Improving my system now...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
BenLaw said:
As an absolute priority, bring the sofa forward so your listening position is not against the rear wall.

Does it change a lot?

Thanks

Just take a chair. Put it 1m in front of the sofa. Sit down and listen. It might make a lot of difference to the bass.

So if changing the position of your sofa is not an option, get a comfy listening chair, that you can move easily when necessary.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
acalex said:
BenLaw said:
As an absolute priority, bring the sofa forward so your listening position is not against the rear wall.

Does it change a lot?

Thanks

Just take a chair. Put it 1m in front of the sofa. Sit down and listen. It might make a lot of difference to the bass.

So if changing the position of your sofa is not an option, get a comfy listening chair, that you can move easily when necessary.

Totally agree with this.

Bass does reflects off the back wall....which is one of the areas that often gets acoustic treatment.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Cool, thanks a lot guys. Sofa cannot change place, my gf will just try to kill me if I propose that! :shame:

She lets me do whatever I went in terms of stuff to bring in...but there are boundaries :read:

When I will get my new house I will make sure to have a room which is perfectly adapted to a listening room...but getting a comfortable chair for listening that's very possible and easy to do actually

iceman16

Bass traps behind the speakers wall or corners should help if you hear bass boom. Overdamped room is not very good either IMO. If you can move your sofa or chair a bit further from the back wall,this should reduce bass boom aswell.

Regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
...but getting a comfortable chair for listening that's very possible and easy to do actually....

.....if it has wheels, it will make it easier for her to push you into the hallway! :shifty:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Just an update...rack is finally in and everything is placed...need still to tide things up with cables at the back but the amazing rack is in place and all components are steaidly sitting on it.

It might sound impossible to most of you and it might well be imagination, but after installing it yesterday the vynils sound still improved especially in the bass department. 4 people just heard that straight away...

Cables are almost sorted out (waiting for Vertere to come before making my decision) but the Siltech are an amazing alternative. Every time I connect a siltech anywhere in the system the sounds improve somewhere and somehow. My dealer told me Siltech is the only brand which he will always swap for a most expensive model in case of an upgrade...

Now last but not least there are

- electricity as all units are plugged in a 15 euro power strip bought in the supermarket months ago.

- Acoustic: we will test my room with the software Francis bought and place diffusors/absorbers strategically

- Vibrations: still waiting for the BR to arrive and in the meantime I will try with Symposium products

I am off for my Xmas flight...so can't enjoy the system for a week :wall:

But on the other hand I will go and see my family to beautiful south of Italy...lot of food and wine waiting!

Wish you all a super Xmas!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Alex,

So glad you're almost there and enjoying your set up so much.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us... not to mention Roby's too! it really has been amazing and a very merry Christmas to you.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Alex,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us... not to mention Roby's too! it really has been amazing and a very merry Christmas to you.

Mac

Couldn't put it better.

The story will continue after the Christmas break!

Happy Christmas

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Hi Alex,

Mac

Couldn't put it better.

The story will continue after the Christmas break!

Happy Christmas

Cno

I look forward to it.

A very merry Christmas to you too Cno and thank you for your valuable, informed input into this forum, without wich, it would be a darn sight less interesting.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
I look forward to it.

A very merry Christmas to you too Cno and thank you for your valuable, informed input into this forum, without wich, it would be a darn sight less interesting.

Mac

Thank you....and I could say the same.

Now we've got that out of the way, what can we argue about? :shifty:

Happy Christmas

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
I look forward to it.

Mac

Happy Christmas

Cno

digital v CD? LOL!

A special thank you too to Electro for putting me on to the EMC1UP this yearand finally in the words of the best ever seasonal tune to all forum members;

"I wish you a hopeful Christmas and I wish you a brave new year!"

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here is a review of Siltech SPX 800 mains cable, where the reviewer also owned Cardas Golden Refs (which were half the price and came closest to matching it): http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=406:siltech-ruby-hill-ii-and-spx-800-power-cords-octopus-signature-eight-power-distributor

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Here is a review of Siltech SPX 800 mains cable, where the reviewer also owned Cardas Golden Refs (which were half the price and came closest to matching it): http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=406:siltech-ruby-hill-ii-and-spx-800-power-cords-octopus-signature-eight-power-distributor

Cno,

I've seen some Siltech power cables at a reasonable price the SPX20- any experience or knowledge of these?

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:

Cno,

I've seen some Siltech power cables at a reasonable price the SPX20- any experience or knowledge of these?

Mac

Sorry Mac, can't help......though given Siltech's reputation, I'd expect them to be good.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
I look forward to it.

Mac

Happy Christmas

Cno

digital v CD? LOL!

A special thank you too to Electro for putting me on to the EMC1UP this yearand finally in the words of the best ever seasonal tune to all forum members;

"I wish you a hopeful Christmas and I wish you a brave new year!"

Mac

My pleasure :)

If I win the Christmas lottery I will give an Electrocompaniet EMC1UP to all the regular forum members so that you can all enjoy your music as much as Mac and I do :grin: ;) .

Happy Christmas and new year to all :cheer:

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

thanhs this is actualy helpfull

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Roby said:
CnoEvil said:

thanhs this is actualy helpfull

But this makes the game even more expensive if I have t beleave that the spx 800 is suposed to be connected to gear delivering max 200W....

AMS need officialy 300 something an is mesured at more than 400W.....

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
During our listening session with ROb yesterday we were wondering if there is a way to understand where the bass booming might come from, if floor or indeed acoustic of the room. The problem is much less evident using the digital source, but is more evident using the turntable especially with some specific recordings. Siltech cabling improved a lot but still every now and then I hear that.

Now my speakers have a thick layer of marble built in the stand which I guess would be enough to separate the speakers from the floor. Indeed when I touch the marble I can feel a lot of vibrations, whilst when I touch the floor just in front of speaker the vibrations are almost zero. Does this mean the problem is limited to the acoustic?

When sitting in my listening position I also feel almost not vibrations coming from the floor...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
During our listening session with ROb yesterday we were wondering if there is a way to understand where the bass booming might come from, if floor or indeed acoustic of the room. The problem is much less evident using the digital source, but is more evident using the turntable especially with some specific recordings. Siltech cabling improved a lot but still every now and then I hear that.

Now my speakers have a thick layer of marble built in the stand which I guess would be enough to separate the speakers from the floor. Indeed when I touch the marble I can feel a lot of vibrations, whilst when I touch the floor just in front of speaker the vibrations are almost zero. Does this mean the problem is limited to the acoustic?

When sitting in my listening position I also feel almost not vibrations coming from the floor...

IMO. Wooden floors are lethal, and TTs are problematical.....and the floor can effect the TT as well as the bass.....it's a vicious circle.

The first thing to do is negate the effect of the floor as much as possible......which the Gramma / Granite platform trimmed with wood should help with. As I mentioned earlier, Track Audio make very effective, elegant and very expensive isolation solutions: http://www.trackaudio.co.uk/

The other company that makes effective isolation is Townsend Audio: http://www.townshendaudio.com/ (Products -> Vibration Isolation)

Once the speakers are sorted, then its the turn of the TT (pun intended!).

There is a guy I know whose system was in the loft space of the house, and the only thing that sorted the ingrained bass boom were the Track Audio Stands.

Do you have the same track on CD and Vinyl, where the Vinyl has boom and the CD doesn't............remember, the TT being better than the CDP, may be generating more bass anyway, but this is likely to be the smallest contributing factor.

EDIT. One last thought, make sure the screws holding in the drivers to the cabinet haven't come loose.....be careful and don't over-tighten

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

IMO. Wooden floors are lethal, and TTs are problematical.....and the floor can effect the TT as well as the bass.....it's a vicious circle.

The first thing to do is negate the effect of the floor as much as possible......which the Gramma / Granite platform trimmed with wood should help with. As I mentioned earlier, Track Audio make very effective, elegant and very expensive isolation solutions: http://www.trackaudio.co.uk/

The other company that makes effective isolation is Townsend Audio: http://www.townshendaudio.com/ (Products -> Vibration Isolation)

Once the speakers are sorted, then its the turn of the TT (pun intended!). There is a guy I know whose system was in the loft space of the house, and the only thing that sorted it was the Track Audio Stands.

Do you have the same track on CD and Vinyl, where the Vinyl has boom and the CD doesn't............remember, the TT being better than the CDP, may be generating more bass anyway, but this is likely to be the smallest contributing factor.

The TT now sits on top of a very well built FInite Element rack were each floor is decoupled from the rest. I also added some high-end ceramic feet which help decoupling the all rack even better. Next week I will try to move the speakers much further to see if speaker waves are in any way responsible of interfering with the TT...but don't think so.

With Guarneri memento I cannot use any stands nor isolations spikes as the marble is part of the stand already. I could use only isolation platform. But again I would wonder if adding another layer would help anyhow as already the marble is quite thick.

Francis has in stock some symposium platforms (http://www.symposiumusa.com/ultra.html) which I could try. But those, as you can imagine, are quite expensive. I might try them just to make sure the problem is coming from there or not...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts