Interconnects and Speaker cable for Audiolab kit

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Current system -Systemdek 11X, Moth arm, Roksan Corus Blue, Arcam Delta transport, Audiolab 8000DAC. KEF Q35 speakers on Linn LK20 cable. Just added Audiolab 8000C Control amp and 2x 8000Mono Blocks, all series B My question concerns interconnects. How and what would you recommend in the way of interconnects. I have the monoblocks right next to the speakers, about 2m away from the contol amp. Could you please recommend some speaker cable and interconnects for between the control amp and the monoblocks. At some point in the future I will upgrade the KEF’s, any ideas on another floorstander which offers more in the way of bass?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forums
emotion-1.gif

Do you have an idea of what budget you want to spend currrently on cables and also for future speakers?

IMO the Chord Crimson, Atlas Equator and Black Rhodium Prelude interconnects are very good and world work well with your Audiolab/Kef kit
emotion-1.gif

As for speaker cable; the Chord Carnival Silverscreen, Atlas Hyper and the QED Revelation cables would be well worth looking at.

Re new speakers; an idea of budget would open up this field

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I use Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable and Silver High Breed Avatar interconnects with my Audiolab 8000Q, which is using 2 x Rotel RB971 as monoblocs, sound is very good. The turntable Rega P3-24 is connected via a Cambridge 540p with Ortofon 2m Red using Chord Cobra 2 interconnects.

I have demoed Chord Chameleon cables which were great, but for the difference in price no better than the SHB cables.

If budget allows, you may consider ProAc speakers as my Tablette 2000's complement the set up well. For interest the CD player used is an Arcam CD192.

Overall I find the sound, fast, detailed and not lacking in bass.

Hope the above helps your cable query.

T

the record spot

749er:Current system -Systemdek 11X, Moth arm, Roksan Corus Blue, Arcam Delta transport, Audiolab 8000DAC. KEF Q35 speakers on Linn LK20 cable. Just added Audiolab 8000C Control amp and 2x 8000Mono Blocks, all series B My question concerns interconnects. How and what would you recommend in the way of interconnects. I have the monoblocks right next to the speakers, about 2m away from the contol amp. Could you please recommend some speaker cable and interconnects for between the control amp and the monoblocks. At some point in the future I will upgrade the KEF's, any ideas on another floorstander which offers more in the way of bass?

IMO best bass floorstander out there for the money is Q Acoustics 1050i - now superceded by the 2050 at £370 - at around £200 discounted. Thereafter, the Dali Ikon 6 is also decent having heard a pair yesterday.

As for cables, I would caution against going mad with these. Go out and get a pair of generic, copper core interconnects, spend less than a tenner and compare to what you have right now. Ditch the idea of spending more for the time being till you've done this. It's a waste of time, effort and needless comparisons.

FWIW, I had Van den Hul's "The Name", Audioquest Turquoise and more recently the Copperhead and the QED Qunex 2. Effectively, little difference. Went out and bought a 2m RCA audio interconnect in a computer shop in Edinburgh a couple of months back, £7 and it sounded exactly the same as the Copperhead. The AQ went on Ebay. Compare, contrast, if you hear a difference, go for it. I'd spend some time finding out how a cable works and the properties thereof to get a balance to the wealth of opinion, mostly subjective, around the topic.

I'll say it again though: my current cable, £7, the Copperhead £65. No difference. Work it out.

Welcome to the forum, good speakers, nice amp, great deck!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the suggestions:-

Cable budget - enough to do the components justice without going overboard. Speaker cables will only be 1metre each. Pre/Power cable length is 2metres.

Speaker budget about £500 or so.

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd definitly look at the Chord and/or QED recommendaqtions then

The Chord cables are very good and fit in well with a lot of decent system c£1k and more
emotion-1.gif

As for speakers; the Dali Suite 2.8's that Sevenoaks have currently would be worth a look at but I think a decent set of 2nd hand Monitor Audio RS6's would be very hard to beat!

The Audiolab gear would go very well with the M/A speakers.

You could also consider a 2nd hand set of B&W 684's as well but if you're happy with standmount speakers then the Monitor Audio RX2's would be very good indeed (obviously you'd need to budget for speaker stgands but you can pick up Atacama SE24's off eBay for very good prices these days and they'd do the RX2's justice)

TRENDING THREADS