Indulgence and my system photos

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

knaithrover said:
Really like the look of your system, in particular the PMC's.I've never heard PMC's I wonder what they'd sound like with my Roksans...

bring your roksan amps around if you like and if you are within a close difference for you. I’m in Sussex. My impression of roksan from what I’ve heard and listened too, is hard hitting amps, power, and authority. If that majors on your tastes then it will suit pmc I think which are about good bass and dynamics for their size and price, and good bass and treble balance.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
knaithrover said:
Really like the look of your system, in particular the PMC's.I've never heard PMC's I wonder what they'd sound like with my Roksans...

bring your roksan amps around if you like and if you are within a close difference for you. I’m in Sussex. My impression of roksan from what I’ve heard and listened too, is hard hitting amps, power, and authority. If that majors on your tastes then it will suit pmc I think which are about good bass and dynamics for their size and price, and good bass and treble balance.

Thanks for the offer and would love to but I'm in the North East of England so unfortunately too far. There's a PMC dealer 40 miles away I'm going to try though..

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Those PMCs really look the part.

I'm on my lunch break at work and couldn't open the pictures with Chrome. Firefox did the trick, but it was a bit sluggish (Win7).

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Weirdly they started off a darker walnut and then over time have got a more orange hue, which I prefer as it matches my rack and the orange walnut contrasts more with the black drive units and atl ports. Also shows the graining more. My old pmc’s did this and probably effect of sunlight as I live in an airy flat.

From a photo, I actually picked these from the factory specifying lots of graining, after the courier dropped my pair when delivering to the dealer, denting one of the cabinets. I took the damaged pair home until pmc (Tom Barron) delivered me my set in jan which Id already picked. So all in the courier did me a favour. Also got a good trade in price on my old pmc speakers from the dealer I bought them. I’d definetly recommend paul of hi Fi lounge. A good dealer and lovely facilities.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
ellisdj said:
Ophidian was using Exposure at the Indulgence show FWIW

I was impressed with the Ophidian Mambo back at the Bristol Show earlier this year. It was quite amazing for such a compact floorstander. If I'm considering Spendor and PMC, then the Ophidian Prophet P2 would be an option although I would have to stretch to £3699 *shok*

From the Bristol Show it was the Spendor D7 that I was smitten with, although coming back down to earth, the Scansonic M9 sounded very good too.

spendor d7 is one of my favourites and I know someone who uses my similar Cyrus stuff with d7s. I think the size speakers I have suit my room otherwise something like d7s would be on the list with atc scm40s.

My Rega RS5 floorstanders cannot be described as compact, and volume wise are quite large. I have made a small list of prospective floorstanders which includes their dimensions and overall volume, just to allow me to compare against my current speakers. When you look at the advice that IPL Acoustics gives for their speakers based on size, there seems to be a tipping point between size/volume and room size. The D7's maybe too big for my 5m x 4m (LxW) room but of course I will have to demo them to find out. I'm just at the option gathering stage at present.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

What’s your budget Jonathan. I’d gladly do you a shortlist for demo based on what I think will be good, what I’ve heard, and to suit different tastes or your tastes. What kind of sound presentation do you like?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
What’s your budget Jonathan. I’d gladly do you a shortlist for demo based on what I think will be good, what I’ve heard, and to suit different tastes or your tastes. What kind of sound presentation do you like?

That's kind of you. The Exposure amps produce an open, clear, almost nuetral but very slightly on the warm side. They have been described as quite big hearted or ballsy too. Reviews say they are very well balanced, ie they do everything well rather than excel in one particular area. On demo and comparing the 3010S2D integrated against the Rega Elicit R, I just felt that the Exposure just felt right. The dealer who delivered the 3010S2D commented how I liked an open, clear and wide (soundstage) sound based on how my room is laid out and the sound produced by the Exposure/Rega combo. The RS5's are 1 meter in from both the side and back walls - so I have some space to play with. Music wise, all sorts except heavy metal and rock. I like nothing better than relaxing late at night. Budget, well I'm only going to do this once, and to make the most of the Exposure pre/power - realistically between £2k to £4k. But I am in no rush and I have some significant events to attend first (sorry can't say what they are, but you would understand if I was able to explain). But I am intersted in your suggested list.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Whatever IPL quote is probably correct as I have had to downsize due to a room rearrangement. The S4tl's then produced a huge 35Hz double resonance so they'll be for sale, I am currently finishing the slightly smaller S2's which are perfect. Don't forget that the IPL offerings are mainly front port only transmission lines.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

jonathanRD said:

That's kind of you. The Exposure amps produce an open, clear, almost nuetral but very slightly on the warm side. They have been described as quite big hearted or ballsy too. Reviews say they are very well balanced, ie they do everything well rather than excel in one particular area. On demo and comparing the 3010S2D integrated against the Rega Elicit R, I just felt that the Exposure just felt right. The dealer who delivered the 3010S2D commented how I liked an open, clear and wide (soundstage) sound based on how my room is laid out and the sound produced by the Exposure/Rega combo. The RS5's are 1 meter in from both the side and back walls - so I have some space to play with. Music wise, all sorts except heavy metal and rock. I like nothing better than relaxing late at night. Budget, well I'm only going to do this once, and to make the most of the Exposure pre/power - realistically between £2k to £4k. But I am in no rush and I have some significant events to attend first (sorry can't say what they are, but you would understand if I was able to explain). But I am intersted in your suggested list.

