Interstellar

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anderson

simonlewis said:
So jealous of you guys using your subwoofer, i live in a rented flat with neighbours ! *cray2*

Im sure a sub does add to the effect a lot but I'm running stereo only and there was scenes in Interstellar I thought the plaster was going to come off the walls!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I was so bowled over by Interstellar when I saw it at the cinema that I treated myself to the Special Edition version. The extras disc includes an extensive list of documentaries, among them "The Cosmic Sounds of Interstellar".

I find it difficult to describe my feeings after seeing this particular documentary, but I'll have a go: I have nothing but admiration for all the artists involved in the epic yet very personal sounds of Interstellar's score. I was impressed by Hans Zimmer's genuine creativity in generating a "whole new palette", by Chris Nolan's ability to keep a handle on so many diverse aspects of the movie that must have been progressing at the same time.

It was fascinating to see the collaboration and creative processes in action, particularly between Roger Sayer, Zimmer and Nolan at Temple Church in London; and to see precisely how the different textures of sound were made that you now immediately relate to the film.

Ever since seeing the film and listening to the soundtrack over and over in the car and at home, I was very intrigued to understand how you get from zero to the finished article: where and how does the process start? Who prompts who? Does the score react to the story, the visuals or is it the other way round?

Certainly better than your average "how it was made" documentary extra, particularly to anyone more than casually interested in sound and music.

Couldn't help noticing a plethora of Elac standmounters in the various studios too!

A

Anderson

Leeps said:
I was so bowled over by Interstellar when I saw it at the cinema that I treated myself to the Special Edition version. The extras disc includes an extensive list of documentaries, among them "The Cosmic Sounds of Interstellar".

I find it difficult to describe my feeings after seeing this particular documentary, but I'll have a go: I have nothing but admiration for all the artists involved in the epic yet very personal sounds of Interstellar's score. I was impressed by Hans Zimmer's genuine creativity in generating a "whole new palette", by Chris Nolan's ability to keep a handle on so many diverse aspects of the movie that must have been progressing at the same time.

It was fascinating to see the collaboration and creative processes in action, particularly between Roger Sayer, Zimmer and Nolan at Temple Church in London; and to see precisely how the different textures of sound were made that you now immediately relate to the film.

Ever since seeing the film and listening to the soundtrack over and over in the car and at home, I was very intrigued to understand how you get from zero to the finished article: where and how does the process start? Who prompts who? Does the score react to the story, the visuals or is it the other way round?

Certainly better than your average "how it was made" documentary extra, particularly to anyone more than casually interested in sound and music.

Couldn't help noticing a plethora of Elac standmounters in the various studios too!

Ive got the OST to Interstellar and Inception, both are brilliant and I listen to them both on a fairly regular basis. I've seen a video on YouTube in the Cathedral and on the organs and how they got the sounds, very cool stuff.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
My goodness - what a load of tripe.

The film was so bad it gave me chronic man flu.

I'll wait till the who ah has died down where we can discus it without giving away spoilers.....but watch it let me know if you can think of a worse film.

Paul.

Thompsonuxb said:

I'll wait till the who ah has died down where we can discus it without giving away spoilers.....but watch it let me know if you can think of a worse film.

Event Horizon

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

This explains a lot to me.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
fr0g said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Seriously?

Honestly this film is so rubbish just thinking about it this morning gave me indigestion..... I had Weetabix for crying out loud.

People hurry up and watch it.....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The most stupid sci-fi ever made is Prometheus, unless you like post-cesarean mutant mother vs pretzel spaceship gymnastics.

Yes, was very disappointed with that movie myself.

Poor casting poor 'story' but strangely I'm looking forward to the sequal.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Terminator 2 is proof that stupid stories and poor actors (aww, love you Schwarzy) can be turned into a great (legendary) film. T2 also prooved that sequals can be better than the first film. It's not the elements, but the whole product that matters.

Total recall similar story. Terrible elements, but hugely entertaining flick. Doesn't take itself seriosly like Odyssey 2001, and that made me comfy watching three boob chick as a viable mutant variation due to lack of commercially traded oxygen by a corrupted mayor of a planet. And how can you not love Johnny Cab?!

Now take Will Smith (I am legend, the guy that makes blockbusters out of anything, the golden boy) and his son teamed up for the first time, post-apocalyptic sci-fi scenery, huge money, huge producer... and yet it ended up like poop. Go figure.

I really enjoyed Interstellar because of two things:

1) I watched a review (by Mark Kermode) first and I knew I need to be ready and in the mood to watch this movie, so I took my time.

2) I am an Arthur C. Clark fan so this type of sc-fi appeals to me, even though it was a bit too family/cry baby cry for my taste. But I don't have kids so that one is on me.

Will I watch it 100 times like Odyssey 2001? No.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Terminator 2 is proof that stupid stories and poor actors (aww, love you Schwarzy) can be turned into a great (legendary) film. T2 also prooved that sequals can be better than the first film. It's not the elements, but the whole product that matters.

Total recall similar story. Terrible elements, but hugely entertaining flick. Doesn't take itself seriosly like Odyssey 2001, and that made me comfy watching three boob chick as a viable mutant variation due to lack of commercially traded oxygen by a corrupted mayor of a planet. And how can you not love Johnny Cab?!

Now take Will Smith (I am legend, the guy that makes blockbusters out of anything, the golden boy) and his son teamed up for the first time, post-apocalyptic sci-fi scenery, huge money, huge producer... and yet it ended up like poop. Go figure.

1) I watched a review (by Mark Kermode) first and I knew I need to be ready and in the mood to watch this movie, so I took my time.?

2) I am an Arthur C. Clark fan so this type of sc-fi appeals to me, even though it was a bit too family/cry baby cry for my taste. But I don't have kids so that one is on me.

T2 is not better than Terminater, not even close.

Mention Predetor not Total Recall when you talk of the Schwarz....

No mood can prepare you for Intastella. It's an aggravating film with too many holes in the plot and uncompleted 'strands' and the special effects were........

Ouch.....I think thinking about is giving me arthritis in my knees.....

Let me stop....

Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Terminator 2 is proof that stupid stories and poor actors (aww, love you Schwarzy) can be turned into a great (legendary) film. T2 also prooved that sequals can be better than the first film. It's not the elements, but the whole product that matters.

Now take Will Smith (I am legend, the guy that makes blockbusters out of anything, the golden boy) and his son teamed up for the first time, post-apocalyptic sci-fi scenery, huge money, huge producer... and yet it ended up like poop. Go figure.

1) I watched a review (by Mark Kermode) first and I knew I need to be ready and in the mood to watch this movie, so I took my time.

T2 is not better than Terminater, not even close.

Mention Predetor not Total Recall when you talk of the Schwarz....

No mood can prepare you for Intastella. It's an aggravating film with too many holes in the plot and uncompleted 'strands' and the special effects were........

Ouch.....I think thinking about is giving me arthritis in my knees.....

Let me stop....

If you think Terminator 2 was worse than Terminator 1, then we have greatly different tastes..... *scratch_one-s_head*

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
It all boils down to taste. To me I thought Gravity was rubbish. Interstellar to me was just an amazing film. Far fectched, but enjoyed every moment. Thats why its called a Sci fi movie..?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
It all boils down to taste. To me I thought Gravity was rubbish. Interstellar to me was just an amazing film. Far fectched, but enjoyed every moment. Thats why its called a Sci fi movie..?

With Sandra in those shorts, all is forgiven.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
fr0g said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Seriously?

Honestly this film is so rubbish just thinking about it this morning gave me indigestion..... I had Weetabix for crying out loud.

People hurry up and watch it.....

Yes, Seriously.

I thought it was a magnificent film. It just requires some logical creative thinking.
A work of art I would say.

It explains your lack of logic in Hifi arguments. Not that it's a bad thing, the world needs allsorts of people to function.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts