InFocus IN80 Panasonic DMP-BD80 settings advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello guys/gals,

My IN80 and DMP-BD80 produce a slight "tizz" on white backgrounds like cupboard doors and skies etc. I have the iris set between 60 and 70 but would welcome some advice on what settings might help reduce it. Colour, brightness, contrast based upon experience would be very helpful. Any other advanced settings would be helpful too.

Many thanks.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi developer215,

Although i no longer have a DLP projector i hope my advice will help. Fizzing is common with DLP chips but that doesn't mean you can't improve it.

Firstly beg, borrow or buy a good calibration disc. I purchased 'Digital Video Essentials' for around £13. You can use it for all you're kit, once its yours, its yours. But before you begin set the PJ to 'natural or similar' and turn off dynamic iris or any other form of processing. Worth dropping the sharpness too. Set Panny player to ' Normal'.

Now follow the disc ensuring that brightness is set first. Use you're regular lamp mode. Then when you set the contrast you will see that each bar represents a gradient of white. Increase the contrast until it blurs out, now go back the other way until the lines become solid and the blocks of white have great edge definition. Hold there.

Next set colour with included glasses to ensure no colour bleed and then sharpness. Don't push sharpness hard, you should not have any blurring or 'double lineage' on the bars and no.s. I would suggest that you set close up and again at a distance just too be sure. No longer need 'dynamic iris' on my PJ, spoils the image. Just make sure you set the basics before you add often unnecessary processing.

I have used this disc with my LCD PJ and Phillips TV and can't believe people spend hundreds of pounds on new kit without using some form of thorough calibration. May also be worth spending a fiver on a 'thatcable' hdmi cable. This improved edge definition on PJ measurably. Suggest shortest length mind.

Finally, the Panny DMP-BD80 works best if when a film is running you press-display-picture-mode-film manually. For some reason mine doesn't always pick up the correct cadence.

Sorry 'war and piece'

Let me know if it works.

Kind Regards,

Cookie Monster

A

Anonymous

Hello Cookie Monster,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Got the DVE disc and altered some settings. On the Panny I found HDMI Output set to "enhanced". Set this back to standard and it seems a bit better. Still fizzing though. I see that the latest sony players are getting rave reviews - do you think one would be better than my BD-80 with regard to the fizz?

Many thanks,

John

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi John,

Hopefully things have improved a little but as i originally mentioned 'fizzing' unfortunatly can come from the DLP chip. Don't think a new BD player will improve things but don't know for sure. In fact the more i see of other players the more i don't want to change my Panny, especially with DVD upscaling.

Still worth trying a few things yet:

A lot of cheaper (earlier) DLP projectors were not as bright thus masking noise, try using Eco lamp mode and vice-versa. Not ideal but you could also try manually dropping the PJ brightness until fizzing is less visible and try increasing brightness on the Panny's Manual settings to see if you can override the work the PJ is doing.

Check that the Panny is outputting 1080p for BD and also for DVD.Guessing its ok but things can get changed. Pixel for pixel will remove the need for scaling artefacts.

Still think its a DLP chip issue but as a last resort you could try swapping HDMI cables to ensure no noise is coming from poor shielding, and perhaps try a Mains Conditioner. Not saying a mains conditioner will fix things but any noise removal should show on screen. I have a Tacime (£30), worth looking at reviews yourself and seeing if it may help. Helped mine and my TV.

Last 2 things:

Do you use a socket to socket ethernet connection? I have read of people getting lots of noise into their systems from using them.

and turn the HDMI sound off on your Panny so that this doesn't reach the PJ.

Best Wishes,

Cookie MOnster

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts