Info on Sony Blu-ray Recorders anyone?

cutter74

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
Looking at the relevant post regarding Sony's upcoming TV and Bluray range, I can't help but notice that there doesn't seem to be any news for a bluray recorder range. Nothing is mentioned in Sony's UK site either. Does anyone have any info?

matthewpiano

From the information we have been given there are no plans for BD recorders at present. They are planning a twin-tuner Freeview HD PVR for later in the year but, otherwise, the recorder market will continue to be served by the RDR-DC100 Hard Drive/DVD Recorder and its bigger capacity derivatives. In Japan they have done Hard Drive recorders with Blu-Ray Disc playback drives.

Personally I don't see BD taking off as a major recording format. Removable media are becoming less desirable for recording as more and more people depend on Hard Drive storage. As home computer networks and TV systems converge more and more, I can see the future involving recording to NAS drives or even solid state memory.

cutter74

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
I agree Matthew; the reason I started thinking about a bluray recorder is the fact that in my country (Greece), digital broadcasting is going live nationwide in a few months and my old dvd recorder (rdr-hx710) is equipped with an analogue tuner only. I was looking for a way to be able to record digital broadcasts to hdd, while in the meantime cutting on the (unacceptable in my opinion) loading times of BD disks, since I was hoping on using the new recorder as my main BD player as well.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...Whereas in Japan Blu-ray players are in the minority, and most machines are BD recorders, or BD-R/HDD combis. But then Japanese digital TV receivers tend to have convenient outputs to feed HD content to such recorders...

TRENDING THREADS