Id say you need something of a small floorstander type for the size of your room so you don’t get too much room involvement of bass that a larger bigger speaker can derive. Of your set up I’d get the impression it gives you quite a smooth rounded rich sound. Whether that’s what you like to choose for further speakers I don’t know, but I’ve chosen some of the types I like that do that too, if only a bit more dynamic with bass and better with resolution and midrange to the rs5s I’d say. I heard the rs7s when trialling my old Pmc’s so have a view of your Regas based on that. That’s only my view and it may be wrong such is how amps and speakers have to pair together, but with your exposure amps they sound pretty neutral so am basing it on that too. No order of importance or preference

1) pmc 20 23. Now around £1500. This would be a step up for dynamics, detail and resolution and bass response to your Regas. I compared them when I bought them to the rs7 and they were a lot better in these areas, but obviously they were £2400 against the rs7s then which I think were about £1600

2) pmc 25 23.£3100. These have better mids, more dynamics in bass and mids to the old 20 23 . It may not be to your taste as with your amps you’d get a lot more detail than you are used too. But it’s fantastially better in improved areas over previous model.

3) spendor a6r -£2500. Again they can be quite toppy with the wrong amps and with Cyrus stuff I have, I heard them at a dealer and they were very toppy. Maybe not for you again, but again they are very strong dynamically and bass wise, accuracy and all other areas are strong like the pmc’s. They could, because of there ability to be quite good in high frequencies, too sharp against the rs5

4) pro ac response dt8 - £2000. Lovely smooth rich refined sound and very well timed and heard this on Friday at the show. Good soundstage and good with rock and blues they were playing.

5) pro ac response d20r - £2795.i thought this seriously good when I heard it at the Bristol show. With a ribbon tweeter. Very impressive balanced sound with no hint of tiredness in treble and again a very smooth design, like most of the pro acs.

6) neat momentum sx5i £4000. These are very revealing speakers, a bit like a kef reference one standmount, at this type of price. Again heard these at Bristol and though them fantastic with some naim stuff. I also heard them in the chord room at indulgence with the Dave dac. The problem I think with these types of speakers, they are going into a level of quality with detail that demands very good amplification indeed to get the best out of them.

7) kudos cardea c20 £3550. I’ve not heard these but hear lots of people on a few forums really rating them . The x3’s are a bit between pmc 20 23s and 25 23 for detail but not as good as the 25 23. Very good value, big sound from small cabinets and good dynamics for the price.

8) totem hawk . I think these are around £3500.they are rich sounding and very musically engaging but have a reputation for being hard to drive.

So in summary it depends on whether you are flexible to tastes or the sound in buying a new speaker, or you want something more similar to the sound of the rs 7. If the former I think you will be open to the likes of pmc’s like mine, or kudos or neat for example. If the latter you want something like totem or for value I just don’t think you can get better than pro ac offerings around the price. I’d avoid kef r series like r700(£2k) as I just don’t think them dynamic enough with bass to other brands like pro ac, neat and pmc, using similar amps. On those ophidian prophet speakers they don’t do dynamics anywhere near as good as a pmc, spendor, or pro ac. By this I mean speed of bass and getting on and off notes and sounds. I heard them at indulgence and albeit a small room, I’ve heard plenty of louder bigger speakers sound more dynamic in similar rooms. They are a small start up firm and I doubt have had anywhere near the development of a kef or pmc etc. So they may sound good with soundstage, which I thought one of there bigger pluses, but when you hear them next to some better pmc’s etc, you will hear they don’t handle the on and off nature of music to make it more real and accurate and be as balanced.

Hope helps.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
paulkebab said:
Whatever IPL quote is probably correct as I have had to downsize due to a room rearrangement. The S4tl's then produced a huge 35Hz double resonance so they'll be for sale, I am currently finishing the slightly smaller S2's which are perfect. Don't forget that the IPL offerings are mainly front port only transmission lines.

Spot on Paul with the IPL models I had looked at - what size is your new room that is 'too small' for the S4tl's?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting stuff and I am amazed you can reel off all that in such a short time, whilst I ate my dinner *smile*

Like my amp hunt, the availablity of home demos will be a factor, albiet I think my local Audio T appears to stock PMC and Spendor.

I shall save your post and keep it for when I have the time to commit to the hunt.

In the meantime I can look a little closer at some of your suggestions.

Cheers fella!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you like the way Rega Speakers sound, I'd suggest you look at:

- Harbeth

- Spendor Classic Range

- Diapason

- Sonus Faber

(Chosing the right size for your room)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
If you like the way Rega Speakers sound, I'd suggest you look at:

- Harbeth

- Spendor Classic Range

- Diapason

- Sonus Faber

(Chosing the right size for your room)

I do enjoy my Rega speakers but I am keen to try other brands too. I can see my list is going to be a long one.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
I do enjoy my Rega speakers but I am keen to try other brands too. I can see my list is going to be a long one.

I think that is wise.

My view on Rega Speakers is that they are "Safe" and "Pleasant" - so imo you are right to see what else is out there.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
jonathanRD said:

I think that is wise.

My view on Rega Speakers is that they are "Safe" and "Pleasant" - so imo you are right to see what else is out there.

First time around my home demo pitted the Rega RS3's against the Tannoy DC6T's (discounting KEF's at the dealers) - at the time I had all Rega electronics, but whilst I preferred the RS3's (more musical), it wasn't enough to spend £780 on them. The RS5's were an inplulse purchase due to the price (open box), actually the price was significantly less than the RS3 £780 price tag. So I got the RS5's by default and I always knew that once I choose the right amplifier, I would upgrade the speakers too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
First time around my home demo pitted the Rega RS3's against the Tannoy DC6T's (discounting KEF's at the dealers) - at the time I had all Rega electronics, but whilst I preferred the RS3's (more musical), it wasn't enough to spend £780 on them. The RS5's were an inplulse purchase due to the price (open box), actually the price was significantly less than the RS3 £780 price tag. So I got the RS5's by default and I always knew that once I choose the right amplifier, I would upgrade the speakers too.

Do you have any hunches on what you would like to hear?

My dealer has some SF Cremona Auditor Ms (with stands) that have been traded in....so you never what treasures you will stumble on.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I agree on cnoevils list as ones to try but I would say I think the rs5/7 is more on the ilk of some of the ones I listed like the spendors and pmcs (ie it’s objective for the same ilk of good bass, but good bass balance), which with really good models in these speakers, will do what the rs5 do and some.

I haven’t heard much or harbeth or the spendor classic range, but if the other ones listed are like these, my impression is bass tends not to be as marked as a pmc, spendor, pro ac etc, which tend to be tuned for rock and lots of styles like electronic dance music etc. Correct me if I’m wrong, but my impression of harbeth and spendor is it’s for mainly classical musical lovers where you get really good transparent and real music reproduction, but not necessarily some of these other usual benefits we get of hi Fi people are we are more used to hearing eg the dynamics and punch for rock music. At Bristol harbeth were demoing harbeth on spoken voices, which was odd for me. I’m sure there is probably one in the range that does what pmc’s etc do, but I get the impression it’s not the same sort of thing consistently through their range. I think the spendor classic range look to be a similar concept. I suppose only asking spendor what this range is about, one gets an idea of what they are trying to achieve.

i had the tannoy dc6t se’s and I’d agree the rega rs range is more musical.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Harbeth and Spendor Classic excel in having a natural midrange and are particularly good for Classical, Acoustic and Female Vocals - they work where someone finds modern systems a bit bright and forward....they are not for Hard Rock and Drum n' Bass....so yes, you are not far away in your judgement. They could well appeal to someone who enjoys Rega Speakers.

The other Spendors are more modern sounding, as are the current SF.

Diapason is an interesting, left field suggestion....which may be hard to find.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
jonathanRD said:

Do you have any hunches on what you would like to hear?

My dealer has some SF Cremona Auditor Ms (with stands) that have been traded in....so you never what treasures you will stumble on.

I enjoy the scale and bass floorstanders can give, but I am curious whether I might enjoy some really good bookshelves - a larger pair such as the Harbeths for example. I listen to a lot of female voices, so how would they sound on a really good pair of bookshelf speakers. In reality it will be the availablity of speakers to home demo, how far I can stretch a dealers patience, and whether I get enough time to travel further afield to other dealers.

Edit - just seen post 47 re Harbeth & Spendor Classic mid-range for acoustic and female voices - that's worth investigating. *good*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lads if your concerend about bass humps in the room I honestly dont think buying speakers with rolled off bass is the answer.

You will still have the bass hump it may be less prominent but so will all the rest of the range - dont want that.

Its backwards thinking - buy the speakers that will allow for enough bass to the deepest freq then manange the bass - that will give better overall results everytime imo

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
lads if your concerend about bass humps in the room I honestly dont think buying speakers with rolled off bass is the answer.

You will still have the bass hump it may be less prominent but so will all the rest of the range - dont want that.

Its backwards thinking - buy the speakers that will allow for enough bass to the deepest freq then manange the bass - that will give better overall results everytime imo

I'm more worried about the quality of Midrange....and if you like the way Harbeth sounds, then you get some Harbeths.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts