Improvement on M20i Pearl Edition speakers?

functious

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
My knowledge of audiophile stuff is very basic, so please bear with me!

I'm currently using some Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition speakers that my audiophile friend recommended to me some years ago, along with an MS309W subwoofer. I have enjoyed these speakers, and I realise that they are well regarded but am currently considering upgrading them. What kind of money would I have to spend to have a clear and significant upgrade? And where would you consider the value in the second-hand market to lay, or new speakers that have received discounts?

I would be using them on a desk in a fairly small room and I listen to a wide range of musical genres.

functious

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
What is your amplifier and source?
To be frank it's not worth spending a lot of money on speakers that were not designed to be used in a desk.
if you like the Pearls then keep them would be my suggestion.

I use them as speakers for my PC. I'm currently using an old Phillips FA660 after using a couple of used Marantz amps that crapped out on me. If I were upgrading my speakers then I would be looking to upgrade my amp as well, but I thought I'd cross that bridge if I come to it and upgrade my speakers first.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I believe he did.

I had a pair as well as the smaller MS10i's.

I eventually gave the Pearl's to friends with a Denon amplifier. The couple wanted some music. When I visited again a few weeks later all was gone. They didn't like the looks :). Apparently they 'gave' it away but me thinks someone probably picked them up from a tip.

The speaker and drivers are based on a Marshall (Epos) design made at lower cost. The mid/bass unit had a rigid polymer chassis moulded into the front baffle. The X-over is minimalist with only a resistor to the tweeter if I remember correctly. Everything was custom designed for the speaker, not bad considering the budget prices they sold for. The cabinet was where most of the savings came from. Not very thick, Vinyl covered and a little resonant.

Good speakers. Imho MS never really surpassed these at the budget end.

Last edited:
Agreed about desk use. IIRC didn't @chebby have a pair of these years ago? They are very good (so I'm told) although how they'll stack up to a small modern monitor is another question.
just sold on my brothers pair as he preferred the Wharfedale Diamond 9 he also owns. They don't make much money these days and it's hard to find them in really good condition.

Reactions: functious
D

Deleted member 116933

I use them as speakers for my PC. I'm currently using an old Phillips FA660 after using a couple of used Marantz amps that crapped out on me. If I were upgrading my speakers then I would be looking to upgrade my amp as well, but I thought I'd cross that bridge if I come to it and upgrade my speakers first.

change the amp first and buy some isolation for the speakers it would be money well spent i think.

functious

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
change the amp first and buy some isolation for the speakers it would be money well spent i think.

I currently have some gel isolation feet on the bottom of the speakers. Is there any kind of isolation that you could recommend, specifically?

What kind of amps should I be looking at if I want something that won't break the bank or risk buying used stuff in questionable condition?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

I currently have some gel isolation feet on the bottom of the speakers. Is there any kind of isolation that you could recommend, specifically?

What kind of amps should I be looking at if I want something that won't break the bank or risk buying used stuff in questionable condition?

Well there are all sorts, you could buy desktop stands and there is foam isolation but if you already have little rubber feet that will also do the trick. The foam would probably do a better job though.

Amps for mordant short, I know they can be very upfront so i wouldn't add to that it would be too much of a good thing. I think i'd try Yamaha and/or marantz maybe denon all have products to suit every pocket.

If you want to lean into the exciting sound of the mordant shorts id look at NAD, a 320bee would be a good second choice or a new NAD i think a nad 316bee v2

Though rotel might also be a good choice. But i really depends on what functionality you are after if you want DACs and such.

If that's the case Id hunt down a second hand AVR from Arcam like this (below link). Costs almost the same as the option above but there are cheaper options from the likes of pioneer and so on.

Reactions: functious

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts