Im Confused By All This......Someone Please Explain

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
How do you stream music from your PC or NAS??

How would this work with a Naim Uniti System and what else do you need?

A

Anonymous

- Connect a NAS and a Naim Uniti to your networks router using wifi or ethernet - job done!

The Uniti should now be able to browse the contents of the NAS without any extra hardware, and play any format the Uniti supports using dlna.

- Should u wish ur pc to manage your medialibrary you can use WMP,winamp etc as your player and push the music output to the Uniti (or any other dlna device in ur house)

- You can use a similar technique to output the sound from Spotify on your pc to the Uniti as well.

- Plus an Android phone has apps you can use to make the phone act as a remote control for the above.

(Apple lets u do a similar thing to all this for Apple formats - but u have to buy extra hardware in the form of an Airport Express).

John Duncan

Jason

The piece missing from the helpful advice above is that for best results a NAS should be running a media server like Twonky. Many NASes have this or something similar installed already, though it's usually possible to install after the fact. Do make sure though that your NAS is a 'proper' one actually running an operating system though, rather than do what I did and buy a 'newtwork drive' which is that and only that.

I'd also recommend the (admittedly outrageously priced) n-Stream iPhone app for the Uniti, which allows you to remote control all of its functions, including negotiating the music library, and makes the Uniti much more user-friendly.

Lastly, if you're starting from scratch I'd recommend ripping to FLAC since you don't have to worry about finding a media server that will transcode on the fly.

Further long-term musings on the Uniti here.

cheers

JD

TRENDING THREADS