'In Today's Money!'

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I have a Cyrus and Dynaudio system, components of which are between 10 and 15 years old.
Each item (at the time) cost £700-800:

Cyrus CD6SE2 £700
Cyrus 8vs Amp £800
Dynaudio Excite X12 £700

I've since added various items (PSX-R, X Power amp & Cambridge Dacmagic 100).

With lockdown time on my hands I've been contemplating upgrades and chiefly how much it would cost in 2021, for a system that would better my current one.
Given that Cyrus's cheapest CD player is now almost £1200, what am I looking at, and where should I go - if anywhere?

I've also been looking at individual upgrades, other DACs and speaker upgrades (Evoke 20's) , but would this outlay be worthwhile with my old system?

I gladly welcome any input from my more learned colleagues! ;-)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I know everyone says this but it's true, where is your own system letting you down? What do you want to improve.

My friend recently sold a mission cyrus, the original one because he was modernizing. That 25 watt 20 odd year old amp sounded fantastic. I don't think comparing price for old price is a good way to upgrade

Unless there is something sorely missing from your current system then I would keep it.
Perhaps the DAC could be upgraded to the new version but no point in replacing the GDP unless it is failing and then I would replace it with the Audiolab CDT6000 transport rather than another Cyrus CDP especially if you upgrade that DAC

Reactions: Si O' the Times

Gray

I agree, don't place too much importance on prices then and now.
(At any time there will always be bargains and overpriced stuff).

My own Cyrus 8 of course, is older than your 8vs.
But I know that in an attempt to upgrade it, I could do a lot worse.
I certainly wouldn't want to lose the best aspects of it - and I'm sure you know what they are.

Mind how you go, the grass isn't always greener.

Last edited:

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your advice Gents (I assume!).

You know what it's like when you have the internet and time on your hands (no, not that! :ROFLMAO:).

I really love my system and the 8vs has real emotional pull too, as it was bought with some money that a relative left me when she died. At that point I never thought I'd be able to afford a Cyrus.

It's difficult when you read a lot about HiFi, but have no way of knowing whether it sounds better than what you already have.

I started thinking about CD player replacements a couple of days ago, when a disc started skipping (it's totally fine again now after much testing).
I'm on my second Cyrus CD player and the standard £300 repair fee had me looking at similarly-sized replacements (LEAK CDT & Pro-Ject CD Box DS2T). If it does start playing up again, I'll try out the audiolab too (though that will mean a new rack!).
I'd already identified the little Dacmagic 100 as a possible weak link and I've read quite a bit about the new 200M - it's currently top of my (Big Boy's Pocket Money - as my wife call's it!) shopping list.
I would hope that would improve on the internal DAC in my old CD6 SE2 as well.

Thanks again for your help - it's nice to be able to ramble about HiFi nonsense! :)

Reactions: Al ears and Gray
I reckon Hifi prices have roughly doubled in that period. Obviously there are exceptions, but you’d probably need about four grand to get similar, brand new, today.
I kept my previous amp, cd and speakers over twenty years, and found out three years ago what it would cost to replace! That’s why I bought some items secondhand or ex-dem.

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I reckon Hifi prices have roughly doubled in that period. Obviously there are exceptions, but you’d probably need about four grand to get similar, brand new, today.
I kept my previous amp, cd and speakers over twenty years, and found out three years ago what it would cost to replace! That’s why I bought some items secondhand or ex-dem.
Thanks for that - I've a feeling my kit might see me out then! Cyrus prices appear to have doubled definitely, thank goodness for Ebay, eh? :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts