Innuos Zen Mini basics

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
One of the comments I made when I got mine, was that I no longer saw the need for high end CD players (other than to do just that!).

I can see where you're coming from, but I will always keep the EMC1UP until it goes to HiFi heaven, as I do still love the physical format and the main reason I have gone down the Innuous route is that my CD collection is growing a little out of control with albums sitting on my side table 10/15 deep until I can be bothered to place them alphabetically on their shelves.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
This feels like a silly question but I'm going to ask it anyway .... Can an Innuos and linn ds co exisit ? Which interface would you use? And is there any merits in having both?

Kubs said:
This feels like a silly question but I'm going to ask it anyway .... Can an Innuos and linn ds co exisit ? Which interface would you use? And is there any merits in having both?
Hi Kubs, the nice chap I bought my Sneaky DS from recently had bought a Zenith to replace it, so I think he saw it as an upgrade. Of course, they don’t do interchangeable things, as the DS has no content and can store nothing. But I can see the appeal of a Zenith as opposed to a DS plus a NAS.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
Kubs said:
Hi Kubs, the nice chap I bought my Sneaky DS from recently had bought a Zenith to replace it, so I think he saw it as an upgrade.  Of course, they don’t do interchangeable things, as the DS has no content and can store nothing.  But I can see the appeal of a Zenith as opposed to a DS plus a NAS. 
Interesting ... So he must have bought a DAC too? Or he could have 'upgraded' the sneaky to a Majik or Akurate .... Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out aloud ... What would I do to gain the better sound quality increase ... Upgrade my dac to a Linn or upgrade my storage and streamer to an Innuos zenith (appreciate I need to go and demo blah blah ... ) Just wondering ......

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
I've finally finished ripping my CD collection, just shy of 800 discs, taken up 24% HD storage, really enjoyed it in a strange way

Mac

Hah, I knew you'd get into this Streaming lark.

Now that you have your collection at your finger tips, can scan your albums, mix and match and Tee Up play lists....you will use your CDP less and less.

Soon you will be telling people that CDPs are so 20th Century. *diablo*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
I've finally finished ripping my CD collection, just shy of 800 discs, taken up 24% HD storage, really enjoyed it in a strange way

Mac

Hah, I knew you'd get into this Streaming lark.

Now that you have your collection at your finger tips, can scan your albums, mix and match and Tee Up play lists....you will use your CDP less and less.

Yep, already happening.

Soon you will be telling people that CDPs are so 20th Century. *diablo*

No! no! I will always want CD's if only to rip and store... I still refuse to download albums.

Mac

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
Kubs said:

Hi cubs

Here's something from the Linn forum...

Thanks for the link Mac and I'm pleased you're enjoying your new toy. I'm considering Innuos at the moment - did you notice a change in how the music was presented by using the Innuos and how would you describe it? (Apologies if you have mentioned in a previous response).
I can full appreciate the burning process and how satisfying it can be.
Sorry, last question, I assume you are linking your Innuos by usb to DAC? Which cable are you using and did you experiment before choosing?

Cheers,

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
Kubs said:
Macspur said:
Kubs said:

Hi cubs

Thanks for the link Mac and I'm pleased you're enjoying your new toy. I'm considering Innuos at the moment - did you notice a change in how the music was presented by using the Innuos and how would you describe it? (Apologies if you have mentioned in a previous response). I can full appreciate the burning process and how satisfying it can be. Sorry, last question, I assume you are linking your Innuos by usb to DAC? Which cable are you using and did you experiment before choosing?

Cheers,

Hey no apologies necessary.

Re the question of SQ, all I can say I have always loved my CDP for its analogue like sound, see sig and in my set up, I haven't noticed any change for the wo.

As for the USB cable I use between the Innuous and the DAC, at the moment I'm just using a cheap one bought from Maplins.

Let us know if you make any decision... if you want to demo one at home, Fanthorpes would happily let you have one to try.

Mac

Cool - thanks.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Kubs said:
Macspur said:
Kubs said:

Hi cubs

Thanks for the link Mac and I'm pleased you're enjoying your new toy. I'm considering Innuos at the moment - did you notice a change in how the music was presented by using the Innuos and how would you describe it? (Apologies if you have mentioned in a previous response). I can full appreciate the burning process and how satisfying it can be. Sorry, last question, I assume you are linking your Innuos by usb to DAC? Which cable are you using and did you experiment before choosing?

Cheers,

Re the question of SQ, all I can say I have always loved my CDP for its analogue like sound, see sig and in my set up, I haven't noticed any change for the worse.

As for the USB cable I use between the Innuous and the DAC, at the moment I'm just using a cheap one bought from Maplins.

Let us know if you make any decision... if you want to demo one at home, Fanthorpes would happily let you have one to try.

Mac

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
Kubs said:
Macspur said:
Kubs said:

Hi cubs

Cheers,

Re the question of SQ, all I can say I have always loved my CDP for its analogue like sound, see sig and in my set up, I haven't noticed any change for the worse.

Mac

Hello, me again. So in summary you haven't gained an improvement in sound quality by moving to the Innuos, however you have benefited from an improved music management system that is easily accessible?
Did you compare the lower models and how did their sound compare to the zenith?
Thanks in advance.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Kubs said:
Macspur said:
Kubs said:
Macspur said:
Kubs said:

Hi cubs

Cheers,

Mac

Hello, me again. So in summary you haven't gained an improvement in sound quality by moving to the Innuos, however you have benefited from an improved music management system that is easily accessible?

Yes, exactly that... I thinkI'd have to pay a lot more to better the SQ of my CDP, so as long as it was on a par I was happy.

Did you compare the lower models and how did their sound compare to the zenith? Thanks in advance.

Yes, I home demoed the Zen mini and in my system, it fell quite short from the EMC1UP, quite flat and dull in comparison.

Mac

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
[/quote] Hello, me again. So in summary you haven't gained an improvement in sound quality by moving to the Innuos, however you have benefited from an improved music management system that is easily accessible?

Yes, exactly that... I thinkI'd have to pay a lot more to better the SQ of my CDP, so as long as it was on a par I was happy.

Did you compare the lower models and how did their sound compare to the zenith? Thanks in advance.

Yes, I home demoed the Zen mini and in my system, it fell quite short from the EMC1UP, quite flat and dull in comparison.

Mac

[/quote]
[/quote]
Much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts