iFi Zen Phono

camcroft

Hi. I have just bought one of these fantastic Phono stages this site gave it a 4 star rating but on the AV Forums site it got a glowing 5 star review which has had numerous members there going out and buying one myself included. I have had the Schiit Mani for quite a long time and had been happy with its performance until I read the AV Forums review and curiosity got the best of me and after reading a few of the other comments left by other users I decided to hit the buy button and buy one needless to say I love it and it will surely be Adios to the Mani very shortly.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

Gray

I thought being from ifi it was likely to be good.

I see you've got a Magni headphone amp. Would I be right to assume you bought it from Schiit UK (Electromod)?......sorry for straying off the subject.

Last edited:

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I have just bought one of these fantastic Phono stages this site gave it a 4 star rating but on the AV Forums site it got a glowing 5 star review which has had numerous members there going out and buying one myself included. I have had the Schiit Mani for quite a long time and had been happy with its performance until I read the AV Forums review and curiosity got the best of me and after reading a few of the other comments left by other users I decided to hit the buy button and buy one needless to say I love it and it will surely be Adios to the Mani very shortly.
Have you compared it against the Rega Fono mm. Was wondering if it's worth an upgrade.

Have you compared it against the Rega Fono mm. Was wondering if it's worth an upgrade.
Good point. The iFi Zen would make sense if you ever envisiaged using a MC cartridge, if you do not then probably not.
Having said that, in my opinion, the MM section of the Zen is as good as the Rega so might be an idea to audition both and possibly save yourself £50........

Reactions: camcroft

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Good point. The iFi Zen would make sense if you ever envisiaged using a MC cartridge, if you do not then probably not.
Having said that, in my opinion, the MM section of the Zen is as good as the Rega so might be an idea to audition both and possibly save yourself £50........
I've already got the Rega Al and I don't ever see me using an MC cartridge. Was wondering if it would be better, probably more of a sideways step.

Reactions: Al ears

erbasically

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone compared the iFi Zen Phono with the Art DJ Pre II? I have the Art DJ and am wondering whether it would be worth upgrading but want to keep the budget under £200 if possible.

erbasically

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Just to point out the Zen phono is a MM/MC preamp and you don't need the MC side of it.
True, though that raises the question of whether there's an MM-only phono stage that does a better job in that price range. The main issue with the E3 is that its output is 3.5mV and to my ears it's quieter than other cartridges I've tried, so maybe a preamp with a bit more gain would help.

Reactions: Al ears
True, though that raises the question of whether there's an MM-only phono stage that does a better job in that price range. The main issue with the E3 is that its output is 3.5mV and to my ears it's quieter than other cartridges I've tried, so maybe a preamp with a bit more gain would help.
You could be right, most MMs are between 4 and 5 mV so the Zen may well be worth trying

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts