Question Integrated Amp Suggestions?

Corn Pop

Aug 11, 2024
Visit site
Hi,
Just found the forum! I've been reading Whathifi for years.

So my 2017 Hegel Rost seems to have died and repairs iffy and a hassle so in the market for new.

I most play my ripped CDs from my Macbook Pro via USB cable and a TV audio via Toslink.

I'm a full time RV'er and the 75watts is maybe slightly overkill. I run it at ~50-65/100 max with occasional bit more. Focal 8ohm speakers. Occasional headphone use but the hegel isn't the best for my Beyerdynamics 1990 Pros.

My research has pushed me towards the Schiit Ragnarok 2 fully loaded for $1200 on sale or the Rotel S14 which is on deep discount; $999!

I find it just as easy to "stream" Tidal via computer and USB to amp so no need for the wireless options as it's almost always plugged in.

One thing against both the above options rather large footprint. Yes the Hegel is a good size but being RV'er a smaller unit may be appealing....

Open to any suggestions! I'm in USA.

Thanks,

Corn Pop

Aug 11, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Presumably you mean Rotel A14?
What exactly do you need in the way of inputs?
Perhaps another second-hand Rost??

Hi,
Oops! Rotel S14! Sorry!

USB and Toslink preferred....I think my TV has a few options but recall having issues trying to get coax/RCA to work with Hegel but toslink's been flawless.

I was searching for a used Rost but none to be had! It's a bummer as I almost sold it a year or so ago and NOS prices were ~$750!!! Those deals are long gone so....

Thanks!

Corn Pop

Aug 11, 2024
Visit site
There is a Rotel S14, it's an all in one amp and streamer like the Cambridge Evo. Reviews are not great though.

Yeah...I actually see decent reviews but I contacted Crutchfield about one and all they had in stock were 25 "scratch and dent"! Agent presumed returns while trying to sell me on it.

Ragnarok 2 seems to be the one that I'm leaning towards. Small USA made company that sell direct so doesn't seemt o get the love big brands pay for in advertising and reviews but I've yet to read anything bad about it!

Reactions: Al ears
Yeah...I actually see decent reviews but I contacted Crutchfield about one and all they had in stock were 25 "scratch and dent"! Agent presumed returns while trying to sell me on it.

Ragnarok 2 seems to be the one that I'm leaning towards. Small USA made company that sell direct so doesn't seemt o get the love big brands pay for in advertising and reviews but I've yet to read anything bad about it!
Schiit not big in UK so know little about it.
If it has the connections you require and is a decent price worth a punt I guess.

Corn Pop

Aug 11, 2024
Visit site
I bought the Ragnarok 2 fully loaded! Pretty danged good! I've been relistening to many of my favorite albums and WOW!

I gotta say it's noticeably better than the Hegel Rost! More range, more separation. Beautiful sound stage! Less than half the price I paid for the Rost! Schiit did it right by focussing on sound fidelity at a good price point skipping flashy bells and whistles. I can't believe these are USA made at this price point! I read a few bench tests and it scored well above its price point!

I'm no audiophile but have had a series of better than average integrated amps. Several Hegel, several NAD, Yamaha, Pioneer. The Hegel Rost was the best for me but the Ragnarok 2 is head and shoulders above in every category!

I know a lot of y'all are UK/EU and Schiit is a direct sales brand but even with overseas shipping I think it would be worth a serious look!

The Ragnatok 2 is available to buy in the UK but without a DAC it is still £1750 , that's 2307 dollars, which puts it up against some stiff competition as you can see from what you paid for your fully loaded version. Not really such a bargain over here.
Glad you found something that works well with your other equipment.

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

Hi,

So my 2017 Hegel Rost seems to have died and repairs iffy and a hassle so in the market for new.

I most play my ripped CDs from my Macbook Pro via USB cable and a TV audio via Toslink.

I'm a full time RV'er and the 75watts is maybe slightly overkill. I run it at ~50-65/100 max with occasional bit more. Focal 8ohm speakers. Occasional headphone use but the hegel isn't the best for my Beyerdynamics 1990 Pros.

My research has pushed me towards the Schiit Ragnarok 2 fully loaded for $1200 on sale or the Rotel S14 which is on deep discount; $999!

I find it just as easy to "stream" Tidal via computer and USB to amp so no need for the wireless options as it's almost always plugged in.

One thing against both the above options rather large footprint. Yes the Hegel is a good size but being RV'er a smaller unit may be appealing....

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks,
If 45watts is enough to drive your speakers I would recommend you take a look at the Mission 778X. We'll within budget, sounds great and has all the features you need. And it's only about 9 inches wide. (HWD: 9.8 x 23.6 x 38.6cm).

Corn Pop

Aug 11, 2024
Visit site
The Ragnatok 2 is available to buy in the UK but without a DAC it is still £1750 which puts it up against some stiff competition.

Still a deal! That's ~$2300usd and it blows away any $2300 amp I ever had!

Probably a result of the EU forced return policies that ar econfusing at best! I don't sell to EU as a result any longer.
If 45watts is enough to drive your speakers I would recommend you take a look at the Mission 778X. We'll within budget, sounds great and has all the features you need. And it's only about 9 inches wide. (HWD: 9.8 x 23.6 x 38.6cm).
Well... I already bought the Ragnarok.

It's 60w with 8ohm speakers and 100w with 4ohms.

Reactions: skinnypuppy71

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts