Upgrade or replace?

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My trusty old Pink Triangle LPT is getting a bit long in the tooth now, it's one of the early models and about 25 years old. About 15 months ago I had the RB300 tonearm rewired by Origin Live, a big improvement, it sounds great. Probably a bit of upgraditis kicking in, and being realistic the LPT may die one day, but I'm mulling over whether to upgrade what I have or buy something new. A turntable to see me through the next 10 - 15 years.

I could upgrade the LPT with Origin Live's DC 100 motor kit which will cost £345 (or an extra £130 if I go for the DC200 kit.) And possibly upgrade to one of Origin Live's tonearms, the Silver looks good value at £675. I will also need to factor in paying someone to do the upgrade work for me. The problem with this route is I won't know what it will sound like until the work is done, although reviews I've read and emails from OL suggest it'll be a big improvement (not sure of the details of those improvements) on what I currently have. The other question is, is it worth splashing out that much money on a 25 year old mid-range turntable?

The other option is to buy a new turntable. So what do I need to spend in order to get something appreciably better than what I already have? I haven't heard one yet but I quite like the look of the Analogue Works TT1. With a decent tonearm that will set me back 2 grand plus.

I'd be interested in hearing whether any of you guys have been down this road, or what you would do in a similar position.

CnoEvil said:
If its in good fettle, I'd upgrade and keep it.

I'd just keep it. The Origin Live arm, although good, will offer little over the RB300 which is excellent. You have a great cartridge already so that route is of little interest.

The power supply upgrade is debatable for that price and isn't going to bring anything into sound quality.

So your options are few I believe as selling it as is will not bring in a huge amount.

It really depends on how much you rely on vinyl and how much you want to spend.

If you really need a change look at a second-hand Michell Gyro with fitted TechnoArm A.

Perhaps an upgrade to your speakers might be another avenue to explore.

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, both, for your comments. While I also listen to CDs and stream Spotify, vinyl's my first port of call. Maybe I'll stick with what I have for now and think about upgrades and replacements when the LPT's finally knocking on heaven's door...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts