interconector value

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
I've just reasontly brought a rega apollo cd player,and the guy in the shop demod a linn silver rca conector which had a noticable improvement in the lead it replaced. but is it worth £250 ???? i'm tempted as the auction site has some going but as i'm newish to hifi i dont want to get ripped but do not mind paying for good kit ... is there anything at a more realistic price worth auditioning ????

A

Anonymous

[quote user="evo6tme"]
I've just reasontly brought a rega apollo cd player,and the guy in the shop demod a linn silver rca conector which had a noticable improvement in the lead it replaced. but is it worth £250 ???? i'm tempted as the auction site has some but as i'm newish to hifi i dont want to get ripped but do not mind paying for good kit ... is there anything at a more realistic price worth auditioning ????
[/quote]

I probably should knowbetter than to get involved in a cable debate but i've had a cup of tea and feel good so here goes.
I personally would spend as much as i could SENSIBLY afford on cables and interconnects as i do believe they form an integral part of your hifi system and should be considered as such ( technical details i'll leave to the experts of which there are many here :). Maybe upto the oft quoted 15-20 % value of the whole system is reasonable. Anyhow i'd recommend you try
a selection including Van den Hul d102 Mk3 interconnect, ( fab cable) chord cobra3 , chord chameleon, all around the 100 GBP mark and cheaper on auction sites. Happy hunting!

A

Anonymous

I've just spent £900.00 on speaker cable and an interconector between my cd player and pre amp.

There are some on here who question cables but they do work with some equipment.

Are they worth it?

Only you can answer that question.

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
well if some equipment is more suseptiple to cables than others the rega must be one ,becouse the cable that the linn silver replaced was another linn cable at £75 (dont know name) but the silver lit the whole room up. I was extremely suprised. But as i said £250 ?????

T

the record spot

It's only ever going to be a personal choice, but £250 is a lot - I'd agree with the earlier post, £100 max should be fine, but you probably need to have a listen if you can. Atlas, Van den Hul, Ecosse are three of many you could consider and they have a good range at all price points. I use the Van den Hul "The Name" which is £55 for a 1 metre pair and it does a decent job - albeit not massively different from my previous Audioquest Turquoise - between my amp and CD player.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="scumbag"]I've just spent £900.00 on speaker cable and an interconector between my cd player and pre amp.

There are some on here who question cables but they do work with some equipment.

Are they worth it?

Only you can answer that question.[/quote]

Could you say how that huge investment has changed your system? What does your system consist of?

Edit: ah, just remembered, you were the chap who had his speaker cable terminated the wrong way round. Did you get it changed?

A

Anonymous

gpi.
System is naim 202. 200. cd5x. fc2x. napsc . hiline. Running at the moment through my b&w XT 5.1 av front speakers, xt4s with the pv1 sub. The old speaker cable was chord rumour and the atlas bought more depth, the bass is in a different league, the whole sound has become bigger, with more defenition within the music. It has almost lifted a vail from the speakers..in fact they sound like different pair! The speakers won't be my end game but without the sub they were really bad with the rumour, unlistenable without the sub, I still use the sub but i've turned it down. The atlas cable has made a dramatic difference..The interconector is the naim hiline. not as much difference as the atlas but clearer vocals and you just hear more of the music, especially the softer not so obvious parts that you certainly wouldn't hear in the car. With regard to the cable running the wrong way I'll believe my dealer who said as the cable is new it will burn in, in any direction. It's time to enjoy the music, sometimes I think you can listen too closely and this can convince you that something isn't quite right.

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
now thats what i mean. Thats a very expensive system so requires and deserves qualitty cables. I've put mine together for 2 grand (kef reference 104.2, audiolab 8000C/P rega apollo and linn lp12,all secondhand) and alough i must say sounds ausom, i cant justify spending more than £300 on cablling. And the biggest problem is i cant test on my system so its all advise ???

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="scumbag"]gpi.
System is naim 202. 200. cd5x. fc2x. napsc . hiline. Running at the moment through my b&w XT 5.1 av front speakers, xt4s with the pv1 sub. The old speaker cable was chord rumour and the atlas bought more depth, the bass is in a different league, the whole sound has become bigger, with more defenition within the music. It has almost lifted a vail from the speakers..in fact they sound like different pair! The speakers won't be my end game but without the sub they were really bad with the rumour, unlistenable without the sub, I still use the sub but i've turned it down. The atlas cable has made a dramatic difference..The interconector is the naim hiline. not as much difference as the atlas but clearer vocals and you just hear more of the music, especially the softer not so obvious parts that you certainly wouldn't hear in the car. With regard to the cable running the wrong way I'll believe my dealer who said as the cable is new it will burn in, in any direction. It's time to enjoy the music, sometimes I think you can listen too closely and this can convince you that something isn't quite right.[/quote]

Glad to hear you are enjoying your music and it puts a smile on your face every time you switch it on, that's the main thing.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="evo6tme"]
well if some equipment is more suseptiple to cables than others the rega must be one ,becouse the cable that the linn silver replaced was another linn cable at £75 (dont know name) but the silver lit the whole room up. I was extremely suprised. But as i said £250 ?????
[/quote]Unless they've changed their range of cables it was probably the linn black (which i have two of in my system) I can't remember if i've heard them both back to back but i'd be surprised if the apollo needed a £250 cable.

