sonos problems

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I have recently purchased a ZP90, S5, zone bridge (connected to the router) and cr200. The set up was a doddle - I pointed the sonos towards my music files on an external hard drive/PC which it picked up with no problems at all. It worke fantastically well for a couple of weeks. However, over the last few day it has developed a problem. When i sync (party mode) the S5 and ZP90 to play the same music from my hard drive, the music breaks up badly to the extent i cannot listen to it. I have not changed anything in my set up since i bought the sonos. The strange thing is i could stream different music to the zones individually- the problem only existed when i attempt to synch. The radio does not appear to be affected by this problem. Things have now gone one step further and the music breaks up when playing on a single zoneplayer.

I have tried a variety of things to sort the problem such as unplugging the zones and setting them up again - moving the zone players closer together to see if distance is the problem. I get the feeling the problem lies with the S5. When i merged (synch) the S5 with the ZP90 i get the problem. Its as if the zones work fine as receivers but seem to get 'confused' when they act as receivers and senders.

Again it worked really well for two weeks, I don't understand how the set up has inherited this problem. As i say this problem does not affect the internet radio. The music is playing but it is intermittent. Any help would be appreciated.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
How is the PC/hard drive connected to the router?

But yes, get yourself on the Sonos forums (forums.sonos.com sorry, Chrome won't let me add a link), you'll either find the answer there or you might find Sonos tech support contact you asking for more info. Otherwise ring them up, they're very good and should diagnose things pretty quickly.

A

Anonymous

Could it be the router? Mine's currently a basic "G" router and it struggles every so often.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Shouldn't be, a zoneplayer and the storage should be wired to the router, from there it's Sonos' own wireless network, so the fact that router is "G" shouldn't matter.

The Sonos mesh is based on "G" technology anyway and they're confident it'll handle up to 32 zones.

They don't support the storage being wireless though, so that could account for it.

A

Anonymous

Dan.m:

I have recently purchased a ZP90, S5, zone bridge (connected to the router) and cr200. The set up was a doddle - I pointed the sonos towards my music files on an external hard drive/PC which it picked up with no problems at all. It worke fantastically well for a couple of weeks. However, over the last few day it has developed a problem. When i sync (party mode) the S5 and ZP90 to play the same music from my hard drive, the music breaks up badly to the extent i cannot listen to it. I have not changed anything in my set up since i bought the sonos. The strange thing is i could stream different music to the zones individually- the problem only existed when i attempt to synch. The radio does not appear to be affected by this problem. Things have now gone one step further and the music breaks up when playing on a single zoneplayer.

I have tried a variety of things to sort the problem such as unplugging the zones and setting them up again - moving the zone players closer together to see if distance is the problem. I get the feeling the problem lies with the S5. When i merged (synch) the S5 with the ZP90 i get the problem. Its as if the zones work fine as receivers but seem to get 'confused' when they act as receivers and senders.

Again it worked really well for two weeks, I don't understand how the set up has inherited this problem. As i say this problem does not affect the internet radio. The music is playing but it is intermittent. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Dan.m

I too had this problem arise when i upgraded to a s5, Never had any drop out until added it,I went on sonos help and tried all different ways, I now have moved my phone base further away from my ZB Changed sonos network to 11,Changed my ethernet cable for my nas with a sonos one as found it slightly loose , Now i feel it ok touch wood it has been fine since, But as the others say sonos web help is very good,

Hope this may help

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all,

I have contacted sonos (email) and submitted them a diagnostic - i'll wait and see what that brings. My netgear range max router is wired to my PC. It has been excellent. It is faultless as an a wirless internet connection to my laptop. It continues to work very well in streaming music to my laptop via itunes which i used to connect to my hi-fi (before i bought the sonos). I have just listened to the radio on sonos - perfect. I then attempted to listen to my music (which I store on the PC/external hard drive) but again the same intermittent scenario. The controller tells me the music is playing, I can even skip tracks - so the sonos is communicating with my music files. Is it the mesh network at fault - is so why doesn't it affect the radio?? If i had these problems from the beginning i would have assumed that it was my house environment creating the problem but it was perfect for a couple of weeks. I really want it to work!!

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I have a zonebridge wired to the router. My S5 and ZP90 (connected to hifi) are wireless. I do have lossless files but sonos state you can have up to 4 zones with uncompressed music - but again if it was having difficulty in streaming lossless, why was it perfect for the first couple of weeks?? could the zonebridge be the problem?

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Sonos asked me to move my zonebridge further away from my router. They suggested about 6 feet, but the cables they supply are only 4 ft! I sent diagnostics for channel 1, 6 and 11. When doing this i noticed channel 1 gave perfect playback - im currently listening to this but will await sonos response. I'm still unclear why channel 11 gave perfect playback for the first couple of weeks then aquired its problem.

I have also tried to import i tunes playlists. As suggested on the sonos forum, i exported the playlist from my i tunes interface and saved them as an xml file in my shared music folder on the network. However, when i updated the sonos library via the cr200 it did not appear on the sonos - i assume it should turn up in the 'imported playlists' folder. Any thoughts??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts