Interpreting Audessey results?

Jeff

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
When looking at the Audessey results, I can see that the equalization adjustments are primarily additions at various frequencies. There are minor subtractions in a few places. Since Audessey is supposed to compensate for deficiencies in my room I wondered if I could use it as a starting place for what corrections to make. For example, if I saw that Audessey was using negative adjustments at higher frequencies, I might speculate that I need to have sound absorbers for high frequencies. If Audessey subtracted bass, then maybe I need bass traps. But if Audessey primarily adds, what does that tell me about how to improve the the accoustics of my room?

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Jeff said:
When looking at the Audessey results, I can see that the equalization adjustments are primarily additions at various frequencies. There are minor subtractions in a few places. Since Audessey is supposed to compensate for deficiencies in my room I wondered if I could use it as a starting place for what corrections to make. For example, if I saw that Audessey was using negative adjustments at higher frequencies, I might speculate that I need to have sound absorbers for high frequencies. If Audessey subtracted bass, then maybe I need bass traps. But if Audessey primarily adds, what does that tell me about how to improve the the accoustics of my room?

Hi Jeff,

A few things I've learned.

1-don't use multiple position, you can never optimize sound in an audiophile way for multiple position. So when audissey offers to measure at posiyion 2 you just say your done and it will give you a picture for that position.

2-make sure you play with position. Get away from walls and corners more so. Remeasure.

3-it takes time. At the end I ranted pro audio tools but audyssey was right it's just a bit long to get the results. I've spent hundreds of hours moving my speakers, soon you'll see that walls makes lots of bass but very fat blurred and slow. For tight dry bass get yourself and your speakers away from walls. For imaging you need to tilt speakers toward you and form a triangle. Don't be shy to measure distances here.

So all is positive, then do nothing, it's the peaks and dips that hurt, focus only on that. But also check left and right, usually odyssey makes a boost when a speaker is louder than the other , this happens when one is close to a corner. Corner are evil ;)

Keep going, your well started !

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The freq peaks and troughs are caused by the same thing.

It's not absorption for peaks only it's absorption to reduce nulls also.

However looking into acoustic treatment is a great thing to do for sound.

It's not easy to get exacting advice as there are differing opinions but GIK will give you free specific advice if you contact them with your room dimensions.

Don't forget diffusion can be put to amazing good use even in a normal sized room

Jeff

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Maybe it would be instructive to reposition the speakers and run Audessey again to see if I can find a position where Audessey makes fewer corrections, especially at lower frequencies.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I used Audessey the first time when I installed my new av amp, it somehow came up with a distance of 32 feet from the position of the mic to my front speakers, tried it for a second time which came back at 20 feet, in the end I turned it off in the menus downloaded a sound meter app to my mobile, got out a tape measure and went through the process manually, took a bit longer but at least my speakers are now the correct distance from my listening position.

*music2*

Jeff

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
macdiddy said:
I used Audessey the first time when I installed my new av amp, it somehow came up with a distance of 32 feet from the position of the mic to my front speakers, tried it for a second time which came back at 20 feet, in the end I turned it off in the menus downloaded a sound meter app to my mobile, got out a tape measure and went through the process manually, took a bit longer but at least my speakers are now the correct distance from my listening position.

*music2*

What did you do with the sound meter? Maybe I would like to do it too.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
most if not all av amps have some way of producing "white noise" whilst setting speaker levels (check your instruction manual), the noise is picked up by the mic on the phone, the app shows how loud the noise in decibels, then you just go round each speaker in turn making sure the numbers on your mobiles screen match up.

like I said, may take a bit longer to do but at least you will know that the levels are right.

*music2*

Jeff

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
macdiddy said:
most if not all av amps have some way of producing "white noise" whilst setting speaker levels (check your instruction manual), the noise is picked up by the mic on the phone, the app shows how loud the noise in decibels, then you just go round each speaker in turn making sure the numbers on your mobiles screen match up.

like I said, may take a bit longer to do but at least you will know that the levels are right.

*music2*

So you set the sound levels and the distances. Any equalization adjustments?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
although they are available to me through the onscreen menus on my amp, I've never done any equalization adjustments, after all the problems with the automatic setup, just wanted to keep it simple.

*music2*

Jeff

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
macdiddy said:
although they are available to me through the onscreen menus on my amp, I've never done any equalization adjustments, after all the problems with the automatic setup, just wanted to keep it simple.

*music2*

I downloaded a sound meter app, measured the distant to my speakers, and adjusted the sound level of my center speaker to match the two fronts. The two fronts were already equal. I had to turn the center down a little. Audessey had turned them all down a lot. This sounds good. I am going to keep it simple, too.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I have only used YPAO - Yamaha's Audessey equivalent. So I don't know what equalization has been applied. Its only take-it-or-leave-it. And I have left it. Where the frequency is cut then as you say its probably reflection and where it tries to boost its probably an interference null which may need bass absorbsion. Mid bass perhaps through furnishings, curtains and carpet. Lower bass through bass traps. Many times I have siuggested using £20 rockwool sheets in corners and behind front/rear walls to experiment. If it sounds better and if Audessey makes less.changes then you have found a potential problem. I believe my modest DIY bass traps make a difference but compromise in a lounge means I can't go much further without making it look like a studio.

F

FunkyMonkey

Do measure ALL positions available to you in Audyssey.
Do read the instructions as to what those positions should be and the order of them.
Do use a tripod or something else that puts microphone in a stable position at listening level.
Once done, do use an SPL meter or app to make sure each channel at same volume.
Do realise that Audyssey is there to compensate for room.shortcomings. you can treat your room all you like but you will NEVER get anywhere near a perfect listening environment.
So much misunderstanding and misinformation about Audyssey. Been reading such info for past 9 years.
AVSforums of USA had a great article many years ago.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:
Do measure ALL positions available to you in Audyssey. Do read the instructions as to what those positions should be and the order of them. Do use a tripod or something else that puts microphone in a stable position at listening level. Once done, do use an SPL meter or app to make sure each channel at same volume. Do realise that Audyssey is there to compensate for room.shortcomings. you can treat your room all you like but you will NEVER get anywhere near a perfect listening environment. So much misunderstanding and misinformation about Audyssey. Been reading such info for past 9 years. AVSforums of USA had a great article many years ago.

Whilst agreeing with some of your post I would add that extensive room treatment, although probably undesirable, can get a 'near perfect' environment in some rooms and some circumstances. Arguably not just a 'room's but Birmingham Concert Hall is a fine example and one or two members here would argue that their room treatment is extremely good. Whilst equalization may help in some rooms, room treatment is a 'better' solution if done well. All of this an academic argument ofcourse - in real life a quick painless solution may be little EQ.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts