iPhone 5

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Surely the main thing is that you're happy with your phone and it can do what you want it to do? Satisfaction is worth any amount of money, far more than paper-based tests which exclaim that Phone X is cheaper/quicker/more powerful/has more memory/plaits sawdust in prettier braids than Phone Y. It's very easy in technical comparisons to lose the point...

That has hit the nail squarely on the head. If it suits your needs and you're happy what does anything else matter?

My wife recently purchased an IvyBridge Windows 7 laptop that someone of a different persuasion slagged off because that other persons operating system works "so much faster". Trouble is it would have to be psychic and anticipate what she wanted to do to work any faster.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
margetti said:
Done. 45 minute download (887Mb) and 15 min install (iPhone 4)

Rub my face in it why don't you!

It's a first for me :) - previous updates have invariably taken many many hours... Now to find something exciting in iOS 6 that works on a measly iPhone 4... ooh - new emoticons, how exciting! :rofl:

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
iPad and iPod done iPhone is taking the longest of the three

new YouTube app installed on the touch and pad but I think it will need some tweaking and a proper iPad one soon

time to have a little look at the maps and other new features :grin:

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Joe Cox said:

Pah, typical! Nothing but a bunch of Samsung and Sony COTS components, which are assembled by 4-year-old Taipei orphans, paid ¥2/month to work 20-hour days, 24-7-365
whip.gif

Paul.

AnotherJoe said:
Just out of interest - someone run the sunspider benchmark in your browser on your iphone (whichever model), and note the scores before the update and then after..

Interesting to see how much of the speed increase is software or hardware.

Hah, starting to believe are we? ;) I assume you saw this or similar...

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-all-hail-the-browser-power-hero-19248422/

I only have a lowly 4 (which is over two years old now), so its way off the pace.

Sunspider 0.9.1 benchmarks

3469.9 +/- 1.2% iOS 5.1.1

2983.4 +/- 0.9% iOS 6

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
I only have a lowly 4 (which is over two years old now), so its way off the pace.

Sunspider 0.9.1 benchmarks

3469.9 +/- 1.2% iOS 5.1.1

2983.4 +/- 0.9% iOS 6

4s ios5.1.1 2271.3ms +/- 1.7%

The map thing is stopping me updating to ios6.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
10mins download (from normal phone-line BB), 8mins install including the time taken to update the carrier settings, and nothing gone AWOL. Quite painless really, unlike the Symbian update on my wife's Nokia N8 earlier this year, which completely wiped her phone of everything: contacts, texts, call history, address book, downloaded apps, the lot.

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
So the 'map thing' didn't stop you for long then... :)

No :) You know what it's like, the first place you look for is your own house and the imagery for here is shocking, but most other places are better and I have a Tom Tom for driving directions.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
I have recently transferred to the dark side with the samsung galaxy s3, that was a really good move from my perspective for all sorts of reasons, not least the disappointment that is iPhone 5 and ios 6.
GO ANDROID......

Paul.

woodster said:
I have recently transferred to the dark side with the samsung galaxy s3, that was a really good move from my perspective for all sorts of reasons, not least the disappointment that is iPhone 5 and ios 6. GO ANDROID......

I wouldn't want to criticise your purchase of an s3 as it is a good phone, but all the bombastic bloggers who said yawn over the iPhone 5 are just starting to realise what a big step up it is. It is impossibly tough considering how dainty it is, it has tied with the s3 on processor benchmarks even though it has two less cores and a lower clock speed, therefore more power efficient. It crushes all android devices for not only GPU performance but java rendering speed. It's just the typical media circle of hype and dump. Of course, if you want a mahoosive screen there is not a lot to be done about that :). I actually didn't expect it to be this powerful.

Just as once people go up from a 42-inch TV to a 50-inch one cannot go back to a 46-inch TV, it's not easy to go back to the iPhone once they buy the Galaxy S3, even though the iPhone 5 is slightly larger. Bigger screen is bound to be more attractive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts