Improve system how?

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

let's see if you can help me improving my hours of listenning to music,as I am quite noob really in the hifi world.

My source of music is Spootify premiun, I have a sony str-dn1040 driving MA Bronze BX 5.0, bought the arcam fmj a19 and system improved generally as all sounds are under control now, I have my ipad connected straight away to the arcam. I listened the ls50(too soft the bass)B&W 685 S2(didn't notice really anu diference from bx2)concept 20(sound was more emotive but more harsh than bx2)this demo was through spootify(ipad)connected to IRDAC-arcam 19.

I'm thinking that maybe the reason is the source. So, I am starting to think about cd-turntable??flac,lossless??where to get them?I mainly listen to electronic music, indie,rock-pop.Up tempo manly.

thanks for tour time.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

As a Spotify user, I find the 'Connect' service gives a better sound than 'regular' Spotify on the iPad. No idea why but appears that way to me.

The Amazon Fire TV is an inexpensive streamer that supports Spotify Connect and allows your iPad to function purely as a remote, from the Spotify app. The audio output is optical, so you will need a dac if you are going to use the A19.

It would be helpfull if you gave some idea of what you think needs improving on your setup and also some more detailed information of how everything is set up / connected.

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I currently own a apple tv, MA Bx2, cambridge cables, arcam fmja19.

Source: spootify premium.

my thoughts:

arcam fmj a19. £650 pounds, MA bX2 £250, ipad Dac, mp3 320kbts from spootify...I am doing a bottle neck to the arcam potencial?considering that is 3 times expensier than the spekear set?

my findings:

Tried B&W 685 v2 and Ls50. Ony found a better transparency(what I wAs trying to find) but, with a massive lack of bass in the ls50, it is like if they only go half the way in frecuencies compared to others, the b&w...I could not apreciate Any difference from the bx2, I am sure there is but, It was nothing obious to make me thing to buy them.

I am looking for a well controlled bass but, emotive kind off the diference I felt from changing from the AV to the stereo.

So...flooratanders?I have a decent High living room,Dac?(the demo was driven by the irdac), chAnge to cd quality?turntable?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
donGarcia said:
Hi

I currently own a apple tv, MA Bx2, cambridge cables, arcam fmja19.

Source: spootify premium.

my thoughts:

arcam fmj a19. £650 pounds, MA bX2 £250, ipad Dac, mp3 320kbts from spootify...I am doing a bottle neck to the arcam potencial?considering that is 3 times expensier than the spekear set?

my findings:

Tried B&W 685 v2 and Ls50. Ony found a better transparency(what I wAs trying to find) but, with a massive lack of bass in the ls50, it is like if they only go half the way in frecuencies compared to others, the b&w...I could not apreciate Any difference from the bx2, I am sure there is but, It was nothing obious to make me thing to buy them.

I am looking for a well controlled bass but, emotive kind off the diference I felt from changing from the AV to the stereo.

So...flooratanders?I have a decent High living room,Dac?(the demo was driven by the irdac), chAnge to cd quality?turntable?

How are you getting the signal from the iPad to the A19?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
In that case I think the biggest improvements would come from incorporating a decent DAC into the chain and upgrading your speakers.

The irDAC can take a digital signal from an Apple iDevice. Did you find any improvement there?

A speaker upgrade should give the biggest benefit. I think the 685s2 are better than the BX2, but if you didn't think the difference worthwhile I think that amp can handle better speakers. eg. Monitor Audio's Silver range. As the amp isn't so high powered I'd be cautious about trying to get high volumes out of speakers with low sensitivity/small drivers and also with larger floorstanders that might pose problems in terms of the resistance (ohms. Even though a speaker might have a nominal resistance of 8 ohms, it could drop to levels that trouble the amplifier at certain frequencies, especially when trying to get decent volume out of the speakers).

Personally I'd be interested in checking out that amp with Kef's R300 or R500 if you have the space.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Imo - the BX2's are a good match for the arcam - you could try a pair of BX5's for comparison sake. But @ 50wpc you should be getting good results.

Your source connection could be the issue.

Has highlighted in a previous thread the a19 has a low input sensitivity - not sure what the output sensitivity of the Apple tv is - but if it has digital out a dac could Well be the answer.

If possible try a CD player with your amp/speaker combo to compare.

Out of curiosity what av amp were you using?

And how did you have it connected. Did you for example try any of the digital inputs, HDMI, coax or optical or did you use your current mini jack to phono lead?.

If you still have the av amp you could try these options to see if there is any improvement.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Listened to the r500's
Yesterday connected to an Arcam receiver - described by the assistant as musical to my ears they were not.

Not sure what was at fault but the speakers did not impress with the sound they produced. Nice to look at though.

ID. said:
In that case I think the biggest improvements would come from incorporating a decent DAC into the chain and upgrading your speakers.

The irDAC can take a digital signal from an Apple iDevice. Did you find any improvement there??

A speaker upgrade should give the biggest benefit. I think the 685s2 are better than the BX2, but if you didn't think the difference worthwhile I think that amp can handle better speakers. eg. Monitor Audio's Silver range. As the amp isn't so high powered I'd be cautious about trying to get high volumes out of speakers with low sensitivity/small drivers and also with larger floorstanders that might pose problems in terms of the resistance (ohms. Even though a speaker might have a nominal resistance of 8 ohms, it could drop to levels that trouble the amplifier at certain frequencies, especially when trying to get decent volume out of the speakers).

Personally I'd be interested in checking out that amp with Kef's R300 or R500 if you have the space.

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for all your answers, I tried in the store with the irdac but, not trough to the bx2 so I will try to demo them with it, to see if sound get better in any sense, I started to get a few files in lossless quality..Will try this days but, I do not expect a big difference.

I have sony srt-dn 1040, with the bx2 5.O set, the sound it produces it is actually right but with some songs, type lunar from david guetta the diference is quite obious, sally up from moby for example the diference is hardly noticiable between both the arcam and the sony, at the same time I must say, the sony should have a nice built in DAC while with the arcam I am using the Ipad DAC. I tried using the Zone 2, as it has not got any pre out but, I felt the sound get even worse for some reason, more harsh.

The bx5 could deserve a try as with the rest of the set would have a good sinergy and maybe I get a better bass or midrange for my hours of house music, the Rx6 where nice for this type of music a few years ago and I might be able to find them in ebay. cd reader?I could have a go but, will try that as last option due to the fact that I do not have any cd's as I always use itunes and spootify until I got to this point where, I actually spending money in audio equipment.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
From what I can see you appear to be trying, maybe even buying equipment pretty much at random. You really need to stop for a moment and work out what you are trying to achieve.

Using an iThing for a source requires either a 'proper' dock or an AEX/ATV. Since you have an ATV this is already sorted but as you know the ATV's only audio output is on Toslink optical.

For this you need a suitable dac, plenty of amps have them built in but you have one that does not, the A19. Is it new or can it be returned or exchanged? If so, change it for one with a built in dac, ideally with both Toslink and usb (iPad) connector.

If you are keeping the A19 you need a dac to work with your ATV. You can buy simple but effective 'fit and forget' devices for about £50, if you can get to a Richers in the uk they are selling off the Dacmagic 100 for £99, good value for a full function dac.

With that sorted you then simply have to keep trying speakers until you find one that suits you, their is no right answer here, (well there is, but I'm not going there) but from what you have said I would look at something more 'lively' than the usual Kef and B&Ws. It depends what is available to you, keep trying.

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
That is correct, completely random and that is way I am writting here!lol wich ao far has helped me to organise my ideas as you said, in a better way. I like my av receiver with its airplay and nice music but, I bought the arcam in ebay for £460 and I happy with it as the improvement has been noticiable. I spend all day listening to music so that is why I bought the stereo amp,

I will try first with a decent DAC, you said the dac magic and I will try to demo the irdac and the Audiolab m-dac, see if diference is notiacble, about the speakers regarding what kind of music I listen to, what would you recommend to try?

thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
donGarcia said:
That is correct, completely random and that is way I am writting here!lol wich ao far has helped me to organise my ideas as you said, in a better way. I like my av receiver with its airplay and nice music but, I bought the arcam in ebay for £460 and I happy with it as the improvement has been noticiable. I spend all day listening to music so that is why I bought the stereo amp,

I will try first with a decent DAC, you said the dac magic and I will try to demo the irdac and the Audiolab m-dac, see if diference is notiacble, about the speakers regarding what kind of music I listen to, what would you recommend to try?

thanks

You really don't need to spend that much (irDac, MDac) on a dac to use between the ATV and an integrated amp, something simple will be fine.

Just try any speakers that you can, you appear to know what you like, what I (or anyone else on here) like is irrelevant.

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok, you are probably right but, at tje same time you are telling that I shoulf expect an improvent by getting a £100 DAC over the Ipad own DAC but, there is not going to be a remarkable diference between a £100 DAC and The £600?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
donGarcia said:
Ok, you are probably right but, at tje same time you are telling that I shoulf expect an improvent by getting a £100 DAC over the Ipad own DAC but, there is not going to be a remarkable diference between a £100 DAC and The £600?

If you didn't like the LS50 so much because of its bass reproduction, I'd second the advise to look at the R series. As much as I liked the LS50, I chose my R100 because the LS50 didn't give the sort of full sound I was looking for.

Choosing an amp by features rather than sound is maybe not the best advise. If you are happy with the A19—and in my opinion it's the best amp for the money—, finding another amp that gives you a similar sound but that also has an integrated DAC may prove to be a headache.

I think that the M-DAC is only worth it if the volume control feature is useful to you, and if you like how it sounds. If you only need a DAC to connect it to the Apple TV, maybe the irDAC is overkill as some of its features such as superb USB port and noise isolation will not be necessary. Still, it's a DAC that will likely survive many system upgrades, and may be a good investment. You can also connect your iPad directly to it and play/pause and skip songs with its remote control—although with the Apple TV, you'd likely use AirPlay anyways.

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
The ls50's would be a fantastic set of speakers if you don't listen at all to music where bass is predominant, an acoustic live concerto from joaquin sabina for example sounded superb but, my daily music is mainly, house. So...just not the right ones for me. I will have a go with the R series even maybe the Q's if I can.

I do not really understand why you said the sound isolation would be an overkill, what does it matter if an ATv is between the main source to it?

I like the arcam cause it looks well made and you can listen for hours to it without felling tired as it is quite smooth, the bass is nicely under control but enough punchy for me but, I only tried the Rotel Ra-10 before and it sounded a bit bright to me at times, I got it for £460 as new and I think is a "reasonable price", maybe I didn't choose the right one for my taste but, I like so far what it can do and so far, that is the reason why I am writting here, to get the best of it without spending over a £1000.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
donGarcia said:
I do not really understand why you said the sound isolation would be an overkill, what does it matter if an ATv is between the main source to it?

The best connection for the irDAC is by USB because it is asynchronous and also prevents electronic noise being transmitted. Arcam put a lot of work into this connection. Unfortunately, if you use an ATV the only connection option will be optical. This isn't a problem, but the argument is that part of the cost of the irDAC has been directed to making the USB connection as good as possible. If you don't need the USB connection you could arguably get another DAC for less money that performs at a similar level using the optical input and not worrying about it having galvanic isolation and asynchronos USB.

TL;DR version - With the ATV you would be paying for features you wouldn't be using so could save yourself some money.

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I got your point now, thanks mate. I will go to RS with my own ATv get it conected throught both types and see if there is any diference in sounding, try the cambridge audio and maybe I they allow me an expensive one to see if the sounds changes at all. At the end I am getting use to have my ipad conected to the arcam by wiredly so, I sound gets nicier trough the usb, I won't mind about the airplay, or perhaps just use when I listen to random and not sitting and listening like an "audiophile", what I am starting to do more often. I don't know for good or for bad!!lol

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
teeth_smile.gif
I am at home without words, just tried cambridge audio and now arcam, both just change completely the way it sounds all my favorite music... It is like in stead of 2 speakers I had 4!!I had to turn the volume from 55-60 to 40 because it is punching so much!but, who cares???this is amazing!!I knowed something was wrong before...now my system it's worth every penny!!I am not sure yet if there is any diference between both DAC maybe the cambridge sounds a bit more metalic...but It could be that it has not run enought...thanks everyone for the help!!I am so happy!!

TRENDING THREADS