A

Anonymous

I'm in the process of changing from Siltech Interconnects which were £2300 when I bought them and Townsend Isolda DCT which for the length I had was about £400. I'm changing to M.I.T. cabling, their entire range is absolutely amazing IMO, from the base c.£100 interconnects upwards. I actually preferred their £175 Interconnect to my old Siltech! Doesn't do the 'hifi' as well but it really does let the music through... Well worth a try!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="BigGuads"]I'm in the process of changing from Siltech Interconnects which were £2300 when I bought them and Townsend Isolda DCT which for the length I had was about £400. I'm changing to M.I.T. cabling, their entire range is absolutely amazing IMO, from the base c.£100 interconnects upwards. I actually preferred their £175 Interconnect to my old Siltech! Doesn't do the 'hifi' as well but it really does let the music through... Well worth a try![/quote]

Ooh, let me think, what shall I do? Buy a nice expensive pair of speakers and an amplifier, or two small lengths of coax with plugs on? It's a toughie.

A

Anonymous

Well, seeing as I already have the amp and speakers... We all know your views on interconnects and cables, just because you can't hear what other people do doesn't mean you should hijack a thread with sarcastic comments. I was just imparting what I found recently in a constructive manner. The OP asked for advice not comments like yours.

John Duncan

[quote user="evo6tme"]
I've just reasontly brought a rega apollo cd player,and the guy in the shop demod a linn silver rca conector which had a noticable improvement in the lead it replaced. but is it worth £250 ???? i'm tempted as the auction site has some going but as i'm newish to hifi i dont want to get ripped but do not mind paying for good kit ... is there anything at a more realistic price worth auditioning ????
[/quote]

Yes, plenty. Irrespective of the sound of the Linn, I found it fairly poorly made for the price, since when I demo'd it it had a loose connection. I am a 'believer' where interconnects are concerned, but £250 is too much in this context, frankly.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The rrp is 1.2 metre LINN silver single end interconnects is £210.

The 2nd value is £80 - £100.

2 question here? Why your dealer sale them for £40 more than the rrp price, most dealer would sale it cheaper than £200.

Have you try any other cables with Rega? Darren's copperline cost less than half of that and apparantly sound great + buy or return policy make it a very interesting alternative.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="BigGuads"]Well, seeing as I already have the amp and speakers... We all know your views on interconnects and cables, just because you can't hear what other people do doesn't mean you should hijack a thread with sarcastic comments. I was just imparting what I found recently in a constructive manner. The OP asked for advice not comments like yours.[/quote]

It's never a bad thing to retain a sense of perspective.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Masterbluster"]It's never a bad thing to retain a sense of perspective. You lack it, I supplied it.[/quote]

If all you can do is insult other users, please resist the temptation to post.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[quote user="Masterbluster"]It's never a bad thing to retain a sense of perspective. You lack it, I supplied it.[/quote]

If all you can do is insult other users, please resist the temptation to post.

[/quote]

Sorry, I've edited it.

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
as a newbee all i wanted was some advise,and i seem to have started a domestic
emotion-40.gif

But a big thanx to the advice i have recived. I will follow it up. Next it will be speaker cable but i dont want to start another domestic
emotion-1.gif

John Duncan

I'm afraid you will.

My view is that interconnects do make a difference, but that much of the cost of good ones is in the margin. There are some excellent alternatives out there (search for Gotham on eBay) which give you much, and sometimes all, of the performance of esoteric cables at a small fraction of the cost. My view is now that you should start off with some half decent cheap-ish cables and stick with them until you know your system's strengths and weaknesses very well - only when you really know its flaws should you consider using cables to fix them - and very often will only have small effects, rather than earth-shattering ones. Just my 2½.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="evo6tme"]
now thats what i mean. Thats a very expensive system so requires and deserves qualitty cables. I've put mine together for 2 grand (kef reference 104.2, audiolab 8000C/P rega apollo and linn lp12,all secondhand) and alough i must say sounds ausom, i cant justify spending more than £300 on cablling. And the biggest problem is i cant test on my system so its all advise ???
[/quote]

Hi evo, what I usually do to decide on what to buy and how much to spend is look through a few magazines' buying guides. Compare the five-star and best buy products and make a choice depending on your budget and common sense. I've never been disappointed with any product by selecting in this way (I do like to carefully research every purchase and make a short list and then read reviews) as the favourite buys in any category will usually be a safe bet. Whether you prefer Van den Hul over Chord, QED or Wireworld is ultimately down to personal preference and experience, expecially when looking at a certain price range in a very competitive market.

As a relevant side note, I was looking for a set of headshell leads a short time ago and had selected either VdH, Clearaudio, Audioquest or Sumiko. Someone told me they wouldn't let any VdH cables anywhere near their system, but especially in their tonearm. This did sway my purchasing decision as I value that person's knowledge and opinion. Others will probably choose the VdH over everything else. This just goes to show there isn't just one brand to recommend as everyone will have different opinions and experiences.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts