Improving my system now...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
During our listening session with ROb yesterday we were wondering if there is a way to understand where the bass booming might come from, if floor or indeed acoustic of the room. The problem is much less evident using the digital source, but is more evident using the turntable especially with some specific recordings. Siltech cabling improved a lot but still every now and then I hear that.

Now my speakers have a thick layer of marble built in the stand which I guess would be enough to separate the speakers from the floor. Indeed when I touch the marble I can feel a lot of vibrations, whilst when I touch the floor just in front of speaker the vibrations are almost zero. Does this mean the problem is limited to the acoustic?

When sitting in my listening position I also feel almost not vibrations coming from the floor...

Hi Alex,

Is your listeninig seat more into the room now? Or are you sitting on the sofa, back to the wall?

Erik

PS: Felice anno nuovo! :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
The TT now sits on top of a very well built FInite Element rack were each floor is decoupled from the rest. I also added some high-end ceramic feet which help decoupling the all rack even better. Next week I will try to move the speakers much further to see if speaker waves are in any way responsible of interfering with the TT...but don't think so.

With Guarneri memento I cannot use any stands nor isolations spikes as the marble is part of the stand already. I could use only isolation platform. But again I would wonder if adding another layer would help anyhow as already the marble is quite thick.

Francis has in stock some symposium platforms (http://www.symposiumusa.com/ultra.html) which I could try. But those, as you can imagine, are quite expensive. I might try them just to make sure the problem is coming from there or not...

Firstly, I would see the effect that Rob's efforts have for him, which might shed some light.

Secondly, if you can get hold of BR, check the effect it has in various places.....you might also try and get something like a thin sorbothane sheet, to go between the marble and the floor.

The third option is acoustic treatment, which doesn't make sense in a temporary house, unless with plants, rugs and moving listening position etc

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
acalex said:
During our listening session with ROb yesterday we were wondering if there is a way to understand where the bass booming might come from, if floor or indeed acoustic of the room. The problem is much less evident using the digital source, but is more evident using the turntable especially with some specific recordings. Siltech cabling improved a lot but still every now and then I hear that.

Now my speakers have a thick layer of marble built in the stand which I guess would be enough to separate the speakers from the floor. Indeed when I touch the marble I can feel a lot of vibrations, whilst when I touch the floor just in front of speaker the vibrations are almost zero. Does this mean the problem is limited to the acoustic?

When sitting in my listening position I also feel almost not vibrations coming from the floor...

Hi Alex,

Is your listeninig seat more into the room now? Or are you sitting on the sofa, back to the wall?

Erik

PS: Felice anno nuovo! :cheers:

Erik, I still have the sofa on the wall (nothing can be done at this regard) but I pull now a chair whenever I am listening. I have also added a carpet in front of the system and got rid of the glass table which will be replaced with a wooden one.

Felice anno nuovo anche a te! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts