John Duncan

Posted this in Wifi first but it's really about sound, so'll try it here (since nobody reads the wifi threads):

OK, just about to get a new iMac (for aesthetic and box-reduction purposes more than anything else, since OSX is the work of the devil). Anyhoo, my current kitchen music setup is PC into a Denon mini feeding a pair of Diamond 9.1s (yes my PC is in the kitchen), but these have to go for the same reasons. It says the iMac has "a 24w digital amplifier" - is it possible to use this to power external speakers, such as a Tangent Evo (everything has to be white)? Or is there no speaker output and I have to use an audio out to say, some Audioengine A2s?

Note that sound quality does not need to be fabulous, it just needs to be *there*. ATC actives out of the question, sadly.......

A

Anonymous

Looks like its just a headphone/optical out from what i can see on the site. I'd be tempted by an airport express going into the Audioengine speakers or maybe a sonic-t amp and then speakers so that you are missing out the mac's poweramp (and possibly pre amp aswell).

Also means less wires running about.

A

Anonymous

My friend bought one and thinks that it sounds better than his nad c352(?) amp. Another friend also now uses it insdead of an arcam he had! only down side is the lower power, but how loud do you need a kitchen system to be? i think it costs you less than £50 including importing from the states. Buy the cheaper plastic one and if you need a flash case you can easily transfer it to a box from e.g. maplin's and add in extra inputs, better binding posts etc for les than they charge you for their flash metal case!

A

Anonymous

Apple have just updated the airport express to 11n standard.

This would be your best bet, and would mean your iMac din't have to live in the kitchen. You can then couple up the audio out port on the express to whatever amp you want. BTW, you can encode music in within itunes at higher bit rate formats (AAC - 256kbps) which might help the quality.

Hope this helps
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Would try either audioengine speakers, avi adm9 or headphones (like I do). Speakers are all available in white.

John Duncan

AVIs not going to happen and headphones not the point for the kitchen system, but Audioengines might do the job.

Of course, my wife is now baulking at the iMac purchase, so that might not happen either (sigh).

John Duncan

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Of course, my wife is now baulking at the iMac purchase, so that might not
happen either (sigh).[/quote]

As you were - she's booked me in for an hour of conversion training at the Genius Bar tomorrow.......

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]Stay away from the dark side. Get a Vaio. Some nice stylee small box solutions there..[/quote]
emotion-7.gif
The dark side ????? Please explain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts