integrated amps

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been recommended the Denon PMA-1500AE amp. Has anyone any comments upon this? What is the quality of Denon both with regard to sound reproduction and reliability? I know that sound is dependant upon many things but how does this amp stand up to the competition - Price range £550/£650. (I need a phono input connection).

I have a couple of Mission 727 speakers (8 Ohms). .

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Unusually this amp caters for both MM and MC carts, a good feature. I've always liked the look of this amp, it looks well-built and well-specced but I have never heard one. I know of someone who had one and he was very pleased with it.

A

Anonymous

Good morning Gerrardasnails,

Thanks for your comments. Very encouraging.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I just recommended that amp in a previous thread to someone that wanted good sound staging. Denon amplifiers have no reliability problems I know of.

The easies way to describe this is if you imagine a wide open soundstage with slightly soft edges (diffuse) in focus/treble/bass ... thats a marantz 7001. The Denon has a slightly smaller stage, solid bass, better focus with a slightly thinner treble and sounds dryer but not in cold way.

A compromise between the two at similar cost is the Rega Brio or if you dont want to compromise and get the best of the two get a cyrus 8vs2 with external phonostage.

A

Anonymous

Hello there,

I too have been looking at this amplifer and have done a lot of research on it and seen a lot of good reviews.

It definately looks good too and after a lot of time browsing the net I have come to the conclusion that if I had to compare it to another amplifier, I would say the Marantz PM7001KI is in the same league.

Seeing that Denon and Marantz are the same company I would think they are both solid amplifiers.

I'm going towards the Denon myself and although people say that Denon are concentrating more on AV amps now, I think they have gone full out with the 1500ae and 2000 amps and built excellent stereo amps.

What speakers were you thinking of hooking the 1500ae to ?

A

Anonymous

Yes, that is one of the reviews I have also seen.

Denon and Marantz are part of D&M Profesional Holdings:

http://www.d-mpro.com/

A

Anonymous

Hello Snow_Owl,

I've got a pair of Mission 727s. Bought in 1982 when I sold my Quad system due to lack of space in a new house.

A

Anonymous

Interesting question - I have just upgraded my own system, and I've spent a lot of time listening ti to integrated amps, among these the Denon.

It's a good amp, no doubt. I had it on a weekend home loan (demo model), and to me it sounded a bit "fat" - big sound, bass a little too overplayed, the instruments somewhat centered towards the middle. But plenty of power and a good RIAA-step for your turntable (as built-ins go, anyhow). No detectable distortion at high levels, pretty good transient response.

I ended up with the new Pioneer A-A9-J. In my wiew, this is a better integrated amp in all areas, except regarding raw power. See my reply on the thread about this amp for my wiews. I don't know what the Pioneer costs in the U.K., but I paid about 550 £ for mine (after a bit of negociating, as I bought their new CD-player as well).

Best regards, monsanto

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Snow_Owl"]Seeing that Denon and Marantz are the same company[/quote]

Huh? Since when?[/quote]

http://www.dm-holdings.com/eng/brands/

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
And McIntosh I see. There's possibly an Arab sheik somewhere who owns DM Holdings.
emotion-43.gif

A

Anonymous

Anyone suggest any speakers I could get to go with the 1500ae amp ?

I'd originally been looking at Mezzo2's or Monitor Audio BR2.

I'd spend up to about £400.

Many thanks.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Monsanto,

I'll have a look at the Pioneer. I realise of course that 'Sound Satisfaction' depends on additional things like speakers, room size/shape, age of the ears and brain, etc......

I cannot have a home trial because I live in France and I wish to buy when I next go to the UK (June). Prices here are much higher than in the UK. Therefore it is good to have the advice of members of the forum based upon their own experiences of equipment.

Regards,

Sandy 7

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts