Immediate help Req. Amp in water

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I had a mishap last night. Water entered my room(that's a seperate story that how). And my onkyo tx-nr609 got immersed in it. Thanks god that it was of the power. Now what shall I do. Keep it out in sun or open it and dry it. Or what's the solution.
Guys please help it's urgent.

John Duncan

Do you have insurance? Because that's the best way of dealing with this; otherwise I'd take the top off and leave it to dry out for at least a week. Even then it may still not work, in which case, see first sentence.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I rescued a phone that had been inside a washing machine by putting it in a container full of rice and leaving it in the airing cupboard. Don't use a hair dryer as this can blow water into places it had not previously reached.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have had my laptop immersed in water as well as our car got immersed in water (along with the car stereo)

Most of the damage happens if you start with out drying out th water.

With laptop I used hair dryer and it got rescued. However the water droplets were there at some places so the motheboard died eventually in three months time (not immediately)

With the car stereo, unknowingly we started the car once the car was out of water but could not rescue the stereo as it got powered on automatically (we could have detached the stereo which was not so tough but did not think about it)

So, in your case, I would open the case and wipe all the water and then put the amp in baking oven at a minimum tempertaure (enough to keep the droplets of water to evaporate) and then in Sun.

There is a very good possibility that some damage is already done thought after all this the AVR working.

Insurance option is the best if you have one or speak to your dealer about anything else that needs to be done for future failures.

Paul.

Do you have an airing cupboard? Use that, with a lot of silica gel if you can find it. It's the residue left by slow drying that causes the damage, so it's best to keep it wet untill you can dry it properly.

I would be careful of ovens though, some have low heats but mine has a minimum of 100 degrees C!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
If possible remove top of unit turn upside down and place in warm airing cupboard or warm not hot oven leave for at least a week or two if water was clean you maybe lucky good luck

A

Anonymous

No I don't have airing cupboard. Nor I guess would be able to arrange that much silica here.

Immersed as in totally sunk in water. I'm at a farmhouse, it rained really hard last night and my room was flooded with rain water mixed with soil. The amplifier got completely dipped in water.
Now I have removed the lid and got it air blown. Further I have now kept it under sun (30 deg Celsius). The only apprehension that I have is that it might get rusted. Can it? Did I do the right thing?
If I ppen the lid and put rice in it wouldn't they enter everywhere and would be impossible to remove?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
umairlashari said:
Immersed as in totally sunk in water. I'm at a farmhouse, it rained really hard last night and my room was flooded with rain water mixed with soil. The amplifier got completely dipped in water.

Claim on your insurance (presumably along with everything else that got flood damaged).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry about the accident, I guess the amp is the least of your worries right now. To be honest I reckon it's a write-off. You've got to ask yourself will you feel safe using something which has been totally submerged in rainwater and mud, even if you succeed in drying it and it just happens to work.

There's never a time when insuring your possessions isn't a good idea, as you've just found out.

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
As said already, dry out for a week or more, if you have a fan (not heater) set it up to blow slowly into/accross the amp (with lid removed).

Once it's dry plug in power and turn on with nothing connected...

1. press power button to on (or better standby, then remote to on)

2. plug into wall socket and then turn on wall socket (this way you don't need to touch the amp and have your finger on the switch to turn straight back off if needed).

3. if it powers on and seems ok try plugging in some cheap/old speakers and use the radio to test for sound.

or take to an electrician to get checked out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts