IP conflict with my Sonos S5 and laptop/Internet connection

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've come to realise that my Sonos S5 zoneplayer has borrowed the same IP as my laptop. The S5 works fine, the iPhone app controller is also brilliant. The problem occurs whenever we have a laptop connecting to the Internet. Which has led us to believe that the Sonos was causing the problem. I've just checked the settings on the iPhone and it looks like the S5 is "sharing" the same IP address as my Toshiba laptop. How can I change this situation, since I believe that this is the root of the issue we're having? Of course I stand to be corrected or pointed in the right direction. Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Can't be that, since Sonos products don't work on standard wi-fi networks, but set up their own mesh network completely separate from the computer one. So the S5 doesn't have an IP address on your main network. Could, however, be radio interference if the laptop and S5 are in close proximity, but it'd be the first time I've heard of it happening.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Half right Andrew Sonos does take IP addresses from your router via the wired connection the Br100 in this case. You need to log in to your router and set either the S5 or the laptop to use a fixed address ÿand they won't clash anymore.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Agreed- from memory you have a Netgear Momo- so if you haven't done this before (forgive me if you have) go into the router admin,LAN setup and "add" in address reservation. You will need the to have found the MAC address of the unit you are dedicating first.Personally I start at the end address ,which for Netgear is usually 192.168.0.254.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for your replies.

No, it wasn't radio interference. Definitely an IP address issue with 2 devices sharing the same address.

I've done some minor changes on the Netgear modem/router box and now everything (for now at least) seems to run smoothly. That would be a result if it stayed that way. *touch wood*

Thanks again for the useful tips.

A

Anonymous

Just thought I'd comment. Since installing a sonos s5 my wife's pc laptop could not get a wifi connection. But my apple laptop was fine. Solved it by going into the router and putting each ip address as static. Hey presto now all working fine.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
No Andrew is right, SonosNET 2.0 uses a completely different subnet. Thus when it's not on the same subnet as your laptops, and iphones and what not it cannot possibly have the same IP address as the subnet is completely different. As Andrew says it's a mesh network. If your S5 is sharing the same IP as your laptop then your laptop may have a static IP or your DHCP is not working correctly on the router.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Nope sonos kit obtains ip addresses from whatever kit on your network is handling dhcp duties. If it can't find a dhcp server then it will auto assign an address in the 169.x range.

A

Anonymous

Sonos acquires IP addresses from the DHCP server on your network. If u dont have a DHCP server, then it assigns itself a set of ip addresses using the Auto-IP Protocol.

In the former case it is quite possible you could have conflicting ip addresses.

If ur router supports address registration u can set a static ip address for each mac-address, to avoid any conflicts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts