sonos to more expensive ones like linn ds range, naim uniti etc. which to chose depends on your needs (file formats, interface and control preferences, connectivity options etc) and your budget.

to get more detailed recommendations you need to post more info about what you want to achieve.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks again.

What I want to achieve is to use itunes as my listening source from either my laptop or iphone via amp either wired or wireless

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
what music files (file format, bit rates, sample rates) do you use? are your files on the computer or on a hard dirive? what outputs does your compute have (e.g. optical out?) do you have a preference to use the PC or iphone or must have to play from both? what is your budget?

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Itunes library on ext. hard drive and are 128kbs.

Laptop has headphone output and wireless nic.

Preference would be from pc as I could update tunes to apple lossless bit rate as have ample size on hard drive.

Budget ?200.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Some options:

For wired:

- get a usb DAC (e.g. musical fidelity vdac or cambrige audio dacmagic or arcam solo rdac) and conenct computer to it via usb

- get the new apple tv and a dac. stream to it via ethernet cable, then optical to dac, rca to amp

For wireless:

- get a usb bluetooth dongle (with apt-x, sennheiser and creative ahve them), get a qed uplay thing (it is an apt-x bluetooth receiver with RCA out), plug it into the amp

- get dongle as above but instead of uplay get Chordette Gem Dac (abt 350-400GBP). it also has apt-x bluetooth and rca out. it also has USB input so you can also use a wired laptop to dac, which will sound excelent with lossless files.

you can also stream to bluetooth receivers from some ipod models (directly or using yet another apt-x ipod dongle)

(I do not recommend normal bluetooth as quality will be noticably worse, especially on lossless fiels that you plan to use.)

- get apple airport express (or new or old apple tv). then you stream to it via wireless (or wired via ethernet) from the laptop. connect audio out (except apple tv) to amp. or, if you also get a dac, digital optical out to a dac, then to amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts