iFi iPurifier 2

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you like what this does i can recommend an outstanding product.

Mutec MC3+ in either normal or usb variety.

These are bought from the UK distributor Affinity audio Terry Finn

They are designed for studios basically pro audio gear so don't look pretty like hifi gear.

But the sound wow it's a re clocker and also usb to spdif or bnc converter and also a word clock.

Even people using very high quality dacs with really well implemented async usb inputs are reporting improvements from this unit. For the rest it's a no brainer.

It's especially good if you are using a pc as a source because even with the attention to every detail jitter is still high as I have found out.

There are some technical reviews showing just how much jitter is reduced.

Remember you heard it here first

abacus

In high quality equipment that is correctly designed, this type of unit is inbuilt, therefore adding one externally will give minimal improvement, (As all the reviews point out) and probably not worth the cost, however a lot of Hi Fi equipment is overpriced, overhyped and not of very good design, (The manufactures rely on techno babble to get the gullible to open their wallets) so there may be an improvement in these circumstance. (Where possible I always avoid Hi Fi badged equipment and stick to pro equipment, which in most cases is of much better design and significantly cheaper)

The new MQA format takes this to a new level, as it can compensate not just for the playback equipment, but also remove the errors that occur in the production chain, so I would hang on until this becomes more the norm and then upgrade your equipment, as it will be more cost effective then adding an external unit now.

Bill

K

keeper of the quays

lpv said:
will prevent mirrors to fog and dinners to taste good. a must have
will it make me more attractive to women? And do you think it can make me seem more intelligent?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

DomCheetham said:
I have orderd a iFi iPurifier 2 and am quite excited, hope its good.

*dance4*

standardwhiteplastic_350_350_s_c1.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

ellisdj said:
If you like what this does i can recommend an outstanding product.

Mutec MC3+ in either normal or usb variety.

These are bought from the UK distributor Affinity audio Terry Finn

They are designed for studios basically pro audio gear so don't look pretty like hifi gear.

But the sound wow it's a re clocker and also usb to spdif or bnc converter and also a word clock.

Even people using very high quality dacs with really well implemented async usb inputs are reporting improvements from this unit. For the rest it's a no brainer.

It's especially good if you are using a pc as a source because even with the attention to every detail jitter is still high as I have found out.

There are some technical reviews showing just how much jitter is reduced.

Remember you heard it here first

I already knew about you, but hey, you can have a picture too.

standardwhiteplastic_350_350_s_c1.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

keeper of the quays said:
will it make me more attractive to women? And do you think it can make me seem more intelligent?

You're just being stupid now, even Russ Andrews couldn't do that, and he can sell sand to a Saharan. *wink*

Dom

The Mutec MC3+ is twice the cost of my DAC. I'm sure the law of diminshing returns apply.

Thanks Spiny Norman it does sound ifi. Hopefully in a good way.

Thanks for the replys.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
abacus said:
In high quality equipment that is correctly designed, this type of unit is inbuilt, therefore adding one externally will give minimal improvement, (As all the reviews point out) and probably not worth the cost, however a lot of Hi Fi equipment is overpriced, overhyped and not of very good design, (The manufactures rely on techno babble to get the gullible to open their wallets) so there may be an improvement in these circumstance. (Where possible I always avoid Hi Fi badged equipment and stick to pro equipment, which in most cases is of much better design and significantly cheaper)

The new MQA format takes this to a new level, as it can compensate not just for the playback equipment, but also remove the errors that occur in the production chain, so I would hang on until this becomes more the norm and then upgrade your equipment, as it will be more cost effective then adding an external unit now.

Bill

Agree with MQA and it was one of the reasons I have not bought another DAC yet (I use a Dragonfly 1.2 but was looking at the new baby Chord, however there seem to be some issues in the context of a stationary set up). Meridians own USB DAC's are, at present, I think the cheapest way to aquire the facility.

I am glad that you said 'in most' cases 'pro' equipment is 'better designed and significantly cheaper'.

I think you have to quantify what price range you are talking about and depending on that you may want to change 'most' to 'some'.

Cheaper 'Pro' equipment, say up to a few hundred quid, especially when it comes to active speakers and amplifiers are probably as much removed from 'Pro' as you can get. Cheap chinese made boxes with often noisy electronics of questionable reliability. - No 'Pro' on the planet would use such stuff though they're probably good enough for your average weekend bedroom DJ. - Add to that design touches that often make a 5 quid Tesco toaster look like a work of art ... you get it.

Pointless to generalise, either way. Some cheap hifi may be compromised but sure as hell so are some cheap 'Pro' products. When I tried some cheap actives it started to sound good with ADAM's at about £600/pair and yet they still look like something from the industrial revolution. Below that everything I heard was ... dire imho (and just as ugly).

Still, there are those for which the mere badge of 'Pro' on the carton packaging is enough to salivate :)

drummerman said:
abacus said:

Bill

Agree with MQA and it was one of the reasons I have not bought another DAC yet (I use a Dragonfly 1.2 but was looking at the new baby Chord, however there seem to be some issues in the context of a stationary set up). Meridians own USB DAC's are, at present, I think the cheapest way to aquire the facility.

I am glad that you said 'in most' cases 'pro' equipment is 'better designed and significantly cheaper'.

I think you have to quantify what price range you are talking about and depending on that you may want to change 'most' to 'some'.

Cheaper 'Pro' equipment, say up to a few hundred quid, especially when it comes to active speakers and amplifiers are probably as much removed from 'Pro' as you can get. Cheap chinese made boxes with often noisy electronics of questionable reliability. - No 'Pro' on the planet would use such stuff though they're probably good enough for your average weekend bedroom DJ. - Add to that design touches that often make a 5 quid Tesco toaster look like a work of art ... you get it.

Pointless to generalise, either way. Some cheap hifi may be compromised but sure as hell so are some cheap 'Pro' products. When I tried some cheap actives it started to sound good with ADAM's at about £600/pair and yet they still look like something from the industrial revolution. Below that everything I heard was ... dire imho (and just as ugly).

Still, there are those for which the mere badge of 'Pro' on the carton packaging is enough to salivate :)

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about MQA at the moment as there is, currently, next to b*gger all available in this package.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about MQA at the moment as there is, currently, next to b*gger all available in this package.

Still? People seem to have been talking about it as the Second Coming of Music for ever! What's taking so long?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
abacus said:

Bill

Yep.

Tidal is said to be using it for their HR streaming ... if it ever happens.

drummerman said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
abacus said:

Bill

Yep.

Tidal is said to be using it for their HR streaming ... if it ever happens.

Not too sure about who is or isn't likely to use it for streaming as its not currently important to my agenda. There are a limited number of downloads available I understand from a very limited number of providers and these are mainly classical recordings (as usual :) )

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
DomCheetham said:
The Mutec MC3+ is twice the cost of my DAC. I'm sure the law of diminshing returns apply.

Thanks for the replys.

Fair play dude but remember it because at some point it may not be twice the price of your dac or you want want to step your system up.

The Mutec for £700 is a steal. Elevates the sound of very high end kit by quite a considerable margin and I mean people with my better kit than mine have told me this and unlike a lot of people that actually know what good sound is.
These are the types of kit that should have and does have outstanding usb inputs. So imagine what it does to the rest.
Digital harshness in my system is completely gone it's an amazing product

Dom

ellisdj said:
DomCheetham said:
The Mutec MC3+ is twice the cost of my DAC. I'm sure the law of diminshing returns apply.

Thanks for the replys.

Fair play dude but remember it because at some point it may not be twice the price of your dac or you want want to step your system up.

The Mutec for £700 is a steal. Elevates the sound of very high end kit by quite a considerable margin and I mean people with my better kit than mine have told me this and unlike a lot of people that actually know what good sound is. These are the types of kit that should have and does have outstanding usb inputs. So imagine what it does to the rest. Digital harshness in my system is completely gone it's an amazing product

Thanks for the input, I will give it more consideration. I will be upgrading my DAC soon but I'm going to buy the Hifiman HE-560's first though. Glad to hear its such an amazing product.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
DomCheetham said:
ellisdj said:
DomCheetham said:
The Mutec MC3+ is twice the cost of my DAC. I'm sure the law of diminshing returns apply.

Thanks for the replys.

The Mutec for £700 is a steal. Elevates the sound of very high end kit by quite a considerable margin and I mean people with my better kit than mine have told me this and unlike a lot of people that actually know what good sound is. These are the types of kit that should have and does have outstanding usb inputs. So imagine what it does to the rest. Digital harshness in my system is completely gone it's an amazing product

Thanks for the input, I will give it more consideration. I will be upgrading my DAC soon but I'm going to buy the Hifiman HE-560's first though. Glad to hear its such an amazing product.

Ifi products seem decent I have an ifi mini ipower but it's not powering anything for sound. A pal uses one as well and rates it.

Make sure you post some feedback on here.

All the best

Dom

It came today, I was already up after 3 hours sleep. Its getting more common these days.

The sound is softer with more detail in the texture, better air and the bass is better defined. Great product.

Basicaly it works. *biggrin*

Dom

Something I have not mentioned was the treble, it seems to give it alot of attack. This is down to my DAC. Its no bad thing just suprising. The treble has more detail but a little crunchy.

Again this is the fault of my DAC (Music Fidelity M1).

The iFi iPurifier 2 is really good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts