HT and Hi-Fi integration, recommandations please.

tapidlittle

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
I bought a Fluance RT85 couple weeks ago. For now it is plugged in a Denon AVR receiver into the phono input.

Sound is 'ok'. My SACDs sounds way better in the same system play through an OPPO 203. I know the analog part of an AVR (4300x) is mostly bad normally.

So I was wondering if I buy a good integrated amp, would I get a nice improvement? I need one that can be integrated to my HT system, meaning I will power my mains with the new amp and the rest of the 7.1 on my AVR.

I think I need a function where I can 'tell' the amp to act only as an amp and adjust the volume with my AVR.

I found a used Marantz PM-14S1, the asking price is 1800$ (Can$), I really don't know if it's a good deal, and if I will really see a good improvement over my AVR.
It has a phono input, but nothing digital and no streaming or bluetooth or wireless features.

Should I get an all-in-one device instead? Like the Cambridge Evo 150 (much more expensive but full features)

I'm lost! thanks for any inputs.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
You can use any amp with stereo inputs, connect front l&r outs from Denon to any line level input, set volume of new amp to normal listening level then re run the Denon setup and it will adjust volume to right levels then just set new amp to same level for every movie, some amps have a dedicated ht pass through specifically for this purpose but not all.

The Evo 150 only has one line level aux input, ignoring the 3.5mm/phono inputs, rest are digital, just bought one and will be using same way as you with a denon ht amp.

Not all set up yet due to decorating cinema room as we speak.

Been quite impressed with Evo, plenty of power, nice smooth amp with good amount of bass, my speakers are singing even at low volume levels

Last edited:
Reactions: tapidlittle

tapidlittle

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
You can use any amp with stereo inputs, connect front l&r outs from Denon to any line level input, set volume of new amp to normal listening level then re run the Denon setup and it will adjust volume to right levels then just set new amp to same level for every movie, some amps have a dedicated ht pass through specifically for this purpose but not all.

The Evo 150 only has one line level aux input, ignoring the 3.5mm/phono inputs, rest are digital, just bought one and will be using same way as you with a denon ht amp.

Not all set up yet due to decorating cinema room as we speak.

Been quite impressed with Evo, plenty of power, nice smooth amp with good amount of bass, my speakers are singing even at low volume levels

thanks! I thought it was mandatory to have a dedicated HT bypass, good to know.

Did you compare your AVR with the EVO with the same speakers?

I really want to improve the phono sound, hoping to get something more close to an SACD, with a touch of analog sound.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Speakers def sound better, were running off the Denon, other kit currently disconnected, not hooked up my turntable yet as stuff everywhere but guess again should be good improvement over the Denons phono stage, I have a phono amp as well which will compare once I have time.

I bought my Evo 150 to reduce amount of boxes I own

TRENDING THREADS