Installing Rega Elys 2 on Rega Planar 3

swains

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

This forum has been a wonderful hlep getting me to now being ever so close to playing some vinyl on my first setup. Fantastic recommendations on a few key purchases. I bought a Rega Planar 3 and Rega Elys 2 separately from eBay; second hand turntable in good condition and new unused cartridge.

I was planning to get the cartridge installed as recommended by a Rega dealer, but with COVID 19, and the fact that it would cost a lot more to do so than I assumed, I'd like to install and align it myself. Is it as simple and straightforward as some sites say it is? If so, does anyone have any good links to videos / sites that have clear instructions on how to do so with these particular components as I haven't been able to find any after a decent amount of searching,

As always, thanks in advance,

Tom

Reactions: Richard T 1

Gray

Hi,

This forum has been a wonderful hlep getting me to now being ever so close to playing some vinyl on my first setup. Fantastic recommendations on a few key purchases. I bought a Rega Planar 3 and Rega Elys 2 separately from eBay; second hand turntable in good condition and new unused cartridge.

I was planning to get the cartridge installed as recommended by a Rega dealer, but with COVID 19, and the fact that it would cost a lot more to do so than I assumed, I'd like to install and align it myself. Is it as simple and straightforward as some sites say it is? If so, does anyone have any good links to videos / sites that have clear instructions on how to do so with these particular components as I haven't been able to find any after a decent amount of searching,

As always, thanks in advance,

Tom
Have you got an alignment protractor Tom?
And a balance (or scales) to set the tracking force?

swains

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I have bought a protractor but do not currently have a balance / scales to set the tracking force.
I imagine I'm completely wrong but I thought I could set the tracking force on the side of the tonearm of the rega planar 3?

Reactions: Dom

Gray

I thought I could set the tracking force on the side of the tonearm of the rega planar 3?
Yes you can, just as the video that Dom has linked to above shows.
A balance or scales just allow you to accurately confirm the downforce (which is how I set the weight on my RB300) but it's not essential.
You mentioned that the cartridge is unused.
I'd still have a good visual inspection of its stylus and cantilever before installing it.
(A microscope gives me a good look at the stylus - but I'm a fussy old git).
Are you OK with how to use your cartridge alignment gauge and the reason for using it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

Another vid here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns2DTj_UAqo

Plenty on youtube.
I tend to use tweezers to connect the tonearm wires to the cartridge pins, not as cumbersome as pliers, and those cables are quite thin so be careful.
Patience is the key to dialling in a cartridge properly so take your time.
Any more Q's or advice just come back and ask here.

Last edited by a moderator:

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I have bought a protractor but do not currently have a balance / scales to set the tracking force.
I imagine I'm completely wrong but I thought I could set the tracking force on the side of the tonearm of the rega planar 3?

You'll probably be ok without a scale for now as there is a tolerance in tracking weight of the cart between 1.5g and 2g. Though ideally I think 1.75 to 1.8 is best for the elys.

Though from experience the rega dial is not the most accurate so longer term scales are a good bet.

On alignment using a protractor is always a good thing but as it is a rega cart on a rega arm the three screw alignment pretty much does it for you.

I second Dougs suggestion with regards tweezers for disconnecting and connecting the wires.

Last edited:

swains

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, you were right, the three screw alignment made this job incredibly straight forward. I also followed given advice and bought a set of scales which was worthwhile as my initial attempt was a little off at 1.9. All set and enjoying the set up immensely!

Papawheely

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
I bought a planar 3 with the elys cart in November. I didn’t ever setup the geometry and always notice a lot of noise. I haven’t had vinyl since I was 16, so I don’t know how much is acceptable. But I went to set the cart with a protractor and notice with the third screw in, you can’t really adjust it. I removed the third screw and that dragging noise diminished quite a bit. Is there something to this?

I bought a planar 3 with the elys cart in November. I didn’t ever setup the geometry and always notice a lot of noise. I haven’t had vinyl since I was 16, so I don’t know how much is acceptable. But I went to set the cart with a protractor and notice with the third screw in, you can’t really adjust it. I removed the third screw and that dragging noise diminished quite a bit. Is there something to this?
The idea of the third screw is that you don't need to do any alignment. It is noisy in this position you have incorrect tracking force applied or there is a problem with your cartridge.

TRENDING THREADS